Sigma Sport BC 2006 MHR Computer

2.86/5 (14 Reviews)

The digitally coded BC 2006 MHR combines the classic features of a wireless bike computer with the most important altitude, heart rate and temperature functions. With the easy to operate 4-button navigation.

Submitted by BerndK a Weekend Warrior from Munich, Germany

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    - big display
- a lot of features incl. heart rate
- cool looks
- easy to mount on bar and fork
- quick replacement by Sigma

Weaknesses:    - frequent connection loss
- faulty heartrate display
- also from time to time - after stopping for a few minutes, it doesn't realize when you move again (you have to clip it out and back in)
- finally drowned in a rain shower, losing complete functionality on one button

Bottom Line:
Sigma was quick and friendly replacing the unit (one chili extra for this), but the replacement had all the same problems, except the heart rate bug was fixed. After one year of use, I wanted to dump it for its unreliability - but my girlfriend "saved" it due to its "cool looks", rode it on her bike for another two years with frequent connection losses and not counting after short stops. Bought it as it won many tests in German bike magazines...

Similar Products Used:   Sigma BC1606, BC800

Bike Setup:   Used it on 80, 100, 140 mm forks

Submitted by Wendell Lynch a Weekend Warrior from Hopkinsville, Ky.

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Multi-Function Display
Price
Functionality

Weaknesses:    Very difficult to program
Occasional freeze screen

Bottom Line:
Have used this product for 6 months. Initially it was very difficult to program. Instructions are not very clear. Altimeter appears to be quite accurate. On several occasions the unit just stopped receiving and recording data; only zeros on the screen. After a while it would began to function normal again. It has worked without a problem for the past month. I like the broad range of functions in the BC 2006 MHR DTS, a good value for the price. I paid about $90 for the unit. I would rate at 3.5.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Krx a Weekend Warrior from Croatia

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    A lot of functions. I've also liked heart rate and temperature.

Weaknesses:    Frequent connection loss.
Extremely bad (flimsy) mounting system. It jumped off from it 10ish times, until I've finally lost it somewhere in forest.
Not intuitive to cycle trough many functions. Pain to reset all for next ride.

Bottom Line:
I'll probably never buy more expensive Sigma Sport products again.

Similar Products Used:   Other Sigma Sport Bike Computers

Submitted by Piotr a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    A lot of functions

Weaknesses:    Loses signal, poor design, tragic usability, poor quality

Bottom Line:
Many functions: useless, to difficult to switch between them. Heart rate monitor: useless, no traning zones.
Other functions also problematical, loses signal far to often. The buttons difficult to push, no feedback if you pushed it or not, while pushing, the whole device is displacing because the mounting bracket is so flexible.

After having all other problems described above, I have just opened the heart rate transmitter to replace the battery (yestarday it stoped working). To my surprise the battery compartment was full of liquid and the seal was not properly installed, BY THE FACTORY !!! I promised myself: never Sigma and never DTS again. This is the way how manufactures loses their customers.

Submitted by SpamCone a Weekend Warrior from Fredericksburg,VA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2009

Strengths:    Big display and heart rate monitor

Weaknesses:    Mounting to the mountain bike with suspension forks a challenge. I gave up on trying to find right o-ring and went to aluminum wire for picture hanging. Distance for reception of monitor a challenge too!

Bottom Line:
Road bike this is made for you!!! Mountain bikers I would go somewhere else. My cateye had a small display and was looking for something else and this was on sale. Since I have started Mountain biking going for the cheap deal has never paid off and this is another example. I think saving the cash and getting a garmin 205 or 305 is the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Quantico

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   CatEye micro wireless

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 8

Submitted by jajabinks a Racer from Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    Well made, good range of data, helpful in training

Weaknesses:    Does not like LEDs, manual could be better

Bottom Line:
With the exception of night riding, I've found it to work very well and accurrately.
The speed display does drop to 0 occassionally, but it keeps recording overall speed/distance, so no info is lost.
I have a quad LED helmut mounted light, and the interference turns it into a clock, which is unfortunate, as I'm quite happy with it otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   Hudden Vale

Purchased At:   NRG Cycles

Bike Setup:   08 Stumpjumper

Submitted by skyhook a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    Plenty of features that are potentially very useful. Heart rate monitor seems very reliable and accurate.

Weaknesses:    Wireless reception from wheel sensors is marginal, at best, and can come and go during a ride. This makes the cycle computer essentially useless at the most basic level, not to mention, frustrating!!!

Bottom Line:
After trying for 5 months to get this to work reliably, I've finally had enough. This is a great computer... but only when it actually works. Unfortunately, it often doesn't. I ride a lot, so missing out on all of this data has been extremely frustrating. Of course, nothing is logged if it doesn't think the wheel is moving. I'm going to try something else, now.

