Sigma Sport Sport BC 500 Computer

4.21/5 (14 Reviews)

Sigma Sport BC 500

Submitted by Marcus a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very good once it went throught the wash in my pants after i had been riding and it went throught the wash. So it can definately withstand water. i eneded up figured out were i left it and toke it out.

Weaknesses:    Maybe wires could be thicker and a bit shorter (maybe)

Bottom Line:
The best cheap bike computer for money

Purchased At:   Alpha Cycles price (aus)$50.00

Submitted by Sean Murray a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, strong, looks good, easy to read, has taken the brunt of a few crashes and still working.

Weaknesses:    Instruction manual, example, not enough detail as to where the magnet is exactly supposed to go on the spoke of your front rim...Took forever to setup.

Bottom Line:
This is a good product with added no frills, I am very happy with this little cyclo-puter, does the job. Nuff said. You won't be sorry. Happy trails.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Pedals and two wheels.

Submitted by David F. a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to use, and keeps a total tally.

Weaknesses:    None, really.

Bottom Line:
When first I considered getting this biking computer, I was daunted by some of the reviews that I had heard. It has now been roughly a year since I got this, and it has been an encouragement to me. I especially like the way that I can always look to see the number of total miles that I have travelled. I know that other biking computers can do this as well, but compared to the price of these other ones the price of this one is quite outstanding. I would strongly recomend this computer to any who are looking for a good long lasting biking computer at a low price.

Favorite Trail:   McAlpine Creek Trail

Purchased At:   Schwinn Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Regular mountain Bike.

Submitted by Willem a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to read display, nice big buttons

Weaknesses:    kind of hard to install, could use a better/stronger wire

Bottom Line:
I bought this comp in Holland about 4 years ago and I forget how much I paid for it but I'm really pleased with it's performance. The display is real easy to read and it's easy to program. The instalation is a little difficult with all those rubber bands but once it's on it'll never come off!! I've had some trouble with the wires falling out right where they attach to the computer mount. But I managed to fix that myself with a little patience and a soldering iron! Overall a good computer with all the functions that i nead but could use stronger wires...

Favorite Trail:   Happy trail

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper, stock

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Phila, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    This Cyclometer has worked flawlessly through thunderstorms and big crashes. None of the functions have ever stopped working and the display is very easy to use with two big buttons around the top and bottom you don't need to fumple for those little circles.

Bottom Line:
This is a great working computer that can take tough conditions but is still simple to operate with big buttons and a big display. A great value in a cyclometer.

Bike Setup:   Fairly simple, case around handlebar, fush receiver on spokes and ready to go.

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Kivik, Skane, Sweden

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Very good quality and waterproof. Good computer for the money.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the cord. I feel that it's in the way.
But i have seen that Sigma Sport has a cordless cradle for it.

Bottom Line:
German quality(which is good) and alot of computer for the money. I used this computer in a blizzard here in Sweden and there was no problem.

Bike Setup:   Cycle Pro Ambush,

Submitted by MTBendo a Cross-Country Rider from Marietta Ga

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1999

Strengths:
Very good computer that works very well no matter what I like everything about it

Weaknesses:
Easy to Steal and the computer on the spokes get's knocked of easily

Bottom Line:
Very good computer get it it works i love it

GAMIT

6 months

Fuji Gaunlet, Atom Bombs, Kore, Wellgo, Shimano XT,Michelin, Nuke Proof,WTB,ESP, Race Face, Cane Creek

Submitted by Pastry a Cross-Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1999

Strengths:
Works well and I have not had problems with the computer. Weather Proof!!! I've ridden many times in pouring rain, snow storms, and in 5 degree temps. The computer has held up! Stays mounted on handlebar.

Weaknesses:
wire could be thicker. Doesn't have all the features of higher-prices computers such as average speed and max speed and cadence.

Bottom Line:
Great, reliable, and easy to use. I got mine for $8 at a closeout price. It's all I needed in a computer.

all trails

2 Years

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: March 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
this is a great computer for the money. i've had it for 1 year, and i've racked up the miles. i've never had any problems with water, although i don't ride in driving rain. its very accurate, and it has all the features an average biker will need. thats why i give it 4 chilis

1 Year

Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Andrew a cross-country rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've got a BC500,I thought it was great it was very accurate although one day I went riding in the rain and the next thing I knew I lost most of my functions. The box says water resistant but it's a lie.

Submitted by brook a racer from adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Don't let the title bicycle computer put you off. after hearing of these little gems, and seeing a motorcycle installation, I installed one on my twincam corolla. after a little fiddling, and with the help of a friends GPS unit, i've got the accuracy down to 0.002%! better than some professional rally cars!
minus 18 metres out over 100km. i can live with that. it soon showed me how out car speedometers can be, especially at weekend levels. i do not condone speeding, but a product this accurate is a must in an ever vigilant world.
well done sigma sport. please email for any help on car installs.

Submitted by Bebe a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have Sigma 600. This is my second one after I returned it due to water getting in the computer. They claim it is water resistant but I have yet to believe it. The second one I have has water inside the diplay after a rainy ride today. It's kinda of neat having a miniature aquarium on my handlebars, not. I don't recommend this if you ride in wet conditions. It is fairly accurate though.

Submitted by Dave H. a cross-country rider from Pittsbutgh, PA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I really like the BC 500. I know I don't need any more functions, and it is still working after a year of use (which doesn't sound like a lot, but I have seen a good number of other computers by other companies that decide their lifespan ends within a year's time).
It must be pretty good at water repellency, I've watched the whole bike float downstream without me a couple of times.I would definatley buy a Sigma again, and it would probably be the BC 500.An interesting note: I witnessed a guy fabricating a special little metal mount for the sensor to put the computer on his 1998 Honda SuperHawk. He said he heard about Sigma's accuracy and needed a speedo that would read correctly after he messed with his sprockets. It actually worked (he did a 140 MPH run on the highway) though I am not sure the wheel diameter difference didn't throw off the computer's calculations.

Submitted by Walker a weekend warrior from Southern Indiana

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

After reading the fairly poor reviews of cyclecomputers and noting my favorite wasn't included, I felt
compelled to write this. The BC500 is a wonderful basic cyclecomputer which I highly reccomend.
It displays speed/distance, elapsed time, cumulative distance and a 24 hr. clock. After four months
of use, I have had no problems. The instructions were a bit strange though and found
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer_calibration.html clarified the process.