Specialized 98-01Speedzone Team Computer

3.3/5 (53 Reviews)

Specialized Wireless Speedzone

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Orange County California USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Nice looking plastic, wireless seems like a great idea on a suspension fork; if only it would keep track of things like distance and speed. It was cheap (now I know why).

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work. When I first bought this it took approx 2 hours to find a combination of precise location on the fork for the sensor and location on the handlebar for the receiver. Very shaky. Hadn't ridden that bike in a while, found computer was not working, so replaced both batteries (transmitter and receiver) with new ones (yes, I checked them on a good battery tester and they are really good batteries) and I cannot find any position where this computer will work. If I hold the receiver in my hand behind the handlebar, it will just have enough range to pick up the sensor with the sensor slid all the way up the fork. During the short time it did work (200 miles) I also really hated the 6 second delay before it starts to read your speed and the 6 second delay after you stop (you stop, and then watch as your speed slowly decreases, even though you know you are at 0 mph).

Bottom Line:
Specialized is a respectable company - but they really blew it with this computer. They should offer a free trade in program for anyone who got stuck with this one. But, hey, at least they make the best water bottles.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Several Cateyes during last 20 years. I have never had a computer I did not like, until this one.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS-2000

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from KS

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Wireless
Neat layout
Works Great

Bottom Line:
I love it. I've had it over 3 years & only replaced one battery. Just last weekend I was riding in MAJOR mud & It still kept reading even coated with mud.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Trek ST120

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Nice large display. Ease of use and position of buttons. Appearance. Wireless. Reliability. Ability to easily disconnect the computer from the mount.

Weaknesses:    Water resistance could be improved. Mine got condensation inside after riding in the rain. The condensation ruined it.

Bottom Line:
This was a good computer. I got about 3 years of use out of it, during which time it took a beating. The computer is all scratched up from crashes and getting dropped, etc. I will be upgrading to one of the Specialized Speedzone Pro computers.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, San Diego, CA

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Cateye solar (old).

Bike Setup:   Road - 99 Lemond Zurich, full Ultegra, Rolf Vector Pro.

Submitted by Ronnie a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, Nevada

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    WIRELESS!!

Weaknesses:    Since moving to las vegas wish it had a altitude measurement

Bottom Line:
Great computer!! The one thing I have noticed is if you put it in your cup holder in car where is it right above the tranny you will get to figure out how fast your tranny is spinning. Otherwise I love it!! I am looking for a couple more for my other bikes.

Purchased At:   Racine cyclary

Similar Products Used:   catseye

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 4000, minor mods

Submitted by TonyP a Cross Country Rider from Québec City

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Wireless, Works well pretty much all the times,

Weaknesses:    Not sure if it's worth it to pay this much for a computer.

Bottom Line:
It works really well.
Only once at the end of a downhill, the recorded max speed was 96 km/h! I was going rather fast but nowhere near this speed... I guess this misreading can be attributable to the wireless stuff being beaten up but I'm not sure.
Overall, I like the product mainly because you don't have to fight to place a ?%$%*& wire around a fork leg.

Favorite Trail:   La Grisante

Purchased At:   Bicicle Record

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Stock SJ FSR XC 2000 except Shimano 545 and Azonic WF riser

Submitted by Paul Bentley a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    What more do you want from a computer? Its totally reliable, the side action button is so easy to 'scroll' throught when on the move (no need to take your hand off the bar), and it looks unique and 'trick'. Nice clear big display.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found ... can't see much point of the light function (though it does look nice in pitch black, if thats the riding you do).

Bottom Line:
GREAT computer!

Favorite Trail:   Midlands UK

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes, Cheltenham

Similar Products Used:   Several - Cateye etc.

Bike Setup:   XCR1000 falling to pieces - thanks to the non-existance of parts availabilty from the useless GT distributers in the UK. DO not but a GT in the UK is my advice.

Submitted by david buhler a Cross Country Rider from palm desert

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Strengths:    It came in a nice can.

Weaknesses:    I should get to review this product twice. My first Specialized wireless computer read out everything accurately, but the speed. So I returned it and my new computer worked great; if I held it less than three inches from the sensor. What trash! I finally returned the second wireless computer and bought a Specialized comp, with a wire, which has proven itself functional.

Bottom Line:
Until 'wireless' computers advance beyond the "hey Buck, whadda ya think, kin we make it wirk" stage," spare yourself the agony.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Team (same color, different problem).

Bike Setup:   Mongoose 10.7, D/A cassette, velomax wheelset, Salsa skewers, Koobi ti saddle.

Submitted by Roy Duhamel a Weekend Warrior from Jefferson City, MO

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    Three readings on screen, wireless (and works with my heart monitor on the bar too), large enough readings to see, analog clock shows all the time - nice

Weaknesses:    Pricey, don't like the side buttons (top is easier to use).

Bottom Line:
I have ridden 4 times with the new bike and computer. Like them both. I especially like the wireless feature of the computer. It is the Team wireless and must be at least the 2000 model. Have ridden chill factor of 21 with no problems with the computer. Value rating is for the price, just a bit high - so far the performance is just what I would exoect and desire, so a 5 there.

Favorite Trail:   Katy Trail (flat - but windy)

Purchased At:   Cycle Extreme, Columbia, MO

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity 2 a great product

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 1000 (has the Cannondale cyclocross frame and specs - ultra shock fork

Submitted by HOE-C a Cross Country Rider from MILAN - ITALY

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2000

Strengths:    Very nice design
A lot of default wheel size which help you to set up
convenient right key position to easily change the function

Weaknesses:    Slow to update the speed

Bottom Line:
Although I read some bad reviews, this computer is working fine. I've used it for 4 month having three big crash with the bike that landed some meter far from me. Nothing happened even though it unhooked from its bracket on the handlebar.

