Sigma Sport Sport BC 1100 Computer

3.4/5 (40 Reviews)

Sigma Sport BC 1100

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from Jersey, CI

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    reliable as anything

Weaknesses:    bit simple

Bottom Line:
I used this BC900 on an old bike years ago in 1998, and then lost it, but put the old wires on my new bike. Just today in July 2006, I had a look for it cos a mate noticed I didn't have a computer and I found it again. Cleaned the contacts, put new batteries in it. the wires looked really dodgy on the bike but the bloody thing worked first time. brilliant. I'll be using it in a race tomorrow. A bike comp as reliable as a 1960's washing machine!

I even set the 24 hour clock.

Purchased At:   40

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000zx hard tail.

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
Hi! I've lost my Instruction book of how to set the BC 1100 up.Can some one please help

Merry Xmas

Ray

Submitted by shabbir hussain a Weekend Warrior from toronto, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    all good features

Weaknesses:    no power on/off switch and no light for early morning and night riding display. Bigger display would be nice.

Bottom Line:
have been using this bc 1100 for three years no complaints, good value..would like to see a switch and light on future models.

Purchased At:   re-my sport

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    Everything not listed in weaknesses

Weaknesses:    doesn't shut off, initial setup of the sensor is difficult on a mountain bike's fork

Bottom Line:
Ever notice how there are a ton of people who will say something is great and then there's the few that you just can't seem to please? These reviews seem to reflect that. I've had this computer for over 3 years now (it's actually a BC800 but the way Sigma changed the product line around mine is now equal to the BC1100 that my friend has) and I've never had a problem. I've ridden through downpours and waterproofing has never been a problem, niether has battery life as the thing is still ticking. Someone on here said there is no 12 hour clock and they obviously have no idea how to read an instruction manual because there is a regular 12 hour style clock on it. For the money I think this is a great computer and if you get it and are dissapointed then you either don't know how to properly set it up or are used to much more expensive equipment in which case spending 40 or 50 dollars on this won't make you go bankrupt!

Purchased At:   Dapper Bicycle

Submitted by MArtin Hojgaard a Racer from Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    Simple, dead reliable, easy installation, plenty of functions, cheap, easy-to-read display

Weaknesses:    cadence sensor attachment to the base unit sucks.

Bottom Line:
The Sigma is a little Kraftwerk and keeps ticking like a Duracell bunny. I've had this thing on my bikes for 5 years now and it has never failed me. It's done more than 60000 km's in all sorts of weather on the road and never complained.
The Sigma just works - and that's it. The rubberband attachment works fine with road bikes, the sensor never came off and I've never snapped a rubber band.
You get plenty of functions at a very low price and this model (which has been replaced by newer versions) is highly recommendable. I've heard it's quite popular among motor cyclist as well.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta VHR-50, Sigma BC1600, Polar X-trainer

Bike Setup:   Various road- and MTB's

Submitted by T Schramm a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap,relatively easy to program, holds up well to MTB riding.

Weaknesses:    Would like to see speed to the tenth, not just a +/- read out

Bottom Line:
Good computer for the money. It seems to be fairly accurate. I have taken it out on the trail for over 2 years, had plenty of spills, and it still works just fine for me. It would have gotten 5 flamers if it displayed speed to the 1/10 mph.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Avocet, etc

Bike Setup:   Trek Y3 with Time pedals.

Submitted by abm a Racer from houston

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    wireless, has many different functions

Weaknesses:    BATTERIES NEED REPLACING ALL THE TIME

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE DISSAPPOINTED

Favorite Trail:   ho chi mhin

Purchased At:   CYCLE SPECTRUM

Submitted by MICHAEL EADDY a Racer from Brooklyn, New York

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    independent resets, can reset everything and keep my Max Speed

Weaknesses:    Rubber band snapped after one fall, occasionally stops reading, need an online manual

Bottom Line:
I've had my Sigma Sport for well over 5 years, in fact i bought it when it first hit the cycle shops and i don't remember how long ago it was but 6 or more years should cover it. I have over 7000 miles on it and its never failed me in rain, sleet, or snow. Those of you who had problems with water, i know nothing of it and i ride in all weather. Now I notice the BC 1100 has a new look. Its smaller than the one I have. Maybe thats the one with the water resistant problem because mine stands up to the hottest and coldest and wettest rides.

Favorite Trail:   No trails here

Purchased At:   R & A Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity 2, Vetta HR 1000

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Road

Submitted by Brennan Coulson a Downhiller from Newtown Wellionton New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Strengths:    Good mount and takes lots of beating from me but keeps on ticking!!!!

