Specialized 03 Speed Zone Elite Classic Computer Computer

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

The Elite Classic has all of the funtions of the Comp Classic computer (Current/Max/Avg. Speed, Odo., Trip Dist., Interval Timer and more..) but in a wireless format. It also adds a wired cadence feature.

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Wireless, easy to read, easy setup.

Weaknesses:    Some inaccuracy.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent basic unit. It is tough, easy to read, easy to cycle through the readout while riding, and fairly accurate. I noticed it gave me different distances for the same ride, but when I calculated the overall variation it turned out to be about one to two percent, which seems reasonable. I've crashed a few times and once tore the transmitter off the fork and lost it, but the computer has held up to rain, heat, and being dropped a few times. Anecdotal evidence from friends with Vettas and Cateyes make me think the Specialized is more reliable and tougher. Those who want altitude or more sophisticated measurements should look elsewhere. I have been impressed enough that when I get ready to go for an HRM I'll try the Specialized P. Brain 04.

Favorite Trail:   el corte

Purchased At:   Specialized.com

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB etc.

Submitted by Ron Overend a Cross Country Rider from Loonie, Al

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    wireless, easy set-up, cadence, shape, back light.

Weaknesses:    heavy duty cadence cable. picky sensors,.... too new to comment otherwise.

Bottom Line:
This computer is pretty nice- i got the clearless, opaque one. it has see-through plastic shell. I chose this shell colour because Specialized stopped production of the blue= seethrough shell. The functions are pretty nice, but the odo can be adjusted, and so it would be difficult to trust the overall odo because it would depend on the trustworthyness of the rider. Otherwise, the computer was very easy to set up, but the canle to the cadence kit was awkward. The cable is very thick and is very long. I needed to wrap it around the sloping downtube several times to use the excess length. One other issue is that the computer does not actually fully=shut down. Instead, after a while, the computer's time display takes over and the computer displays the time. I hope this does not tax heavily on the battery power because these watch batteries are kinda expensive (compared to standard AA batteries.)
Anyway- It seems to be a great computer so far.

Favorite Trail:   endless bliss, Or

Similar Products Used:   Vetta c500 (that was stolen)

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche LE, XT........ overweight marzocchi Z1 fork.....

Submitted by Ricci a Cross Country Rider from Rochester,ny

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    wireless!, solid... backlight.. cadence...

Weaknesses:    wired cadence (obviously).

Bottom Line:
Don't listen to that guy at the bottom.. it doesn't work in cold because the directions say don't put it further than 2 feet away from the receiver. If it get's colder.. just move the sensor further up your fork!! and it'll work fine. rock n ride!

one time it froze up on me.. weird. i think i wrecked pretty hard, so i popped the battery out and put it back in and all was fine! you can edit the odometer too so you don't lose miles, or to impress your friends by riding 1,000 miles in a weekend!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   STP 200

Submitted by ash absalom a Cross Country Rider from oakland, california, us

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to use and affordable. (though I got it as a gift.)

Weaknesses:    putting in the candence is pretty complicated.

Bottom Line:
To be honest I have only had this product for a few days. So far I am pretty impressed. I made the mistake od putting the sensoro closer to the rim. It scared me because I thougt the computer did not work. I moved the sesor down more towards the hub and it seems to work fine. once I ride a little more w this computer I will keep you updated.

Favorite Trail:   east ridge west ridge loop

Purchased At:   wheals of justice

Bike Setup:   treck 6000 w more upgrades then hugh hephner goes through friends.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Snohomish, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    It works!!!! It's easy to use!

Bottom Line:
This thing worked the very first time I set it up with absolutely no adjustments necessary. Since then it has never failed once and I have not even needed to change the batteries. No apparent interference problems with the transmitter and I am really pleased with the performance.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Vetta

Bike Setup:   Original Trek 5200 upgraded to 9 speed Ultegra

Submitted by alex a Cross Country Rider from salinas, ca

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to read numbers, multiple functions and color selection

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work in cold weather.

Bottom Line:
I received this new wireless model as a Christmas gift and immediately put it to use and gave my old one away. The first time I rode, it did not work. Nor did the second time or third. I thought it was operator error. However later on in the day it seemed to work fine. To make a long story short, the computer seems to only work when the temperature is above 48 degrees or so. If its colder than that it doesn't work!! had I known that I would have returned it as soon as I received it. My lbs has changed out the sensor and it still has problems. Bottom line, if you ride in cold weather buy a wire model not a wireless. I'll update reviews next month if I get it to work.

Favorite Trail:   any