Suunto Vector Computer

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Suunto Vector

Submitted by 7ohnnyramone a Cross Country Rider from Waverly, TN USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    Great Strap and case.

Weaknesses:    Altimeter needs re-calibration often. Compass does too, although not quite as often.

Bottom Line:
I've owned both a Casio Pathfinder PAW 1200T and the Suunto Vector. The Casio I have is one year older than the Suunto. I had the Casio while I was serving in Iraq. Bought the Suunto because it was "rubberized" and I could use it as an all-around, beat up watch with many of the same functions.

In the time I've had the Suunto Vector it has lost a function button cover. One day I noticed that one of the black plastic covers was missing. This didn't affect the function of the watch, it was only a cosmetic cover, hiding the silver button. But it was a little disheartening in that I had two choices, replace the cover or remove the remaining three covers. I contacted Suunto about the issue and was told that I had to send it in for repair. After much discussion and cajoling, I managed to get them to mail me a button cover and installed it myself. While looking for the serial number for the watch, I took off the battery cover.... wrong! First, the serial number is on the back, at the bottom of the case, in very small black numbers on the black plastic case. Very difficult to see, you have to angle it in the light just to see it!!! Putting the battery cover back on is a BEAR of a task. The seal is very difficult to get back in the case. As you re-fit the battery cover, you have to stuff the seal in. A ver slow and tedious process! But one that is crucial to maintaining waterproof integrity! Don't blow it!!!

Recently, I noticed that one of the watch pins that hold the watch band on, a long thin "screw" that has a long shaft with one end that is actually a small threaded screw, was missing. Turns out the part that is missing is the small screw end that screws into the long shaft/pin. Getting another/replacement involves buy a complete new rubber watchband with watch pins. In all, I had to spend $20 for a screw that couldn't cost more than $1 retail.

In closing I'll say this... My Casio Pathtfinder PAW1200T hasn't had a single issue since day one! The difference in price was about $20-$30 cost. The Suunto cost me about $165, while the Pathfinder cost me $189. Would I buy another Suunto, NO! Would I recommend one to a friend? Only if he was an idiot and I didn't like him!!!

In passing I'll say this... I've owned numerous Casio G-Shocks. Casio makes a GREAT product that lasts. I have one G-Shock that is more than 20 years old and still works. I have a Casio G-Shock MR-G Titanium that is more than 10 years old and is still running and has the original watch band!!!
You often get more than what you paid for when you buy a Casio product!

Suunto? Nah, I don't think so.

Purchased At:   AAFES-Camp Shelby, M

Similar Products Used:   Casio Pathfinder PAW 1200T - if you're going to buy a Suunto, get this instead!

Submitted by J Milner a Cross Country Rider from Fayetteville, NC, US

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this watch because I thought that as a soldier it would be a valueable asset for my job. To be honest I have been more satisfied with a basic Ironman and military compass.

The first week out in the field the watch face was so fragile it became scratched to the point I could no longer read the numbers (which when I sent it back after only owning it for 2 weeks was told it was no longer under warranty and had to pay another nearly $100)

When I got the new watch the dial fell off when I rubbed it against the refrigerator door, and now the face is scratch again after rubbing it accidently against the wall!!! (not to sturdy)

In theory this watch sounds great but everyone I have talked to in the military that owns this watch expresses the same issues, even measurements such as the temperature are routinely off by 20 degrees

I couldn't recommend not buying this watch more strongly

Submitted by Joedi a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    The Suunto Vector could easily be read under strong sunlight. I love the altimeter! I also get positive comments on how great it looks. Its so big that it catches the eyes of people.

Weaknesses:    You cant use the compass for long periods. it goes on "sleep mode" after a while so you have to press a button to activate it again.
you cannot also use the compass for prolonged periods at night since the light is only on for a few seconds.
The "glass" cover is easily scratched, kinda weird for being an outdoors gadget which would be exposed to all the elements.

Bottom Line:
Cool Gadget! A must for an outdoorsman.

Favorite Trail:   beach or anywhere with great views

Purchased At:   Time Depot Philippin

Similar Products Used:   Casio G Shock Riseman

Submitted by Bill Lionheart from UK

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent altimeter, rate of climb, memory.