Weaknesses:    WHY will it not turn off????

Bottom Line:
well it is alright i would have rather had one that will turn off but you know if its free its all good!

Favorite Trail:   Anything that has steep hills and lots of mudd!!

Purchased At:   0

Bike Setup:   -Marin Frame
-RST Mozo Pro 4" adjustable fron shocks
-Magura blue hydrolics
-Deor LX front/Deor DX rear derailers

Submitted by Ziegel Ziegelaar a Weekend Warrior from Spaarndam

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    It still works and with my kind of biking that's almost a miracle.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't shut itself down so it's display wears out the battery, slowly, but it does.

Bottom Line:
Put a clear instructionbook somewhere on the net for people that did lose the instructionbooklet like I did and didn't bike for a while so the batteries ran out...

Favorite Trail:   Rond Spaarndam & Haarlem

Purchased At:   de wolkenfietser

Similar Products Used:   none whatsoever

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguano

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Marietta GA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    there are no stengths with this product

Weaknesses:    everything....

Bottom Line:
Trash...I'll never buy a sigma product again. Poor instruction manual, hard to set up and the thing never did work. I can't believe LBS sold me this thing. No help from them either.

Favorite Trail:   silver comet

Purchased At:   roswell bikes

Similar Products Used:   avocet

Submitted by Jon Are a Cross Country Rider from Molde, Norway

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    -DURABLE! Takes plenty abuse.
-plenty of functions
-affordable
-easy to use (haven't tried the new models, though)

Weaknesses:    -ugly

Bottom Line:
I've abused this thing for 5 years and 3 bikes. Crack'd the display on differen occations - it keeps on going. Machine washed it several times (both before and after the cracks). Dried it out and went riding again. I've worn out the batteries and busted the wire a few times, but the computer is still going strong. Great product.

Similar Products Used:   None. The 1100 haven't broken yet.

Bike Setup:   98 K2 Proflex 4000, X-link forks, Maguras (love 'em), upgraded wheelset.

Submitted by Doug Szumski a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    Once it's set up it works great, backlight, loads of features

Weaknesses:    NOT WATERPROOF, instructions are not worth having, display is a little small

Bottom Line:
Once it's set up it works fine until it gets wet. I noticed some condensation on it after a wet ride so i left in a warm place to dry out. The next day i go to use it and the thing had reset itself and the backlight was permanently on. The backlight is now useless nso i am going to buy a water proof speedo next time. Buy it if you don't ever get soaked on your bike, if you do stay well away.

Favorite Trail:   new forest

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   Proflex 757

Submitted by biknben a Racer from Robbinsville, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    CHEAP!!! You get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Cheesey rubber harnesses. Weak Magnet

Bottom Line:
I gave this computer a chance and it just keeps getting worse. I bought the computer and a wireless mount. I put the regular mount on my road bike and the wireless on my MT bike. I bought it because I could use it on two bikes relatively easily and it had a wireless option.
On the first MTB ride (happened to be a race) I crashed hard. 15 minuted later I looked down and the computer was gone. Luckily, I found it on the next lap. The two tabs that hold the computer to the mount broke off so the computer just slid out of the mount. I realize that my crash caused this but it was the first time I went down the first time I had it on the bike. It's gotta be able to put up with SOME abuse.
Since the tabs on the wireless mount broke I only use it on my Road bike now. A few weeks ago it just stopped getting a reading from the magnet. After screwing with it for an hour it started working again. Still don't know what was wrong. But noe it gives weard top speed numbers. After every ride I always get some rediculous max speed like 63 MPH. I'm not fast. This screws up the avg. speed so I can't trust anything it tells me. All it is good for now is the speedo and stopwatch.

It will be replaced soon. If I can find an address, I'm gonna send it back to Sigma and tell them what I think.

The price is real cheap...but if you're gonna have to buy another in a couple months what are you saving.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   L.L. Bean

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive, Full XTR, Z-2 X-Fly Fork

Submitted by Brad a Cross-Country Rider from Littleton CO

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Has all the functions I need
Durable

Weaknesses:
None Yet

Bottom Line:
The reason I bought this computer was that the yellow & turquoise matched my bike perfectly. After spending way too much on yellow Race Face parts, it was a small price to pay to continue my color scheme. Now after owning it for over a year I'm as impressed by how well it works as by how good it looks. I ride in the rain once in a while and haven't had any problems with it's ability to stand up to water. The metal sleeve is a pain in the ass, but one it's on the spoke, the magnet stays put.
After 600+ rough miles it works great!
5 flaming chilis.