At least the customer service at Sigma was good. Very responsive and helpful.

But, this product just didn't work very well, at least for me. The problems all stem from the wireless connection between the transmitter and receiver. I've tried this on two different bikes with two different wheel sensors with two different computers, and followed the mounting instructions exactly, with fresh batteries in everything more than once. And, yes, the wheel magnet was plenty close to the sensor, and verified as working (flashing LED, audible click of switch).

If it was simply wired to the wheel sensor, I'm sure it would be perfect. The wireless heart rate monitor and everything else has been flawless.

Out of the box, before mounting, I noticed the sensor had to be held within about 2 feet for the computer to start registering. I should have given up there.

The RMA replacement was at least as bad, probably worse.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting some good use out of this product. Hopefully, they'll fix this in their next design. Also, o-rings are eventually going to crack and fail, which are a bad idea for securing anything on a bike. The zip-tie alternative, which is an add-on that can be purchased seperately, still has a radius too small for a mountain bike fork, and a clip that comes too close to the wheel magnet on a road bike fork. Hopefully, they'll improve this, too.

Oh well...

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cateye (wireless, and never a problem)

Bike Setup:   One road bike, one mountain bike.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Maple Valley WA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Well made (German), accurate, large, easy to read display, good feature/price ratio

Weaknesses:    Attachment system is terrible, no heart rate zone info

Bottom Line:
This is my second German-made computer (the other was a Ciclo). Both units are well made and have much-appreciated altitude and temperature features. The BC2006 MHR has an excellent display, especially for cyclists who must use prescription lenses (LARGE characters on display). Typical, poorly written instruction manual omits much in the way of explanation of the feature set. My biggest gripe has to do with mounting the computer and transmitter, both of which rely on o-rings. The Ciclo also used this system - don't the Germans know about zip-ties??? The BC2006 package shipped with an adapter for the transmitter that allows for attaching with two zip-ties, but the adapter (as described in a previous review) has a lip that extends into the spokes of the front wheel, making it virtually useless. It does not work on either of my two bikes/forks/wheel sets. Did these guys actually do any trials with this adapter before shipping it to dealers? Apparently not - it is AWFUL. If you feel confident about relying on a large rubber band for securing your $100 computer to your bike, good for you. I do not. It's a no-brainer as to whether an o-ring (not very durable and you lose your computer or transmitter if one breaks) versus the simple 2 zip-tie system everyone else in the world uses (more durable and if one breaks you keep your investment) is more reliable. I would have given this computer another star and a half if it wasn't for this design stupidity. It would have also been an easy addition to the feature set to include heart rate zone information, even if it meant losing a couple of other outputs (like time up/down and distance up/down). I am going to attempt using wire or other material to reinforce the o-rings, unless someone has figured out a better way of attaching the components to the frame. Finally, I've heard battery life is really bad, but I don't have enough ride time to comment on this.

Similar Products Used:   Garmin Edge 305, a variety of other bicycle computers including Ciclo Sport, Cateye, etc.

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by Willem Boom a Racer from Bend, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome display, good features

Weaknesses:    Mounting is a challenge to say the least. The fork mounted cadence (signal) unit was a real pain to mount. Sigma provides multiple sizes of rubber rings to mount on different forks. None of which worked with my Fox Fork. Therefore I ended up modifying the unit to work with ZIP Ties. This worked well in the end. The challenge is that I could have bought the Cateye V3 and not experienced any issues. The ZIP Ties are far tighter than the rubber band set-up.

I also had to replace the battery after one month of use. NOT GOOD! After all of this it works.

Bottom Line:
Mixed. Great product. Lousy manual. Rubber bands are a challenge. I would look at the Cateye V3 or the Nite Rider Rebel 8.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Polar, Garmin, etc...

Bike Setup:   Ventana X-5, with all the great stuff... Fox Float Fork (cadence mount) and my Thomson X4 Stem (Computer Unit Mounted) - This worked out well.

Submitted by Artemisia from Paris, France

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2008

Strengths:    We never even got there.

Weaknesses:    Yet ANOTHER wireless than can only be installed on 100% conventional architectures.

Bottom Line:
The two bikes I ride are a folding Dahon and a recumbent trike. This is about the 5th bike computer I have bought in an attempt to find a wireless that will work on these bikes.

Forget it. The only place to put the monitor on the recumbent is on the handlebar, which is under the seat, almost directly behind the wheel, at an angle of about 180°. The manual says that the monitor must be _above_ the receiver at an angle of not more than 35°.