Weaknesses:    Nice big display but poor viewing angle. Compass needs regular claibration

Bottom Line:
Great altimeter watch. Better than made easier to use than casio equivalent. Useless as a compass. More details on my blog:

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Can be mounted on handlebars with assesory

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    durable, large watch face. easy to read. good back light. easy to setup for novice.

Weaknesses:    none, so far.

Bottom Line:
I haven't had this Suunto ALTIMAX altimeter for more than a few weeks but I already feel very comfortable with it's basic features. This is a very serious altimeter. I know enough now to calibrate, set the logbook, check logbook history, check descent rates, ascent rates, etc. As times goes by, I will pick up new things here and there. The learning curve wasn't as steep as I had expected. I use my Suunto for mountain biking and road riding. The other day, I was out riding off-road for 2 hours and climbed a total of 1400ft.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Bike Setup:   does it really matter when I'm reviewing an altimeter?

Submitted by Michael Nerdbucket a Downhiller from Exmouth

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Strengths:    It tells the time man, cool!
When I fell out of a plane the numbers went down real fast. I mean REAL FAST man! And it beeped a lot!

Weaknesses:    It needs batteries to work, bummer!

Bottom Line:
I like it.
But the sundial you can like get loads of birds eating seed off it in the summer in your back garden. The watch they just kind of pecked it then s**t all over it!

Favorite Trail:   The long and winding one

Purchased At:   A shop

Similar Products Used:   A sun dial. Too big for wrist but doesnt need batteries, environmentally friendly man!

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, handle bars and a bell.

Submitted by Myron Schaffer a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, large display, altimeter is linked to barometer (unlike the twin sensor Casio).

Weaknesses:    Somewhat prone to scratches (should have had a titanium ring bezel instead of plastic), complicated way of displaying sea-level barometric pressure (too menu hidden). Small 'baro' trend as compared to Casio twin sensor. What time is 0:00 am? The electroluminescent diplay is not very bright (probably due to battery saving). Only time will tell if the stock band will not crack and break due to my oils from my skin like the Casios. I hope that the time keeping will not be as inaccurate as the 15+ seconds a month leap as the Casios. (see The Bottom Line) The display is hard to read at a low viewing angle (But now that I think about it, my Casio twin sensor had a 'high twist' to the pixels when a new battery was installed and made it equally hard to view at low angles)

Bottom Line:
Good overall value, and once the operation without the manual is mastered, it should be a good wrist computer. I say computer because it does a lot more than the average Casio or altimeter combo. It should have a software timebase adjustment for aging of the crystal or precise alignment to WWV. I got my Casio twin sensor to hold time to within 3 seconds a month! (because of its internal variable capacitor adjustment) Anybody serious about quality should invest in this watch, it will amaze you. The only thing it lacks is a way to measure humidity and wind speed. (It'll have the Kestrel 3000 beat if it did!)

Purchased At:   McGuckin Hardware, Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Casio twin sensor

Submitted by la tzeca from ticino, switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Strengths:    Very accurate heigh measurement, lots of "additional informations" (actual climb rate m/min, logbook that trace the climb, etc)

Weaknesses:    The one and only: the size

Bottom Line:
If you are ready to give an answer to all people that continuosly ask "what the hell are you wearing at your wrist ?", and you need a good altimeter, the suunto is a very good choice.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet vertech

Submitted by Rado a Cross Country Rider from Bratislava, Slovakia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    weight, big display, VERY easy to use - manual once readed, forever remembered :-), accuracy, precision, air-bubble in plexi-glass :-) (when you really use compass, it's a neccesary!), vertical alarm, one-button access to compass mode,

Weaknesses:    light, big on my hand, only 30 m waterproof (it's guaranted only 500 mm of water-bar), problemous buttons, a little bit higher price

Bottom Line:
Simply - it's a Suunto. It have a bigger range (-500 to +9 000 m) as Casio; higher precision: (f.e.) 5-10 m difference versus Casio's 40 m in 1500 m vertical ascenting. Better trip-logging (customize interval 20s, 1, 10 min, 1 hour), Casio's graphic display looks good, but you don't know altitude exactly. Suunto is lighter (you can feel it on bike).