Supergo wireless 18 function Computer

3.32/5 (19 Reviews)

supergo wireless 18 function

Submitted by Manuel a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Strengths:    Seems to offer a great value, big display, BUT...

Weaknesses:    Stopped working the third time I used it and had to return it.

Bottom Line:
I got it because of the large display and wirelessness -and also the price seemed right.

I used it three times. The first two times were sunny days and it seemed to work fine -althoug the display was a bit hard to read sometimes.

The thrird time, it started raining and water got in the computer in a matter of a few minutes.

The display went blank and one could actually see a little puddle of water sloshing around on the bottom of the screen, inside of the computer. I was very annoyed at first, but seeing the water inside of the display was so ridiculous it actually cracked me up.

Supergo offered a replacement but I declined. I want my money back.

My advice: get this toy computer if you ride in Saudi Arabia only.

I'm going back to cateye or some other brand name.

Similar Products Used:   cateye

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur 2003, fox 100 rlt, XT, discs, & all the good stuff.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from BMO, MD

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    wireless for less, nop wires to get cut, really good reception, lots of functions

Bottom Line:
great for price and for what it is, 5 flamin' chilis all around, baby

Similar Products Used:   specialized, supergo wired

Bike Setup:   cdale f1000 mars c, shimano, sram

Submitted by Rulotac a Weekend Warrior from costa rica

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    easy to install
no failure

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
I do not understand why many people has had problem with this product. Being my first computer i thought I would have problems installing it. In ten minutes it was ready. I have used for three months with no problem. So far I have not used it under rain. The only problem I had was resetting it for each ride. Besides that, no porblem at all.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   First time

Bike Setup:   Specialized hard comp

Submitted by Ty a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Supergo wireless 17.
This thing rules, it mounted easy it keeps a good record of your ride.

Bottom Line:
It works and works well.

Favorite Trail:   Hobby Park

Bike Setup:   GT Rebound, Judy xc. and of course my Supergo 17

Submitted by Ben Logan a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    cost

Weaknesses:    didn't work

Bottom Line:
It didn't work out of the package-- the tiny contact pads didn't line up. I had to mount the reciever up next to my brakes to get any signal at all. By grabbing it a certain way, in a second you can erase all of the odometer, tire size settings etc... Yesterday it broke off the bike uder its own power-- a road bike-- on a smooth road. I keep convincing myself to buy inexpensive computers, but this is like my third in 6 months, so do yourself a favor and spend money on an avocet or vetta.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   vetta c-15, specialized speed zone, multiple avocets

Bike Setup:   GT ZR-1000 ultegra-D.A. commuter

Submitted by John Jefferies a Cross Country Rider from San Angelo,TX,United States

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Worked extremely better than friends expensive Specialized computer, and the SuperGo was wireless and Specialized was not. The computer has already gone through 20 hardcore busts and it is still running like a champ.

Weaknesses:    After about 5 hard busts you have to adjust the transmitter a tiny bit to pick up readings.

Bottom Line:
This wireless computer is 100 times better than my buddies expensive Specialized and Cateye. Also, the computer was at least half the cost of the other computers listed. You would be foolish to overlook this wireless wonder.

Favorite Trail:   Potts Creek

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Specialized

Bike Setup:   GT i-drive 2.0

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    No Wire

Weaknesses:    No Wire

Bottom Line:
It didn't work. Either the transmitter would not get a signal to the reciever or the receiver would not pick up the signal if over 6 or 8 inches apart. Needs to pick up at about 24 inches apart to have the thing properly mounted. Submitted question to Supergo with no response except for the automatic e-mail that says they received yours.

Wired computers are a little bit of a hassle, but the auto start/stop on the Nashbar unit ($12) works wonderfully. It automatically starts even if the computer was off. The wireless unit won't do this.

My rating is a combination of lack of customer service and experience with a friends that did "work".

Favorite Trail:   Big Rocks and/or Steep Downhill

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye, Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, 7 speed

Submitted by Shelby a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, S.C.

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    No Customer support. Unit quits at the first sign of rain.
This thing will produce enough vibration noise to drive
you crazy!! Not Auto Start/Stop as published.

Bottom Line:
First off let me say that Supergo.com has gotten the last
dollar they will ever get from me. Customer support does not exist there, however, they are very quick to sell you
various pieces of @#&T !! They will not return any email
that deals with refunds, or defective products that sport
there name. As far as this Computer goes, DON'T WASTE
YOUR TIME OR MONEY. It's a piece of CRAP!! It does not
work when ridden in the rain. The buttons on the unit
itself are very loose, causing a vibration noise that will
drive you crazy. Bottom line: Forget it or you'll be sorry!