As for the folding Dahon, it has 20" wheels and a long reach, about 1 meter between the handlebar and the rim of the wheel. The Sigma only permits a distance of about 45 cm. I could use the counter on this bike only if the monitor is invisible while riding, and completely useless for navigation.

In other words, unless you are riding a bike with a 100% conventional architecture, this product will not even begin to work for you.

Despite all the promising hype about digital wireless, this means it is also futile to try it on a back wheel. Although there is a distant possibility that by mounting the monitor on the baggage rack (where, once again, it is invisible and useless to its purpose) it could be within 35° of the receiver, this would put the heart monitor out of range.

All of this _might_ be fair, if there were clear warnings to this effect in the sales literature and on the Web site. I am ABSOLUTELY FED UP with discovering this only once I have opened the seal on a product for which I have already dished out in three figures. As far as I'm concerned, this product is advertized dishonestly.

Purchased At:   Geargurl

Similar Products Used:   Polar s720i; Timex Ironman; other Sigmas, other wireless.

Bike Setup:   Velotechnik Scorpion FX folding recumbent trike
Dahon Impulse P21 folding touring bike, 20" wheels

Submitted by Benji Hanson a Cross Country Rider from Duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Seems to be of high quality. I have ridden with it over 2000 miles through downpours and through some pretty cold weather and it held up well. I appreciate the temperature and altimeter functions, and like the convenience of the wireless technology. It reduces clutter on your bike too.

Weaknesses:    The Wireless! If you have high-powered bike lights beware! Now, I realize this isn't really a problem with the BC200MHR DTS, but I have tried three different LED lighting systems, the last from Blackburn (x6 system) and if you turn the lights on, you lose your wireless signals due to interference. I contacted Sigma about the problem. Their response was to move the computer farther away from the lights. I moved the computer to the middle of the top tube, and now can use the right side light without interference. I also get random interference while riding through town, which causes the speed reading to occasionally drop to 0, and causes you to lose a few miles on a long ride. Light manufactures need to shield their lights better, or computer manufacturers need to find some way to address this problem.

Bottom Line:
Depending where you ride and what equipment you use, the BC2006MHR may be the perfect computer for you. I personally need to go back to a wired computer so I can use both of my lights and get accurate speed and odometer readings. I hate to sell the BC2006MHR because I love the temperature and altitude functions, but I don't have a choice at this point. It you run high-powered bike lights, go with a wired computer solution. I've already puchased a wired Sigma BC1606L with bike 2 mount to take the place of this computer. If you're interested, I've included the response I received from Sigma on the topic of light interference with cycling computers.

Hi Ben,
Yes, this is a problem! Unfortunately most of the newer high power lightsdo interfere with all wireless computers. Your best bet is to get the computer as far away from the lights as possible. If you aren't looking at the computer while you are riding (at night) I would move the mount to the top tube, that way you get the information, but the lights are as far away as possible. Moving the lights out in front of the bars will help as well. You might be able to get away with moving the lights forward and putting the computer as far left as possible. Other than that, we are all waiting for a light system with less interference! Sigma will have lights available that will not interfere with our wireless computers in the near future! Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Geargurl

Similar Products Used:   I have previously used wired Sigma products on a few different bikes and never had any problems with them (until I dropped my last Sigma computer on the pavement a few times. This prompted me to buy the BC2006MHR as a replacement.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota 29er and Douglas Precision Pro road bike. I use the wireless sensors 1 and 2 for the different wheel sizes and swapt the computer between the two.

Submitted by Radek Janicki a Cross Country Rider from Lublin, Poland

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Big, clear display with ability to show many info at once. Many features and functions including altimeter and pulsometer. Lightweight - 59 grams with batteries. Device to measure HR is an additional 207 grams, but you put it on your chest, not a bike.

Weaknesses:    Some bikers might find it a bit big - 45x50x14 mm.

Bottom Line:
I am pleased with this purchase and my only concern is battery life. I am afraid it is not too long. I wish they would work for a year or more. On the bright side computer has low battery indicator and then after changing batteries all you have to set up again is a clock and wheel size. All other things will remain in memory.
Computer can be mounted on the handlebar or stem. There are rubber bands to mount computer base and sensor, which makes it lighter I guess, but a bit flimsy. I already managed to accidentally move sensor, so it couldn't "see" the magnet. Also, when you push the button whole thing moves away a bit.
Computer supposes to activate when it senses wheel movement, however sometimes it does not and like in my previous computer (Topeak) I had to push some button to wake it up.
Other feature that I like is backlight, even though it drains batteries fast, as producent worns.
After all I think it is a good buy, firm is known of its reliable products and this one is one of their bests.

Purchased At:   xtrabike.webd.pl