Sports Instruments SI 90 series Computer

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

The Sports Instruments SI 90 Series of cycle computers is a result of intelligent engineering, intuitive functionality and ergonomic design. Created for the weekend enthusiast as well as the professional cyclist, the SI 90 series delivers the goods in a large easy-to-read format. With its simple-to-navigate interface, you can access the information you need without being distracted from the ride. The SI 90 Series is not another generation of cycle computers, but truly, the new standard.

Submitted by Kittymama a Weekend Warrior from Lake Forest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Weaknesses:    How do I contact Sports Instruments to find out why the screen on my SI 90 fades out? I've replaced the battery and the same thing happens.

Bottom Line:
I've been happy with it until now, and just need an answer so hopefully I won't have to buy a new one.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Trek mountain bike

Submitted by sjsulongboard a Weekend Warrior from Gilroy, CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    Simple to use. Reliable. Durable. Big buttoms.

Weaknesses:    Only has ATM. Stop watch is a nice to have. Otherwise its total qulity and value is great.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. I used to race XC but have toned it down a bit. I am getting back into it. I am actually very happy that my SI90 still works.

Favorite Trail:   Demo Forest in Santa Cruz Mts

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   A variety of Cat Eyes that I have broken previously.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Super Lite. High-end race ready.

Submitted by rlim a Weekend Warrior from Markham, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Very accurate - I compared the speed against my GPS and it was dead on!

Simple to use and love the wireless heart rate monitor.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money!!

For those trying to figure how to reset the unit ... Go to SPD/ATM. Press and hold the 2 buttons for 2 seconds and it will reset ATM, DST, AVS, MXS, and Heart Rate.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Guerciotti Ares

Submitted by jijones5023 a Weekend Warrior from Clearfield PA US

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    How do you reset the SI90? I can't figure it out. Can't find manual

Bottom Line:
Works great, Alot of information. Hard to reset.

Favorite Trail:   Rails to Trails

Purchased At:   Bike World

Submitted by jesse a Racer from carmel, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
hey, i got the si-90-hr and I am having trouble figuring out how to reset it after a ride. i got back on my bike 3 days after the first use and the numbers are still there from the first ride. i tried pushing every button and that didnt work, so i am forced now to ask for help. thanks

Purchased At:   nashbar

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Orange County Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    Compact, easy to read, all components wireless in one unit including HR with all the necessary info and no waste. I own 4 bikes and have on every bike.

Weaknesses:    Chest strap elastic could use some improvement. SI send me elastic replacements at no charge which was very cool.

Bottom Line:
This is the best computer made if you want an HR and all the necessary info in one unit. Mounts easy and reads easy without having to read a novel to understand it.

Favorite Trail:   Viper

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list, I wouldn't go back.

Bike Setup:   Tarmac E5 / Scott CR1 / 5900 SL /5.9Madone

Submitted by Alikkon a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2004

Strengths:    small, clean design. Integrated HRM, shows all that's needed

Weaknesses:    So far, bad luck in the cold. No audible "out of zone" alarm (which is the funk when you get up above 200bpm)

Bottom Line:
Review is for the SI90-HR

The unit is very nice, and I've found that if you keep the computer within range of the HR transmitter, it won't shut off automatically.

I've gone to moving the computer between my two bikes, and have discovered, unfortunately, that it doesn't seem to like mid-40 degree temperatures much. On the road bike, the comp stops reading from the speed transmitter when it gets down in to the 40 degree range. Other than that, no major complaints.

Definitely recommend it for anyone looking to get an inexpensive HRM/Cyclocomp combo. If you're worried about the lack of audible zone alert, don't bother though.

Similar Products Used:   oldskool wired cateye

Bike Setup:   2004 Ibex Ignition-2 - so not stock.

Submitted by karl a Racer from deerfield beach

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Nice quality and finish. Seems to be accurate.

Weaknesses:    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the SI 90 HR/cycle computer. I installed the unit on the stem, but I can't remove it from the mounting bracket once it's snapped into place. Other than this, the quality and finish seems fine so far.

Thanks for all feedback.

Cheers

Bottom Line:
Need to know how to un-snap the computer from the stem mounting bracket. Other than this, it appears to be a very nice product.

