Sigma Sport Computer BC-700 Computer

4.68/5 (19 Reviews)

Sigma Computer BC-700

Submitted by Krzys a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    looks neat and feels like quality; large & clean display, easy & functional switches, good value for money (always comparing to others, not to wired versions!)

Weaknesses:    wireless sensor sucks, eats-up expensive batteries Especially two packs ove the fork sensor; it doesn't even warn you when they are down and surprises you. And the fork sensor, being heavy, vibrates with the shock and changes position (a little rubber strip just ain't enough to fix it hard)

Bottom Line:
Paid extra $25 for the wireless gig (compared to the wired version), but soon I was very sorry I did. And not mainly for another $20-25 I spent for the batteries during those 3 years. It just to often wasn't there, when I needed it. Otherwise, this is a darling really (when it works!). Avoid wireless - unless it's some bloetooth or something...

Favorite Trail:   Peloponese

Purchased At:   Metro C&C in Sofia, BG

Bike Setup:   unimportant, always with front suspension

Submitted by Al Osorio a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Very Accurate. Has outlasted all other brands I have used. Display holds up well in the Heat and Direct sun of Summer.
unmatched value for for the buck. The heavy duty rubber bands are still holding up after 1500+ Miles of pure MTBing.

Weaknesses:    Not sexy to look at compared to other products. But I Don't care.

Bottom Line:
Great Value for the buck. I have never seen such an accurate computer. I don't know if it was luck but I was riding a tour out of a MTB book in Norhtern Italy and my Sigma was within 200 Meters of each Check POINT! And it's tough.

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switzerland

Purchased At:   Migros in Zurich

Similar Products Used:   Older Avocets and Vetta. Total of 3 and all were same price or more expensive.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar with LX/XT mix on drive train and gears. SRAM 9.0 Vbrakes (top stuff) Bontrager rims, RaceFace Bar (newly added for safety) Manitou Fork (always happy with Manitou so far) Various rubber-still haven't met the perfect one. Gonna Give Ritchey ZEDS a shot this season.

Submitted by Paul Lanhart a Cross Country Rider from Burnsville, MN

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Strengths:    Durable, accurate, good functions (pretty much everything you need), easy-to-read display, easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Configuring can be confusing if you lose the instructions. Can't change the total mileage unless you remove the batteries. Wires can pull out of the base.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good computer. It is very durable and functional. I haven't had any problems except the wires pulled out of my handlebar base. They could improve on that part of it. I like that you can get replacement parts pretty easily (found them at my bike shop). I've been using it for over 2 years with no probs.

Favorite Trail:   CAMBA trails in WI

Similar Products Used:   Older Sigma computer, Trek

Bike Setup:   '95 Kona, XT all around

Submitted by Martin Lawson a Racer from Livingston Village, Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Strengths:    Good clear display, autostart function handy, Nice and thin when you take it off and put it in you saddle bag.

Weaknesses:    Tricky to set up, spent ages trying to get the sensor to send to the receiver. Not convinced about the rubber band holding the sensor, probably change that quite soon.

Bottom Line:
I set it up in my front room, couldn't get it to communicate, found out that the TV was interfering with the signal. no problems after that. My last Cateye stood up to many years of abuse, this one looks like it should be up for the task and more. Loose one chili for the rubber band and slightly small buttons

Favorite Trail:   Scotland ( All of it )

Similar Products Used:   Cateyes - various

Bike Setup:   Fisher - Hoo 2000 standard setup

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Strengths:
Great overall, works fine with no problems, never screws up under any conditions, looks great. Won't snap out no matter what you do to it.

Weaknesses:
Stupid wire gets in the way and sometimes gets caught, but not hard to fix at all.

Bottom Line:
I can't say anything bad about it. I'm going to stick this on my new bike when I get it.

Don't have one

1 Year

My friend's got a Bell computer, more functions but the sensor that goes on the spoke is a big ugly thing. Not nearly as elegant as this.

Don't ask.

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from Devon, UK

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had a cordless computer before, though it was not Sigma, and I can easily say my present 700 is infinitely better. The first completely stopped working for no apparent reason, defeating me, my riding partner and my Dad who's an electric type blokey. So far after at least 120 off-road miles in the very worst mud Dartmoor can throw at it it has stayed true. Being a purist, and short of wallet, I still ride with ridgid forks so I thought the constant vibration and harsh shocks would cause malfunctions, but this thing's been sweet! Easily 5 burning chile / dead horse type things.

