Specialized 01 Speedzone Pro Computer

4.05/5 (20 Reviews)

All of the same functions of the Elite with the added benefits of an altimiter, thermometer and inclonometer.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Great price for altimeter. Fantastic to have all that information at your finger tips. Having an inclinometer on long rides can be really interesting.

Inclinometer can be better than a mood ring! Knowing how steep the hill is can explain how you're feeling... sometimes it can be depressing though - after miles of climbing - and the road ahead LOOKS uphill - thanks to the headwind, it FEELS uphill, but the inclinometer tells you that it's 3% down... ;) nice to know!

Weaknesses:    Occasionally resets self - maybe from battery losing contact during vibration.

Loses trip data after 10 hours of ride time - very frustrating.

Occasional noise problems - cell phone or computer make you go REAL fast. ( I think it's not a coded wireless )

Delay in viewing cadence. The computer does not track the current cadence when you are viewing some other screen - so can take several seconds to give an accurate reading when switched to.

Pops out of bracket - and lands in terrible places. One pop out killed spring in a button. Another killed the whole computer.

Bottom Line:
Was a great piece of kit to have - before it died.

Used it on trans Canada ride in 2001 - everyone wanted to know the daily altitude gains...

Biggest problem was the way it popped out of the bracket sometimes - that's how it died... it had survived me riding over it a few times (which normally resulted in a reset ;) ) Saddly, in early 2004 it popped out on the ramp into a car park and the poor little thing slid under a truck. LCD gone - the love affair over.

i think i'll try and buy the 04 model. it was that good to have. biggest problem will be trying to find a shop (in Australia) that sells them.

Favorite Trail:   Hornsby - Mt White

Purchased At:   D'Ornellas - Toronto, Canada

Similar Products Used:   Never used product with this feature set.

Bike Setup:   2001 Devinci Carabou (Touring)

Submitted by Robert Verduin from Ashland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Altimeter
Inclinometer
Thermometer
Wireless
Lots of information

Weaknesses:    Cadence not wireless
Hard to read
Too much scrolling
No cumulative altitude gain
Resets after 10 hours
Lots of information

Bottom Line:
I previously had an Avocet 50, which I believe was the first computer to offer an altitude function, which I loved. So when the Avocet gave up the ghost, I wanted to replace it with a computer with altimeter. These comments are in comparison to my experience with the Avocet:
On the plus side, I loved the fact that the Specialized is wireless. It sets up easily, works well, and seems sturdy and reliable. The cadence is not wireless, a downer for cadence users, but since I don't race I don't really care about the cadence. The inclinometer is a cool feature, although it is slow to display grade changes. I also like that it has a thermometer, but I am not sure of its accuracy (it registered up to 108 degrees on my ride yesterday, although I am pretty sure it never really went above 103!)
Now for the down side:
If possible, there may be TOO much information (at least for me). You have to do WAY too much scrolling to find the info you are looking for, and you never seem to be in the right mode at the right time. It would be nice if the modes you aren't using (for me, cadence and interval timer) could be hidden so you didn't have to scroll through them as well. The Avocet's info was arranged better...albeit with less info to display. Also, compared to the Avocet, the Specialized's numbers and letters are smaller and harder to read at a glance. The average speed pace arrow is tiny and tucked up in the corner where it is VERY hard for me to see. Finally, it is missing one key function that I liked on the Avocet: cumulative altitude gain. After dragging my old tired bod up all the hills in these parts, I would love to know how many total feet I've climbed over time. Not having this feature is like having trip mileage but no odometer!
To sum up, the Specialized Speedzone Pro is a solid wireless computer with all the functions I need and then some(with the one exception mentioned above). With a little more creative thinking it could have been even better!

Purchased At:   Sims Cycle, Medford, Oregon

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 50

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SR800, Shimano 105 triple drivetrain

Submitted by Jeff Bisberg a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Altimeter, Alt Gain, GR%

Weaknesses:    Reset/lost memory totally by itself 3 times on me. Major pain. Also hung up on the Alt Gain during one ride so I missed the total elevation. Has a weak mounting system that allows the unit to pop off too easy. Need wire for cadance.

Bottom Line:
Only like it cause I do lots of elevation here in Boulder and I can track my elevation gain. The weak mounting and constant self resetting make it worthless for total mileage tracking. Wouldn't recommend buying it unless you absolutely need altimeter. Maybe it wasn't designed for Mountain Biking, although I expect that roadies would have similar trouble.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Purchased At:   Website

Similar Products Used:   CatEye

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by John Howe from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Seems to be very accurate. Altitude can have some intense swings with changing weather, but overall, it is a very impressive information provider. I did not hook up the cadence sensor. I found it very helpful that they provided two separate computer bases (one for use with cadence and on without). I was skeptical about the accuracy of a wireless device compared to a wired computer. After about 20 identical rides, the distance, average speed and everything else compares almost exactly to the information from my older, wired model. For about $100, this thing is worth every penny. Even the grade % function seems to be very accurate. I have compared the grade function numbers and the altitude numbers to some topographic maps I have. It is right on, to the foot.