I have the team 2000 model. I like very much its design. The screen can provide you with a lot of information at the same time. Analogic clock is permanently displayed, as well as actual speed. In the bottom line of display you can select whatever you want. I dispaly actual distance. A small (maybe too small for someone) but for me sufficiently visible an arrow shows you if you are up or under the average speed.

Set up this computer is very simple. If your wheel size is included in the factory stored list in the computer just select yours and ride.If not you have to measure the circumference and tipe the lenght.

This computer is very ergonomic. If you fix its bracket close to the right grip you can change all the functions pushing only the right key with your thumb keeping the hand on the handlebar.A green Backlight is also provide pushing the big key at the top of the unit. The all three keys are big enough to be used with gloves as well.

For now nothing to say about weakness exept that when speed change fast (when I break for example)the computer takes too long to update the speed. When I completly stop the bike it displays for few seconds 1 or 2 km/h before to up date the speed to 0.Not a great problem. I compered speed and distance with my friends' computers and it gave me the same results.

Price should be low but if this computer continues to work as it did it will worth the money.
Four chilis are only for the price.

Similar Products Used:   Other non-wireless computer

Bike Setup:   Specialized SJ 2000, easton CT2 Handlebar and MG60 Stem, trimatic seddle

Submitted by Paul Bentley a Cross Country Rider from Midlands, UK

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    Looks pretty interesting for a cycle computer, and I quite like the side button idea. If you set it up within thumb range of your handlebar grips, you can change display without taking your hands off the bars and fumbling for buttons as on normal computers. Works very reliably.

Weaknesses:    Display has an annoying little delay update when you select a new display e.g kmh to Mxs. The LCD area is quite big, but they have chosen a small 'font' - its hard to read the symbols, especially when you are off road and the bikes bouncing around. The computer holder feels a bit 'brittle', so I'm not certain about its durability.

Bottom Line:
I have found it a good unit so far. Looks cool, works well enough. Backlight feature is nice.

Favorite Trail:   'Bredon Hill ..... yawn'

Purchased At:   LeisureLakes, Cheltenham

Similar Products Used:   Cateye - I found this would not talk with the computer mounted on the handlebar (to far trom transmitter!), but the Specialised was fine!

Bike Setup:   XCR 1000, full STR, Crossmaxes

Submitted by Steve R a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Strengths:    Back Light. Wireless

Weaknesses:    The Speed Stops when you turn on the light.

Bottom Line:
I have the new unit. No problems yet. Very accurate. I recomend this product. I also have the mity 3 on another bike. thats good to if you don't mind the wire.

Purchased At:   Frenchies

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Backlit, Wireless, Button placement and feel, Bracket design, Waterproof(!)

Weaknesses:    Need to "wake-up" with button push when 1st starting ride

Bottom Line:
I bought this primarily because it was wireless and my girlfriend's has performed well for over 1 year. The backlit feature is a nice touch. The best thing about this product is the build quality; the case, bracket and buttons are clearly made of better materials then the other units I have owned. The bracket is solid, unlike the pathetic Nashbar model that I lost because it popped in from the front (the Specialized slides in from the back. Much better design, imho) and never clicked in with a positive dentent. The best indication of how well built this unit is came when I accidently washed it in the pocket of my bike shorts. Being a EE, I knew that the slightest leak of soap-laden (read "caustic") water would have rendered it useless, so I was pleasantly suprised when I pushed a button and it snapped to life! Granted I've only had this unit about one month, and I haven't experienced the aforementioned cold sensitivity problem, but so far, kudos to Specialized for an obviously well-engineered product!

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek, VA

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar (wired), Trek

Bike Setup:   '98 Raven

Submitted by Ders from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    wireless

Weaknesses:    the only thing that this computer has going for it is...it's wireless. it is by far the WORST cyclometer that i have ever used. if it works...then you will hate the lack of functionality of the side buttons. the big red button on top is the only functional thing on it...it's the light and how often do you ride in pure darkness? the odometer doesn't work if you don't...turn it on first. C'MON SPECIALIZED!!! make a practical and dependable product PLEASE!!! the quality of ALL SPECIALIZED products has gone down the toilet the past 5 years. i will never buy another one of their products again. i am truly tired of buying expensive equipment, only to have it break and then on top of it all...get horrible customer service from the manufacturer. oh yeah...i forgot to mention the MOST ANNOYING thing about this dumb piece of crap...i have been through 5 batteries in 6 months!!! THAT IS PATHETIC!!!

Bottom Line:
i just felt an obligation to warn off anybody that is thinking of buying this computer. it is expensive and entirely unreliable. don't waste your $ because of the sexy wireless feature.

Similar Products Used:   vetta c15...a $15 computer that is far superior.

Submitted by Curt a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to set up, simple to use

Weaknesses:    LCD all but disappears @95 degrees or hotter!!
Magnet too close to sensor.

Bottom Line:
Specialized Speedzone Team is the real name of the computer. I like the unit a lot. Directions and set up are pretty simple. Function buttons are easy to scroll through while riding. Handles all the trail dirt and dust I can kick up here in the dry Southwest. I like the auto-start/stop feature and the backilght is great.

I lose the LCD at higher temps. (95+) and in full sunlight. My VDO computer on the road bike can be easily seen in full sun, the Specialized is difficult without moving my head around to get the exact angle to see it.

I think the $60 I spent is a bit much, I guess that I think all cyclo-computers shouldn't cost more than $40. After all these aren't much more than wrist watch circuitry. I was convinced by the the local wrenches that the Specialized is more reliable than the Trek Wireless, so spent the extra $15.

All that said and done, it has been reliable so far, riding an average of 3-4x/week.

Favorite Trail:   Los of 'em