Similar Products Used:   Bell wireless Computer

Bike Setup:   853 steel, ultegra gruppo, Rolf comps/Axial Pro's

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from N. Kingston, RI

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive wireless
dual bike capability
all the functions I wanted

Weaknesses:    mounting braket
the product itself
incessant rattling noise the buttons make

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I normally believe that to a degree price=quality, and to a degree high price=bullsh*t.....
This is the first computer that I ever purchased, as I wanted to use it for a little bit of exploring, and to find out distance and time, and everything else... Well, mounting the bracket was not possible on my bar- even with the shim that thing would not stay straight, so it had to be taped on. But, hey- no big deal.
However, at the beginning of my second ride with it (mind you- the first ride was a small, local test ride just to make sure that it worked), it would not change out of the odometer mode. Then, it just started with some arabic crap and up and quit. I had not even gotten off of the logging road and onto the trail! How would this thing function on an ACTUAL trail? I was quite upset at the time, and was going on a ride where I was very much looking forward to using it's functions.
Like I said- bottom line is that you do get what you pay for, next time I'd rather spend the extra bucks to get a higher quality product, as this one just did not cut the cake. It's one saving grace appears to be Supergo itself- although I am not too happy with them for putting their name on an obviously inferior product, they did take the item back and refund my money when they concurred that it was broken after shipping it back to them.
Next time I will spend the extra money for a product that will actually work.....

Favorite Trail:   Gotta say Mt. Tom/Arcadia

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   GT Xizang Ti, Marzocchi, WI cranks- Middleburn rings, the rest is XT/XTR, Bontrager Race and Thompson elite extras

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from York, PA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of clicking in and out of mount.

Weaknesses:    slow speedometer update. Has done a hard reset a few times unintentionaly (very likely my own stupidity)

Bottom Line:
Good cheap wireless computer. Yeah, it takes some time to find the best way to securely attach both the mount and transmitter for your specific bike, but once you do it's a pretty solid setup.

Bike Setup:   Moab 1 stock

Submitted by James Biggerstaff a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    Price, visibility, dual wheel size, easily comes on and off of the braket on bike.

Weaknesses:    I was going to say none, but when switching wheelsize I have accidentally cleared the computer a couple of times.

Bottom Line:
I have logged over 500 miles both on the road, and mountain biking and it works great. The only thing is remembering to turn it on. It is the first computer I purchased, and I would buy the same brand again....it is a no brainer. When you compare price and functions it rates the highest. I haven't been gentle with mine, and it has held up exceptionally well compared to other computer reviews I have read. P.S. I wouldn' whine if I broke my computer......I would just buy another one and tell the story of my crash!

Favorite Trail:   McAllister Park

Purchased At:   SUPERGO.COM

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Response with 2 sets of wheels, one for road, and one for offroad.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Green Bay, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of use, large display, unit locks firmly into mount with a snap.

Weaknesses:    Transmitter is hard to position on fork to get it close to the spoke mounted magnet.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a great product. There are no wires to get hung up and tear while plowing through the underbrush. The head unit snaps firmly into place on the mount, and doesn't move even in the roughest terrain. The unit is easy to use with the 2 button design.
I had a little difficulty mounting the transmitter to the front fork. Because of its size, and the size of my forks, it sat out too far from the spokes to get a reading as the magnet went by. I had to turn it quite a bit to get it to register. I was also able to further fix the problem by using a magnet that had a longer shaft mounted on it so I wouldn't have to turn the transmitter quite so far in towards the spokes.
I have to agree with some of the other reviews in that the cable ties seem somewhat small and inadequate. I purchased a package of slightly larger more heavy duty ties at the local hardware store. They fit snugly through the mounting holes in the transmitter, and seem to be doing a pretty good job of holding it in place. The transmitter still wanted to slide down the forks when I was riding on rough terrain, but that was fixed by putting another cable tie under the transmitter. A unit like this is well suited for raod riding, but watch for that slippage when going offroad. A little superglue under the transmitter may help this problem as well.
My only other request would be to make the range a little better on the unit. It would be much easier to mount the transmitter on the rear of a full suspension bike like mine. There is a horizontal tube that would be more accommodating to the transmitter unit, prevent the downward slipping that seems to want to happen, and its easier to get the unit closer to the spokes to get a reading. When I tried it, it was just out of the range to get a reading. Any suggestion as to how to beef up the transmitting so I could mount it in back would be appreciated.
Great product overall, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. For the price, it has all the functions you could want, and none of the wires.