Weaknesses:    The display could use another line for information. This little thing is just packed with information for the rider. It can be a but of work to bring up the information you want, especially when your moving a good pace with traffic all around you. The owners manual stinks. It is just too small. I did go online and download a full size version. That is much easier to read. The only other weakness I see is that to reset for another ride, you have to reset the first two modes, instead of a simple total reset. This is not a big deal, just a little inconvenience.

Bottom Line:
Buy it! It's a bundle of information for the active rider. I am an admitted Specialized fan, but compared to the other brands I looked at, this one seems to come through and deliver all that they say it will, with accuracy, at a very fair price.

Favorite Trail:   Trail Ridge Road

Purchased At:   Specialized Website

Similar Products Used:   Older Specialized computer, much much older.

Bike Setup:   Installation is simple. It is easy to program and setup. The wireless feature is awesome. No more wires to catch on trees, tools, etc.

Submitted by Luke a Racer from Singleton,NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    easy set up. All the info any cyclist could use regularly, cheaper than a polar 720hr monitor, reasonably accurate.

Weaknesses:    not enough lines of info displayed, takes a bit to long to navigate through to get desired info. buttons a bit awkward at times. If cadence is put on backwards it will double your actual cadence, at one stage I had an ave cad of 179rpm with a Max Cad of 247rpm.

Bottom Line:
I paid AU$ 270.00 just shy of 1 month ago and have been completely impressed. As far as I am aware I have the only one in Australia as it was ordered in especially and no price was available until it arrived. The store who sponsors me is impressed with the computer and tell everyone about it. My mates who I race with (team and opposition) have all commented on the computer and ask about it. Overall a top piece of kit for the cyclist who keeps a comprehensive record of all training sessions and races.

Favorite Trail:   any roads

Purchased At:   Sponsoring bike shop

Similar Products Used:   my old specialized comp 2001

Bike Setup:   Specialized (Festina team model) with full Ultegra and Ksyrium SSC SL and Michelin Pro Lights as roling stock

Submitted by Ray Hosler a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clara

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    Functions, price, packaging, performance, accessories

Weaknesses:    Inability to limit display selection, manual

Bottom Line:
I've been searching high and low for a cyclometer that provides all of the functions of the Specialized SpeedZone Pro -- most notably altimeter, cumulative altimeter, and inclinometer. I used it on a weekend ride with 5770 feet of climbing and the accuracy of the altimeter and cyclometer reassured me that I had purchased a great cyclometer. The altitude compared foot for foot to my topo maps and the inclinometer measured grades that matched up with what I suspected or knew about. Temperature measured perfectly with the day's weather -- 66 degrees for the high. It dropped to 46 degrees in Big Basin State Park. Set-up is a breeze. People who get inaccurate measurements may want to be sure they calibrated their wheels. Do the rollout for best results! Altitude changes with the weather, but that's life. Recalibration is easy. Use TopoZone to find your exact altitude. Setup was straightforward, although you can have a gap of less than 20 inches between unit and pickup.

Only a few nits -- need to allow selective display of functions; manual's text too small; buttons awkwardly located on side; auto 10-hour reset of cumulative ride distances; function text on display too small.

For the price, there's isn't anything else that comes close.

Favorite Trail:   Almaden Quicksilver

Purchased At:   Cupertino Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 35

Bike Setup:   Road bike with 36 spoke wheels

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Altadena, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    This is an excellent bike computer. It has all of the functions that you could ask for, and then some. I love the wireless mounting. After using wired computers for years, the wireless is easy to mount, looks clean, and I have never had a problem with the 3 Specialized wireless units I've owned. I was happy to discover that the Speedzone Pro model worked on my existing Speedzone Team mounts that I have on other bikes. I love the temperature function and the altitude functions, but don't have much use for the cadence (so I didn't use the cadence mount) or the interval timer functions, but those are personal preferences that some people will like.

Weaknesses:    My only knock on this computer is that it has 12 functions, but only 2 lines of readout with one being fixed as current speed so you have to scroll through 11 functons to get to the one you want. There really should be another readout or even better, two more readouts where one or both could be set to your preferred functions. If not more readouts, then another option would be to make the computer such that the user could program out the functions the didn't want to use.
For instance if I could set up my computer to eliminate the cadence and interval timer functions, then I would have 9 functions to scroll through instead of 11 (which is still probably too many).

