Specialized 04 Turbo Pro Computer Computer

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

All the features you would expect in our top-of-the-line Turbo Computer plus a few that may surprise you.

Submitted by FSRguy a Cross Country Rider from CA bay area

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Large display, Altimeter, cumulative altitude gain, everything I could want...

Bottom Line:
This is the best computer ever. It has been going for four years. WHY ARE THEY NO LONGER MADE???? It has performed flawlessly on both my mountain bike and road bike. It has survived numerous crashes (mountain), the finish is worn off of the buttons, it has a small chunk missing from the corner from my last crash, yet it still functions. I bought the 2nd bike kit for use on my road bike. So I just put it on which ever bike I am using. Never a problem with sensors not picking up or any of that garbage. I have had to replace batteries in teh sensor and in the unit itself, but with 4 years of use, what do you expect? Where can I buy another? (in case this one ever gives up) They stopped making the pro model :-(. Love the form factor. The altimiter is very accurate - consistent with people's garmin GPS units.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   frame, wheels, gears, brakes, pedals

Submitted by ray a Racer from toledo Oh

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    this is for the turbo pro.. temp time cadence and inclinometer work frawlessly.. however 2 weeks after my warrantee ran out so did its ability to read the wheel sensor ( the main reason people buy any bike computer) tech support at specialized told me they never heard of this problem.. however ive read on the internet that the wireless elite and pro computers both have this problem.. I guess if they acknowledged it theyed have to recall them all... unless you feel real lucky dont by any specialized bike computer.. oh by the way the other specialized computer (the one with the analog face dies in the heat of the day and in direct sunlight.

Weaknesses:    dies afte 2 years. tech support says it never heard of the problems i have with it.. but ive read elsewhere that the wireless function on the elite and the pro are junk... work intermittently or not at all. I guess if they admitted it they wold have to recall and replace them all

Bottom Line:
I guess the question is DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? WELL DO YOU?

if you can not answer yes to this question avoid any specialized wireless computer.. the analog elite computer dies in the sunlight too... they seem to be all junk

Similar Products Used:   VDO (best) Nashbar advocet cateye (overpriced) and polar (current) but word is emerging that these are junk too (time will tell)

Bike Setup:   I own 5 road bikes set up for different race conditions

Submitted by ray a Racer from toledo

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Strengths:    everything you could want minus a HRM

Weaknesses:    after exactly 2 years and 1 week the computer failed to read the wheel sensor any longer. all other funtions work... sesor works (tested on another computer)

Bottom Line:
this was a nice computer till it quit reading the wheel sensor.. 1 week after the warrantee expired. specialized response.. tough luck.. and no longer available... if they dc'd this model it must have had a lot of problems... too high a price to pay for somthing to last only 105 weeks ( more than a buck a week)

Purchased At:   specialized

Similar Products Used:   several different mid-priced computers (wired and wireless)

Bike Setup:   cannodale caad 5 (full DA) (tri-setup)

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent features, the second wheel function is really awesome I use it all the time changing from my slicks (26x2.0) to my off road (26x2.1) at a press of a button. The speed is very accurate, and the distance can give you a reading to the nearest 10th of a meter. (For the people using metric). Temperature reading is a cool feature you can show off a bit. The inclinometer (the % of the gradient) is hard to understand at first but once you work it out any thing over 10% is steep! Can forget the back light either awesome for night rides. Automatic timing and actual timing is good really depends how you use it, I don’t really use the actual time. There are other timing features like lap time and interval timing are good but I would use them in training. You can set the interval time to remind you to change hand position so you don’t go numb finally the cadence gives you an average cad per min I find it useful on the road rather than the hills but still a good feature. Finally the BIG screen it excellent good size speed read and the dot matrix under the Speedo looks very neat and easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Some times there are too many function it would be good if you could some how customize it so you don’t have to search through 10 options before you get to the right one. More buttons for quick links would be nice. I don’t think the back light isn’t bright enough. Going from late afternoon when it’s between dusk and dark when the computer is getting hard to read due to lack of light, the back light just isn’t bright enough to show the display, but once it goes dark obviously the light works fine, I think the light could be turned on so that its on all the time would be wicked saves taking your hands of the bars.
Final one the inclinometer is tricky and it isn’t the most responsive function.

