Specialized Speedzone Elite Wireless Computer

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2013

Strengths:    I love the elevation gain feature.
Large speed display
Very rugged

Weaknesses:    Would like to have descent elevation also.

Bottom Line:
I have used this computer on my mtb for about a year now with no problems. Had to change the battery once but it is an easy task. The wheel speed sensor has a funny battery but haven't had to change that yet. I've been over the bars a few times with this on the bike and it has not failed. I recommend it.

Submitted by Larry a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use, elevation gain is nice.

Weaknesses:    Short battery life, special tool needed to change battery, elevation grade is too erratic to be of any use. I would avoid this POS

Bottom Line:
I have had this less than a year and since it is mounted on my Bike Friday it doesn't get much use. I tried to get a second mount kit to use it on my road bike but Specialized has been out of them for 9 months.

Today I went to use it and the battery was dead, no problem I thought I have a spared cr2032. But you need a special micro philipshead screwdriver to remove the access plate. That sucks - I've got to take it to a Specialized store to have the battery replaced.

Duration Product Used:   PDR to Golden Cove

Purchased At:   PV Bike

Similar Products Used:   Echo W1

Bike Setup:   Rambouillet road frame set up for light touring.

Submitted by RedChip a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very easy to read and set up as well as usable on the trainer AND the road. I also like the temperature function - not necessary, but entertaining. The price makes it a very good value.

Weaknesses:    I wish the mounting system was with the traditional tiny nut and bolt instead of zip-ties so you can adjust the angle.

Bottom Line:
This a replacement for an older Specialized Elite that finally died after seven years and many thousands of miles of good service. I wanted something that I could use on both the road and on my trainer, so it needed to have rear wheel pick-up for the speedometer as well as a cadence function, and this one has it.
So far the only complaint is the mounting system: it attaches to the handlebar with zip-ties as opposed to a bolt and nut. When I first mounted it, I had the angle wrong and was getting too much reflected glare to read it so I had to cut the zip-ties and put on new ones. Since I didn't have a pair of zip-ties in my jersey, I had to wait until my ride was done to fix it. Not that big of a deal, just an annoyance to dampen the enthusiasm of riding with a new dashboard.

Duration Product Used:   They're all good

Purchased At:   Don's Bike Shop in G

Similar Products Used:   '01 Specialized Elite

Bike Setup:   B.U. Tifful old school carbon frame with aluminum lugs.

Submitted by bikn4fn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Strengths:    I like all of the display options and display combinations. BIG mph display makes it easy to read at a glance.

Weaknesses:    Not exactly wild about the way the cadance magnet is attached to the crank. It looks like it might be able to work its way loose. Only time will tell.

Bottom Line:
Previously owned the Specialized Sport. It got wet and "died". I wasn't looking for a display that showed cadance, but now I think it's a nice option to have. I also like the ability to set the ODO. I was able to transfer my miles previously recorded on the Sport into the Elite (at least I didn't lose my total milage).

Duration Product Used:   Maui Downhill

Purchased At:   SpinDoctorCycleWerks

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Sport - this one got wet in a rainstorm and needed to be replaced. Went with the Specialied Elite

Bike Setup:   Fairly easy. The first bike took a little longer because I was being "extra careful" (about 1 hr). The second bike took less than 1/2 the time (since I knew what I was doing). I found it better to run the cable along the top tube instead of the down tube (like suggested). I didn't feel comfortable running under the crankset.