Bottom Line:
This is a great computer overall especially if you like wireless. I love the fact that it reads out distance to the nearest 1/100th of a mile instead of 1/10ths, and it has all of the functions you could possibly want. The altimeter is a great added feature with the ablility to chart your altitude gain on different rides. The wireless works flawlessly for me. The only reason this computer didn't get 5 chilis overall is that it just has too many functions for just two lines of readout. Add another line or two of readout and you have the perfect bike computer.

Favorite Trail:   LaTuna

Purchased At:   Specialized Online store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Team wireless

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar with Judy and full XTR.

Submitted by Bart a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Looked nice. Good ideas. Legible screen. Easy to program.

Weaknesses:    Should have come with a wire because the wireless in this unit does not work at all.

Bottom Line:
I had an older Specialized wireless computer for 2 years that was perfect. It worked perfectly on my bike and I would have kept it forever had I not lost it in a wreck riding in Hawaii. When it came time to replace it I wanted another Specialized unit since the first one worked so well. I bought this one because it looked sharp, was easy to read and just fit what I wanted. Well I took it home and spent several hours trying to get it to work. The unit would work fine when I held the head near the sensor but when I moved it away quickly the connection was lost and no output was registered. I slid the sensor and magnet up and down each side of the fork and tried it as high as it could possibly be mounted. Nothing I did would get that head piece to read information once it was mounted on my handlebar. I even went and bought brand new Energizer batteries for both components to no avail. So I finally took my whole bike to the shop and people there tried up and down to get it to work. Nothing. They took a completely different unit out of the box and installed it, this one didn't work either. It's just a bad computer, period. So I got my money back and purchased an off brand, wired computer that works fine but is nothing special. I'm very disappointed in my experience with this computer. Save your receipt, that's all I have to say. I give the value 3 peppers because if it worked this would be a fine unit and maybe it will work for you.

Similar Products Used:   An older Specialized wireless computer that worked great.

Bike Setup:   Regular old freeride bike. Cannondale frame.

Submitted by John Green a Racer from Crowley, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    Solid, right-on data. Alt. does need "daily" adjustments, but nothing I use much. Easy to use on the road, no nonsense approach to getting the data you want. I pretty much keep mine set with speed and cadence, but occasionaly rotate through the rest of the data for quick checks. Solid mount, pickups / sensors work with no issues. Use it with my Polar heart monitor and have no interference issues at all.

Weaknesses:    Only displays two pieces of data at a time, sometimes I would like to have speed, cadence, and distance on the same screen, but not really a weakness. Wish it had average cadence.

Bottom Line:
Best buy for the features / price. Could not find anything that compares, would recommend to all.

Favorite Trail:   White Rock Lake

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Trek 2200, Ultegra, Bontrager wheels

Submitted by Randon a Cross Country Rider from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    Altimeter (even though it requires daily calibration), Inclinometer and temperature indicator.

The unit is great on the trail, simple to read and easy to cycle through the features.

Weaknesses:    I have had this unit for 1 week, been on 4 rides and after each ride all my data becomes distorted before I get home. Either my truck is putting out some big time interferance or the unit is just way to sensitive. (riding partners' other brand wireless units have no problem)

None the less, I end up with about 20 extra miles on the odometer, a max speed of 85 mph (wow), an average of around 50 mph and several extra hours of ride time.

I have performed a full reset after each ride, hoping it was just a fluke and it wouldn't happen again. But each time I get the same bizzare results.

Its back in the box and will be mailed back to Specialized. (bummer)

I actually liked the unit so much I am tempted to try another one. I will see what Specialized says about this one first and then reconsider.

Bottom Line:
If it weren't for the interferance (see Product Weaknesses)It would be the perfect computer for its price and class.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Race Loops

Purchased At:   Specialized Web Site

Similar Products Used:   no wireless units

Bike Setup:   02 Specialized Stumperjumper FSRXC Pro - stock

Submitted by Drew Pasternak a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    load of functions, accuracy and easy of use

Weaknesses:    Wish they'd use the cat-eye style mounts

Bottom Line:
Being a bike geek, I love being able to look at data when I ride and this computer gives me that. The altimeter has been fairly accurate and the inclinometer rocks. The specialized is fairly robust and hasn't had any malfunctions even on some epic rides. Compared to the Vetta 100 I have on my road bike, this is MUCH better and I'm planning on getting a second mounting kit for the road bike so I can switch back and forth

Favorite Trail:   Flume trail

Purchased At:   Local Bike store

Similar Products Used:   Vetta 100, Cateye cordless

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by RJ a Racer from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    good display, easy to use/set up. I like the inclinometer and elevation gained settings. It also has a cadence as well as the standard displays

Weaknesses:    Ive found that the little button on the back that resets everything is easily activated, which is inconvienent.