Bottom Line:
To clear a bit of doubt about this product the model it’s self was recalled because the faulty altitude meter they were then brought out again fixed (according to information I was given)
I’ve had mine for a year now and never really had any problems with it. The wireless function is awesome but the sensor that is on the fork has to be quite high so the computer can pick it up. Some other feedback I’ve read has had problems with the cadence cable but I’ve never had to replace mine you just have to be gentle plugging it in at the back. I accidentally cut my cable the other day while I was cutting through a cable tie readjusting it but I connected it back together and still works.
The bottom line is that it really is the best computer for mtb. You don’t what a pricy computer because you will scratch and knock it around a bit, I don’t think there really it a computer out there with this many function with a backlight that doesn’t cost the earth.

Purchased At:   TBE

Similar Products Used:   cheap cateye

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS2 with XTR gears and shifters, Rock shock limited edition Athens 2004 SID World Cup fork and with the Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, and of course information given to me by the Specialized turbo pro

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Garfield, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    Large display.

Weaknesses:    Never worked. Poor installation instructions and the booklet is about the size of a match box. Receiver has an ugly 80's casio watch design.

Bottom Line:
The product was defective out of the box as the wireless transmitter failed to communicate data to the receiver. The instructions were poor and undetailed so that I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong. Brought it to an authorized Specialized bike shop and they weren't able to get it working either. Sent it in for warranty repair and since they were out of stock they refunded my money, less the shipping costs, since they were apparently out of stock. However, they did all this without informing me and I found out only when over a month later I made an inquiry.

Favorite Trail:   Allaire State Park

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa HD

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to read; intuitive

Weaknesses:    The inclinometer basically did not work uphill. It would cycle between 0% and random figures. I tried two replacement units. Same result. Ended up returning for refund. They tried to tell me this is as good as it gets, but I knew better from my old Ciclosport (bought a new one of those and am loving it).

Bottom Line:
Basically worthless, if you want an inclinometer. A very disappointing product. It just don't work!

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   Ciclosport CM434

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic Dura-Ace

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Strengths:    Very accurate. I bought this unit to replace a very accurate Specialized cyclometer since it had no altimeter function. I've found all functions to be identically accurate with the added bonus of the altimeter functions, which seem correct once I set the altimeter at sea level. Since I ride my favorite rides often I've found it to be very consistent from ride to ride. Mountain biking is all about altitude gain so the altimeter feature is extremely helpful.
Best thing about this product is extreme simplicity. No PhD in electronics is required to setup this unit, as was the case with the more expensive CicloSport unit I tried then sent back.

Weaknesses:    The percent of grade feature seems a little inconsistent but, at least to me, that's an incidental feature.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I'm buying my wife an identical unit and my most frequent riding buddy is buying one, as well, based on my unit's great performance thus far. If we find all 3 units reasonably consistent when riding together this will confirm the Specialized 04 Turbo Pro Computer as a terrific unit to buy. The price is right and ease of use is simple. Some of the more expensive units "may" (or may not) be better but, for the price, this seems to be an excellent computer. The only "feature" I don't like about it is the fact it reveals my favorite rides do not include as much climbing as I'd guessed previously as in "gee, I would have sworn that ride to be at least 2500' of climbing - but it's only 950'.... This computer can shatter delusions of grandeur... :)))

Purchased At:   80

Similar Products Used:   CicloSport 434 (returned it - unnecessarily complicated - vague, deadend setup instructions)

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air - XTR

Submitted by Cory Swanson a Cross Country Rider from Logan, Ut, U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Strengths:    The features and the looks

Bottom Line:
I have used this for 1 month now and have no complaints. It's easy to use and I love the Altimeter and Temp. It has all the features you need... clock, speed, trip, odo, average speed........ I don't use the Cadence and Interval Timer, but having this much info at your fingertips is awesome.

Purchased At:   Al's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Every other specialized clock

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Pro 120

Submitted by Rene Hoepelman a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2005

Strengths:    Very cool looking / Wireless / altimeter / Inclinometer / temp / 5 Second Back light plus all the other standard features

Weaknesses:    Maby the price. Hell, You spent well over 2 grand on a bike why not top it off with an altimeter. To use cadence you have to use the wire. I really have no use for cadence. I think thats a road bike thingy feature.

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best or as close to the best cycling computer as you can buy. Having a built in altimeter is a great feature. Shows current altitude and total amount of climb. Measures % gradient. Great for training or just great info. My GPS unit does not have altimeter and this really fills that void. Appears to be very accurate.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim in Trabuco Canyon