Sigma Sport BC 1609 Cadence Wired Computer

Sigma BC-1609L Cycle Computer w/Cadence has a rear mount for the cadence. Ideal for indoor trainer use. Featuring a stopwatch, temperature display, backlight and cadence, this computer is sure to please.

Submitted by AT a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    - It works! What more can I say. It appears to be a simple device, but it makes the ride a bit more interesting.

Weaknesses:    Came without instructions on how to install the cadences components... Nice instructions on setting it up for speed and distance, but completely missing the cadence instructions... Had to guess.. Lucky for me I guess good enough.

Bottom Line:
I am glad I bought it... Maybe once I've used it more and learned more I may want to upgrade.. but $20 on sale and I am learning is great!

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on

Purchased At:   Noble Sports

Bike Setup:   Felt F50

Submitted by rnew a Weekend Warrior from Augusta, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    This review is to the BC 1609 STS + cadence. The computer has a nice classic look and easy to read numbers. I just put it on and rode around for about 6 miles and it's almost accurate. I drove my route in a car and its 2.3 miles around at my neighbors mail box. The odometer on the bike read 2.5 miles to my driveway which is a stones throw from his mailbox. So I guess it's about accurate. I might need to manually measure the circumference of my tire instead of going by the chart. The only trouble I had setting up this portion was figuring out that mine came with next to dead batteries so I had to take the battery out of the cadence feature and install it in the computer then buy two more batteries as the one that I switched around was almost dead. Lukily these only cost five dollars a piece.
I also like the temperature feature (I don't know what good it is) and the other features such as the clock and average speed. You can also enter mileage from a previous odometer. I also like the symbol for the heart which means your current speed is slower then your average speed so you need to speed up. If your current and your average is the same it says nothing and if your current is faster then your average it points and arrow as if to say "attaboy".

Weaknesses:    This is going to be a list and long winded as I am still frustrated and my back hurts. The only thing that I didn't much care for is having to press 2 buttons to be able to press one button for the light to come on. That seemed a little dangerous. What I mean is, it's easier to press one button and maintain stability then press 2 buttons. You will see what I mean if you get one. Afterwards just pressing one button is much easier then pressing 2. But, that's really trivial. I just need to be careful.
My main gripe is the cadence. All units are put on by rubber bands that hook around and connect to little curved pieces or by straps (preference) and work fine until you put on the cadence. The cadence feature hooks fine to but thats not the problem. The magnet that hooks to your pedal has to be 12 millimeters away and it even comes with an extension in case you exceed the distance. Otherwise it will not work so it really has to be close. The problem is that the curved piece on the bottom of the cadence takes up half that distance, maybe more, and when you make one revolution the magnet hits the sensor. If it is too close it will hit the pedal and if it is too far away (which is not even the width of a pencil) it wont work at all. This is not the case for the sensor in the front. It was very difficult to get that happy medium and move the sensor up and down the length of the frame to find out where it wont it and work at the same time. The front sensor seems to have a powerful enough magnet for a little distance but the cadence portion definitly does not. As a result of several trial and errors, now my crank is scratched up by a razor blade getting off the plastic ties. And yes, I did have to have them that tight otherwise the magnet would hit the curved piece where the o'rings go. A more powerful magnet in the back might allow for a little more distance like the front.
Another feature that I didn't like was a little gray button on the front sensor that you have to push with a very small screwdriver meant to tighten screws on prescription glasses for 4 seconds to switch to bike 2. I'm not an engineer but I guess they had to this but for God's sake man, put the button on the outside of the sensor so you don't have to take the unit off the forks and then reinstall.
Another thing that I don't understand is that the set and the reset are two different buttons. I know enough about programming to be dangerous and this can be done with one button which would leave 1 large button (easier access) and 2 small buttons on the bottom. That is just an aggravation more then anything. Once it is understood how it works it is easy.
My main grip is definitely the very very small gap required for the cadence feature and realizing that this is required they should have angled the cadence supports opposite from what it is now. The curved plastic piece to hook the o'rings takes up most or all of that space and the magnet winds up hitting the cadence unit.

Bottom Line:
I like the look and the solid feel and the features. I would like to see more legs of a trip besides "trip up" and "trip down" instead of temperature. I do like the temp though but there is one more feature that it does that I just cant figure out what its for?
Mainly, between the signal strength of the cadence and the required 12 millimeters and the backwards design of the angled hooks to catch the rubber o'rings really bothered me and took way to long to get just right and a happy medium of not hitting the magnet and still staying in the required distance. If the supports were longer on the inside instead of longer on the outside then there would not have been a problem. It is the same thing and it would allow for clearance of the magnet as you turn the crank. I would give it a better overall rating its just a real hassle to maintain clearance of the pedal and still stay within the required distance.

Favorite Trail:   Every where

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None so I have nothing to compare it too. The design of the hooks to catch the o'rings really bugged me because it took up most of the space. And yes, I did rotate it around to try to get the best angle and still get signal with hout hitting anything.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F9 with a Shimano alivio crank, a wtb seat with wellgo mg1 pedals and sooner the better some Marcossi shocks.

Submitted by Michaelk a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    easy to set up
works no problems
good set of features

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Very good small basic wired bike computer. Didn't take long to set up. This model comes with a cadence feature but I haven't installed the sensor yet. The other thing that makes this computer stand out is it is nice and small with a smooth aerodynamic look. The case is a clear black with chrome buttons recessed into the top and bottom edges. It also shows temperature.

Set up is fairly easy with included zip ties. The wheel sensor fits securely to the spoke with a metal sleeve to hold it in place. The computer fits nicely with a twist to the handlebar bracket. You can set it up to angle for the best view while riding.

Once installed you just have to input the wheel size for up to two bikes. You can also set the clock and km or mile measurement.

Once set up and installed it is really simple to use. The unit just twists onto the bar when you want to ride. After your ride you can reset most of the features for the next ride. The screen shows two measurements at a time. The top section shows current speed. The bottom feature you can switch to show avg speed, cadence, max speed, trip distance, trip time. There is also a clock, stopwatch, total odo, temp, total time, countdown, trip down, total time and temperature. Also there is a back-lite that can be set for on and then when any button is pressed the light will go off for a few seconds. Currenly I am still using the included battery. I did quite a bit of reading before I chose this unit and I am glad I did it is a good value.

Favorite Trail:   Stanley Park