Sigma Sport BC 400 Computer

3.27/5 (15 Reviews)

sigma BC 400

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2013

Strengths:    Functions are simple and easy to figure out

Weaknesses:    Installation is a headache. The cord is very long and the wheel magnet has to pass within 5mm of the receiver. It does not work on my bike because it the gap is too large.

Bottom Line:
Seems nice and simple, but installation is the major issue. Look into other computers instead of this one

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Strengths:    (this is a review of the BC 401 and the wireless upgrade BC-RCS)
Its straight,simple and uncluttered. One button 4 functions.
clock,speed trip distance and odometer. I wish all computers were this simple. instrustions are fairly simple. (mostly pictorial)

If your looking for

Weaknesses:    Not on computer.
The wireless upgrade can be tricky though. Distance between magnet and sensor is very sensitive. No more than 5mm or it wont work.

Bottom Line:
Simple, clean, cheap and easy to use what more what more could you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Hart-Montigue

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   cateye mitty-3 (POS). Giant 3 function (old reliable)

Bike Setup:   2002 lemond tourmelet double w/ terry liberator saddle

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Longmeadow, MA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    I used this computer along with the Sigma wireless kit. Strengths are: Wireless is nice and clean. Easy to navigate display. Has good amount of info for the price, small. Sigma has good customer service.

Weaknesses:    This product worked only on and off. When I first got it, it worked great. Then one day I took a minor spill, computer falls off mount, and two small bumps on the mount that hold the computer in place are stripped. I send it back to Sigma, who promptly sends me a replacement. Only it doesn't work. Replace the battery (which is quite pricey ), and now I'm set for good, right? Wrong. The computer works for a while, then starts going on and off for two weeks, then goes completely dead. I replace the battery again, but that doesn't help. That's where I am right. It sucks.

Bottom Line:
I would not recomend this product. It has nice features, but is a major headache. I think that it may be due to the fact that it is not really a wireless computer, just a wired one with a wireless kit. I'll write a follow up in another few months. But for now, I cannot say that this is not a good buy.

Favorite Trail:   Kennedy Park, Lenox MA

Purchased At:   Stateline Cycles

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 3, stock.

Submitted by Gert a Racer from Estonia

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    Long battery age.I haven't changed it till I got it.

Weaknesses:    Lack of functions(4).No buttons and the brackrt broke, don't know how.

Bottom Line:
It has worked for 4 years but i need more functions and buttons.If you don't want to see your avarage or max speed, buy it.Otherwise don't.I wouldn't

Favorite Trail:   N6mme,Tallinn

Submitted by Frank from Pomona, NY

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Ease of use. Split screen.Alternating info;Trip, Distance and Time on lower screen, Large speedo readout on upper screen. No buttons to search for.

Weaknesses:    as said before instructions are weak.

Bottom Line:
good computer, does what its supposed to do. I like the alternating readouts.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Detroit Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    easy to use, its got a button, simple

Weaknesses:    no max speed or average speed

Bottom Line:
I have the bc 401, which is the 400 with a button. its real simple to use and i dont have to be looking down for an hour to try and find stuff on it and smackin a tree. could be cheaper, but oh frickin well

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake-yellow

Purchased At:   B3

Similar Products Used:   other sigmas

Bike Setup:   klein mantra comp

Submitted by A a Weekend Warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    *always on
*clear display
*the basic functions you need
*easy to install
*reliable

Weaknesses:    *instructions (not really a product weakness per se, but the instructions could be clearer)

Bottom Line:
Great entry level computer. I don't miss the avg and max speed functions of higher end computers.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity 2 (a long time ago)

Submitted by Ted from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had a good experience with the BC 400. However, I have lost my instructions and need to re-set my computer. Can someone e-mail instructions to me? Thanks

Submitted by Jerry G. from Redondo Beach,CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Price (15 bucks)
automatic (nothing to push)
the 4 functions
easy install
Big speed numbers

Bottom Line:
Love this automatic thing that dislays a big speed readout,trip distance,odometer & clock with nothing to push.

Similar Products Used:   cat eye & velo

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 800 sport

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Menifee, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    I love the alt. time and speed. I love not having to press any buttons. I like that it has a total trip that stays on so you can see how many miles you put on the bike.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
A very usfull first computer and very easy to set up!!!

Purchased At:   A place in Germany off eBay NEW!!!

Similar Products Used:   watch for time and guessing when you hit the ground for the speed j/k

Bike Setup:   a huffy POS but it works (for now) and i will keep riding it untill it breaks

Submitted by Russ Fay from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent first computer - basic, uncomplicated, does what it says it will do. Love the readout, especially the alternating time/distance display. Unlike some other reviewers, I found it easy to setup. I only got another because I lost it after I took it off my bike, when I took the bike in for a tuneup. Like one of the other reviewers, I too like not having to press buttons on the go, to get information.

Weaknesses:    Like I said, it does what it says it will do. If you want more features, you should buy it in the first place. After I lost it, however, I decided I wanted more features.

Bottom Line:
I liked this computer before I lost it. The Mity 3 that I replaced it with has more features, but is the most confusing piece of garbage I could imagine, I can't even tell the time while riding. If all you want to know is speed, distance, odometer and time - this is the computer for you. For additional information, I'd recommend one of the more feature-filled Sigmas, like the 600 - it's probably what I'll get next!

Favorite Trail:   man of the streets - don't do trails

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity 3

Bike Setup:   Like I said, I'm a street kind of guy - A mongrol Centurion (I've got kids & grandkids, can't afford a $1500+ bike)

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    nice rubber attachments, reusable if you want to use it on another bike (versus zip ties), decent size display, good quality plastic

Weaknesses:    horrible button ergonomics, expensive, no average speed feature!

Bottom Line:
don't buy it, spend less money on something that does more like a cateye...

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro, Velo, and Mity 3

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Mililani,HI USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Strengths:    Simple dual display of speed plus rotating display of clock time and trip distance at about 2 sec intervals. I like not having to push buttons.

Weaknesses:    Rubber band attachment of computer to handle bar and sensor to fork seem a bit fragile but haven't broken yet.
Lacks trip time, ave speed, and other common functions.

Bottom Line:
This was the cheapest computer I could find, and I really like not having to press the buttons to check the time and distance. I'm not that interested in ave speed, elapsed time, cadence, etc., so I don't miss those features.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain dirt bike single track

Similar Products Used:   Various others with more functions.

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
The shop where I bought my mountain bike was so kind to fit it for me, so I won't know about how difficult it is to decipher the instructions and fit it yourself.

However, on my way to my regular afternoon ride, fumbling with my apartment key in the one hand and my waterbottle in the other hand I accidentally dropped the computer and . . . it stopped working! As simple as that: the digital display is unreadable and it jumps around in its readings now, from e.g. 9 km (on a trip) to 2.1 km!

From one silly fall! Not exactly what I'd call shock esistant!

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from Eliot ME

Date Reviewed: February 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

my first computer. now i know why i wated so long to by one. the instructions on how to set the wheel circumference are confusing. they ask you to give the compter a three digit value,but the chart lists almost all four digits. i took it back to the shop where i got it and the guy told me that you only use the first three numbers. now it works. now to figure out the time. low score for lousey instructions.