Topeak Comp 150 Computer

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 30 grams MSRP : $45.00

Topeak Comp 150 Wireless Cycling Computer easily mounts to any type of bike and fork.

Submitted by MArtinGC a Weekend Warrior from Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to read, easy to atachs, longs lasting battery life (both, comp and transmitter), used in 2 bikes

Weaknesses:    transmitter strap, if you cut it, cant change it on another bik, or fork

Bottom Line:
Excelent view, read while ride, no problem and very light

Favorite Trail:   Nevado Toluca vulcano

Purchased At:   Viansi

Bike Setup:   Spesialized XC, Shimano LX, XT, Hayes, Kenda Navegal, Marzocci

Submitted by NE_fsrxc a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Simple, easy to use, durable, fairly small size and light.

Weaknesses:    Agree with others that the instructions are poorly designed. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this thing out. Bar mount is ridiculously bulky.

Bottom Line:
Great value for a wireless unit. I've put mine through rain and mud, crashes and blazing sun. Only time i had to replace it was traveling 40 mph down a hill and I switch hand positions and accidently knocked it off. Smacked the road. It actually worked after that, but I couldn't get the body to fit together properly. Overall rating of 4 because of the unrefined bar mount.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker Forest

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   I use it on 2 mountain bikes and a road bike

Submitted by CJ a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    They had a mediocre customer service depending on how you look at it, they sent me out a new transmitter real quick but didnt actually help with my problem

Weaknesses:    Instruction are almost impossible to understand, i was never able to get it to work. Went through instruction and checked set up 5+ times and never found the problem.

Bottom Line:
If you can get this guy to work then you have your self a product with a lot of options. But the bottom line is i returned it for a cateye vectra and havent looked back.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    Large, easy to read display. Cheap price. Consistant and apparently accurate readout.

Weaknesses:    Sensor mounting system. Only one button on the main unit to navigate through different functions. Hard to follow instruction manual.

Bottom Line:
The computer functions the way it was designed to. I especially like the lube and maintenence reminder. The main weaknesses are the sensor mounting system which consists of a slightly modified zip-tie(has a release so that it can be removed without having to cut it) and foam adhesive strips. The foam adhesive strips make it more difficult to get the sensor properly adjusted than it needs to be. They would have been better off using a non-slip rubber strip instead, that way it wouldn't tear if you needed to re-adjust the sensor. One improvement to this model would be to add a second button to the face of the main unit. In order to get into the set up menu, you have to remove the unit from the mount and push in a button on the back of the unit and the button on the front of the unit simultaneously.

However, once the unit it is installed it seems secure and appears that it will provide years of reliable service. Like I said earlier, so far the computer itself works very well and haven't had any problems with it. I would just like to see slight modifications in the mounting system in future models. For being wireless it works very well. I would purchase this product again.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Tom a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2007

Strengths:    reliable, cheap, simple to use/install, easy to read, same colour as xtr. single button easy to use.

Weaknesses:    no backlight and ugly transmitter.

Bottom Line:
why not? i had one for 3 years and broke it when i crashed. i replaced it with a sigma dts speedo and had trouble with its massive fluctuations in speed,that the lbs couldnt fix, and transmitter that fell off, (also no way near as easy to install as the topeak speedo).
So i bought a topeak 150 again. it has only failed me once with a flat battery in the transmitter.
In my opinion the mounting system was ideal. easy on, easy off and pretty darn secure.
the newer one i bought has a newer mounting system where it holds the speedo over the stem. but the part the head unit clips onto is just the same.
and just to update the review by jonathan, the cabletie on the transmitter/sensor is a removable cabletie, just press a flathead screwdriver or fingernail on the clip at the back and undo.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   sigma 1606l dts with the cadence kit, and another topeak comp 150

Bike Setup:   xtr everything with sid w/c, custom paintjob...blah blah blah

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Wireless works very well! Full of functions.

Weaknesses:    Poor mounting system - seems to be typical with Topeak. If you want to remove the sensor from the fork, you have to cut it off! Very confusing to use, even though there's just one button. Instruction manual almost pointless, due to how confusing it is written.

Bottom Line:
Good for $25, but I would not pay full price for it. I'd suggest making your own mount using hose clamps instead of using their mount. I like the one button function for simplicity, but it's a very confusing computer to use due to the poor instruction manual.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote Creek

Purchased At:   Performace Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cheap wired computers.

Dual Position Pike 150/120 on Spider Comp

I am quite interested in getting a Dual Position Pike 150 with a 51mm offset. Most of the time the fork will be on 120 setting. I have the following questions which I need answers before I make my decision. What would be the HTA of the Spider Comp if the fork is at 150/120 and will the 51mm of ... Read More »

Talas 32 150 black in Enduro comp 2009

Hi, I got 2009 Enduro comp. My local terrain has many long and steep ascents, before I get to the fun. I was wondering if the Talas fork (instead of the Float RL) will make my climbing much more easily. Now it feels like the front wheel is on the air, and when I take my body forward the rear whe ... Read More »

Trophy Comp X7, 150 miles later

Well, I feel a review is in order since I logged a bunch of miles. I like the bike. Its definitly lighter, or so it seems, than the other crap bikes I used to own. It shifts nicely, brakes nicely after some adjustments and is a pleasure to ride. The pedals arent as bad as I have read. This is my ... Read More »