Submitted by Ernest Q a Racer from Rochester NY

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to read, use, compact, wireless with heart rate to boot. The computer stays attached to the bar clip and does not fall on. When it's on it stays clipped on.

Weaknesses:    The transmitter quit working BUT due to the great customer service a new free one was sent. Thumbs up to the people at Sports Instruments.

Bottom Line:
Here is the bottom line on this product. First it is a great little computer/heart rate monitor. Second a product does not become a great product until the people that make it stand behind their product 100%. Customer service, defines where a product becomes a great product. I had purchased the SI 90HR on ebay used. I used it for a year. Then this year the transmitter quit working. I sent an email to SI describing to them my problem. They though it was the transmitter so they sent a new one for free. Bingo, I am back on the road clicking off miles. Bill at SI said that their transmitter should never fail and so a new transmitter was sent free of charge. This is what I am talking about: dedication to their customers.
In contrast the Vetta HR1000 quit working also. I tried Vetta's customer service: let me not go there right now because the words I would use to describe them would not be fit for this website....

Favorite Trail:   any smooth road :-)

Similar Products Used:   Vetta HR 1000, Cateye

Bike Setup:   Colnago C-40 (geo paint scheme), Campagnolo Chorus.

Submitted by Clem Parkin a Cross Country Rider from Meridian, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    strong transmitter --
Easy to read and easy to operate

Weaknesses:    (1) For me, the five minutes to auto-shut-off is too short, 60 minutes would be better.
(2)It completly reset itself and I lost all of my settings -- I may have zaped it with some static electricity when I put it into my pocket after a ride.
(3) Trip milage appears to be limitted to about 320 miles on my unit.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A REVIEW UPDATE from 05-31-02
Short-shut-off time is less a problem now that I've learned to check it more often after short stops.

Sports Instruments was quick to answer my questions and problems I initialy had.

Favorite Trail:   any that lead out of town

Similar Products Used:   wired products

Bike Setup:   Bruce Gordon touring bike, 37X700c, drop bars, handlebar bag and front panniers, Lum-o-tec light with a Shmidt front hub dynamo.

Submitted by Wade a Racer from Mid Tenn

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    Simple, durable, functional.

Weaknesses:    doesn't keep you connected to the web and won't play DVD's.

Bottom Line:
Love this HRM. I started back riding hard and racing two years ago and needed something to watch my 35yo ticker. Now I've learned all about zone training and do it always.

I needed a HRM and cyclo-puter at the same time. This SI package filled the bill nicely.

I had some technical questions and they were handled promptly by someone who knew exactly what was happening. RARE THESE DAYS.

Get one! I have to get two more for my other rides.

Favorite Trail:   fast n twisty

Similar Products Used:   old cateyes and stuff -never had a HRM

Bike Setup:   Turner

Submitted by FritzMan a Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    Bike and HRM all in one. Wireless is cool. Good looking, large display, and works well.

Weaknesses:    My biggest issue is that there is no average HRM display, nor peak HR. Sometimes, the buttons stick a little. Fork mount too loose (easy to fix though). No mutiple Zone setting.

Bottom Line:
All in all, for the price I can't fault it. I just *really* wish there was an average HR feature. That would make it so much easier to get LT, instead on constantly staring at the display and approximating the average HR. Mutiple Zone setting would also be cool, especially when a Zone 4 or 5 is targeted, but you'd like to see how much of Zone 2 and 3 you're in. Supplied wheel magnet weighed a lot, used the previous Cateye lighter weight instead.

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   None in HRM. Cateye before (wires always broke, display faded, etc...)

Bike Setup:   SantaCruz Superlight, SRAM, Raceface, Mavic Crossmax UST. Yeah, she's a sweet ride.

Submitted by Clem Parkin a Cross Country Rider from Meridian, Idaho

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    powerful transmitter, reliable readings

Weaknesses:    (1) Auto-shut-off and no auto-start. Mine will auto-shut-off in the time I'm waiting for a stop light to change.
(2)I hope the battery will last a long time because once it is snapped onto the mounting bracket, it won't come off and the battery appears to be in-accessible

Bottom Line:
I'm pleased with everything except the short shut-off time and no auto-start-up. I have no idea how well it will perform over time or in cold & wet weather but it seems to be well made.

Purchased At:   on line