Submitted by Derek a cross-country rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got the 700 model with the regular wire harness, and upgraded to the wireless system when the wire wore through rubbing up against my tire. This works great in any weather conditions PROVIDED YOU KEEP THE CONTACTS VERY CLEAN AND USE A LITTLE DI-ELECTRIC GREASE (found at any electronics or auto parts store) ON THEM. Other than that, the little bugger has repelled every drop of rain, bucket of snow, and dousing of mud I've thrown at it without so much as blink.

Submitted by Crystal Trout a weekend warrior from olney, il

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hey everyone, thanks for the great review. It is our goal to produce a high quality product at an affordable price. If you ever need anything or have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we would love to hear from you. (Toll free 888-744-6277)

Submitted by Jon Gelb a racer from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Sigma BC-800:
If you're into quality and performance this is the one to get. Sigma has done a wonderful job making a computer with an easy-to-read display and the important features that you want. It might not tell you what time it is in China or how high you are above sea level; that's the great part about it. There is no excess crap on it, just the real instruments you need to have a better bike ride. And another thing: it isn't gonna break down on you when you're in the middle of a race or a training session. So I give it the big 5 chillies.

Submitted by Dave B a cross-country rider from UK

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Sigma is a pretty good computer overall. The major oddity with it is in setting it up: the mph/kph toggle simply changes the display. In order to have mph you have to do a little mathematics. This doesn't worry me (I can do long division) because I use it in Kilometres mode -- it suits my maps much better.Other than that it works like a normal bike computer, with all the functions advertised. Weather proof too. The computer fits pretty solidly into the mount unit, so it can't easily be knocked out, but the mounting is a little less robustly attached to the frame by zipties or rubber bands. I think I'd prefer some screws in there...The cordless mount kit is a good investment for MTBers. There is no need to turn it back on after a break (as mentioned elsewhere). It does mean you hve to use 3 sets of batteries for the system with the leg battery prone to wearing out before the others, but for a measly sum you can replace it easy as pie.When I bought mine it was 20 GBP cheaper than pretty much any of the other cordless computers. Now the cateye is the same price, you'd have to look at that one too. Especially as the cateye's have dual setup potential for MTBers with 2 sets of wheels for road and off road.recommended

Submitted by Skip a weekend warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Nice computer, unless you go wireless. The wireless kit requires 2 more batteries and additional mounting restrictions. That you might expect, but what really sucks about it is that to save battery life the transmitter kicks off after 10 min., but doesn't autostart, so if you don't remember to turn it on after lunch or some break, your trip mileage will be off. I returned the wireless kit. The mounting of the computer is a little weak, using o-ring bands. Wire ties would be better. I needed to shim the receiver, but it was easy to do. Ideally, I want individual resets (e.g., reset stop watch, without resetting, say, max speed), but I don't think any computers provide that. 12 hour time format would be nice, but no big deal. 100th of a mile granularity for trip distance is nice.

Submitted by Fabrizio a weekend warrior from Venice, Italy

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Since 1995 I have on my handlebar a Sigma 700. I have changed three bikes but no my BC 700 and its batteries(only the rubber band for fix the sensor on the forks has been changed). Easy to use, necessary functions,big screen with only a little problem: the connections between the computer holder and the cable easy to broke (also if with a soldering gun you can repair it in less a minute) for this I suggest the wireless option or make attention when you lift the bike.But I must say that after three bikes and three years of mud, sand, dust, water and bumps, the computer works perfectly, so... 5 peppers.

Submitted by Niklas a weekend warrior from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

It rules, it can take smashes and bashes, water and mud...everything
the battery lasts for years and years, (2 years so far)
It's the best...and cheap!
oh yeah...the display is very good, it can take heat or cold just as well.
only one bad thing with the sigma, the computer holder (the metallic plates)
gets all scratchy...and then the computer don't work, But i don't care about that, the computer is good anyway!!don't leave home without your Sigma...
the 50 word limit....don't like it...

Submitted by SJP III a weekend warrior from Wausau, WI

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

This computer rocks, it easy to set up and opperate, It is also a very durable unit that can take some pretty serious crashes without skipping a beat. Compared to my old crappy one that I frogot the name of, this one beats it hands down. It's versatility and options makes it very useful for the serious rider. And the batteries last a long time..

Submitted by j wallace a cross-country rider from state college PA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

$35 on sale at CBO-and that's with the wireless upgrade. I love the wireless option, have wanted one for months because I keep ripping out wires on brush. It's small, the colors aren't bad, and the instructions are short and sweet. I put a piece of clear shipping tape over the screen to keep it from scratching, just replace it every few months. A nice piece of work, and a great price.