Bottom Line:
Ive wrecked PLENTY of times and my cyclometer has taken a real beating, I mean a REAL beating, and it continues to work perfectly. I really like the wireless sensor, but it does pick up my heart rate monitor sometimes (only when the bike is not moving). This is a useful tool for training/ performance enhancement. Anyone except trail debry (you know the kind) would benefit from this handy little gizmo.

Favorite Trail:   trial? i dont need no stinking trail

Similar Products Used:   Some Sigma sport unit

Bike Setup:   wheels, brakes, handle bar...you know, the usual stuff

Submitted by Gary Herman a Weekend Warrior from Los Altos, CA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Effective wireless; robust, legible display; accurate altimeter and cumulative climb; neat inclinometer feature; reliable

Weaknesses:    Auto-resets after ten hours time in motion

Bottom Line:
I prefer long rides in the mountains, and altitude, cumulative climb, and grade are really useful measurements. In particular, grade combined with heart rate provides very useful feedback on my current physiological state. The Speedzone Pro has been totally reliable; the wireless link is reliable; the altimeter and cumulative gain functions seem accurate; the display is legible and doesn't darken in extreme heat (like the Radar did). It has one quirk, though. I did two double centuries this year, and in both of them the Pro mysteriously reset itself toward the end of the ride. The Specialized customer support folks tell me that the Pro is actually storing data while you're in motion. After ten hours, it runs out of memory and resets the cumulative functions (distance, total climb, etc.) to zero! Bummer!
I've now ordered the Ciclosport CM 414 from Performance. Costs more and has a few more features, but stores 50 hours of data and will download to a PC!.\

5 Chilis for value, but 4 overall, because I care about that quirk.

Purchased At:   Specialized on line store

Similar Products Used:   Trek Radar, Cateye, FlightDeck, Avocet Vertech watch

Bike Setup:   Seven Odonata with Campy Chorus triple and Dave's SpeedDream wheels

Submitted by Dave from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    I particularly like the altimeter with cumulative gain (but see below), and the inclinometer, and there are the usual assortment of additional functions almost too numerous to mention. Choice of wired computer mount for cadence mode, or wireless mount if cadence mode isn't used.

Weaknesses:    Wired instead of wireless cadence, lack of heart rate monitor, automatic reset of computer after 10 hours means losing cumulative data, buttons a bit awkward to use, and it takes a long time to cycle one way through all the functions

Bottom Line:
For me, this is an outstanding cyclocomputer. Yes, it has a some shortcomings - see above and reviews, below - but it has a terrific set of features, including an accurate altimeter (as accurate as my Garmin GPS Summit GPS), and an inclinometer.

When I purchased the Speedzone, I dialed in the altitude (based on barometric pressure pulled off the Web that I'd plugged into my GPS). A few hours later, I was a bit miffed to see that the altitude reading had changed by about 25 feet. I was completely molified when I saw the exact same change on my GPS.

I don't race, so I don't bother to use the cadence mode. And I don't need a heart monitor for the same reason. In fact, I've ridden enough years to compute cadence and heart rate in my head. But I do like to know how high I've climbed, and the degree of the slope I'm sweating up, which, like knowing cadence and heart rate, provide feedback about fitness levels. (I've still got to ride over to Fargo Street, reputedly L.A.'s steepest, with a 33% grade - we'll see.)

It looks as if the 2002 model will include at least a few changes, including wireless cadence, and a change to the new "tachometer" form. If it included a heart rate monitor, that and the wireless cadence would push me into a new purchase, but for now, this is one cool computer.

All the chilis, and pour on the hot sauce!

Purchased At:   Specialized on-line store

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Avocet, etc., and I've been around long enough to have used mechanical odometers.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper 01

Submitted by Jana Lingo from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    Too many function to even think about , easy set up, backlit

Weaknesses:    I would have had to shim the cadence mount to get it to work

Bottom Line:
Has every thing you could think of from a bike computer, with the possibilty of Heart Rate stuff. Compared to a topographic map, it seems pretty accurate. The distance functions also check out, too.The Current altitude is useless, but it's the same with other altitude computers as well. The cadence mount would have needed to be shimmed to work on my road bike, so I left it off. Well worth the $99.00 price tag.

Purchased At:   Specialized