Sigma Sport BC 1606L Computer

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Sigma BC 1606L Computer is SIGMA’s top model for the most demanding, even at night. The Sigma computer for dedicated cyclists. The "L" in the BC 1606L is for the "smart" back light. The cadence functions (current and average) provide valuable training data for efficient cycling both on the road and in the woods, and can be turned off completely when not in use. The count down timer is perfect for crits, cross, or racing against the clock. Features include pre-settings and total values are retained during battery change, automatic bike recognition with second bike sensor, total values faded while riding to enable better focusing on the necessary functions, on-time battery change reminder, and optimal readability even after nightfal.

Submitted by dmcq1943 a Cross Country Rider from Tigard, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2008

Strengths:    No Wires of Time, Dist, etc.

Weaknesses:    Manual hard to decipher. Unit just quits recording periodically for no reason I have ever been able to figure out. Contacts with Sigma were no help.

Bottom Line:
I gave this unit one star because there is no option for zero.

I am more than moderately compulsive when it comes to recording time and distance, and the fact that this unit just stops recording periodically makes it pretty much useless for keeping my log. I noticed another review that seemed to describe the same problem, but in my case removing the unit from the mount did not help. I had to actually "RESET ALL" in order to get it started again. The unit also went into sleep mode at long stop lights and would not wake up without doing the "RESET ALL" step.

I gave the unit away to a guy who just wanted the speed function. If it quits on him, he can "RESET ALL" on the fly and just keep going.

Sigma was no help at all. They suggested moving the unit away from the front strobe I always use, double checking the distances between the magnet and the sensor and also between the sensor/sender and the receiver. I changed positions. I changed batteries. I did everything Sigma suggested and everything I could think of.

I went back to my wired unit of the same model and have had not trouble at all. Ever.

I would not recomment the wireless unit to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Northwest Touring

Purchased At:   Pro-Deal

Similar Products Used:   Wired 1606 L and Shimano FlightDeck

Bike Setup:   Novara Viaggio, chrome moly frame and forks. Shimano XTR drive train

Submitted by lucyfek a Cross Country Rider from lake co, il

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Strengths:    comes with 2 mounts (one with cadence), can be rotated to be placed on the stem, easy swap between bikes, plenty of functions, good visibility in daytime, light at night

Weaknesses:    do we really need all these functions? personally i'd trade one of them for temperate sensor. one has to reset each counter (max speed, average, time ...) one at the time - would be nice to clear all trip counters at once. i don't like the idea to use rubber o-rings to attach mount, sensors (one size does not fit all, you may stretch it but i don't know how long it will last, easily replaceable zip-ties are the way to go). older sigmas used separate sensor mount with detachable sensor (attached to the wire) - much better when the time comes to service the fork 9especially considering the rubber o-rings you don't want to stretch too often , if ever). the cadence wires can interfere when mounted on the stem - attache these before you fix the mount to the stem

Bottom Line:
decent package for the price but some solutions/ideas are questionable. liked my old bc400 (or maybe bc300) for simplicity (speed, trip, odometer and time is really all i need) but needed a computer for another bike so got this one. it better last.

Favorite Trail:   DPR

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   cateye, sigma, trek

Submitted by joseph Strong from Bellows Falls Vt USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    Exteemly well made, and functional

Weaknesses:    none that i have come across

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent computer for an avid cyclist. I would recommend it to anyone. The backlight is very handy (I do alot of night rideing). Its easy to use and is easy to program and install.

Similar Products Used:   cateye, schwinn

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Plano, TX USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to read display. Cadence (I got the option). Light. Ability to mount on stem (vs. just on handlebar).

Weaknesses:    Unit loses contact with mount, causing it to stop functioning. Contacts for cadence wire do not work when mounting on oversize stem. Up-arrow and down-arrow (for showing speed above or below average) indicators too small to be seen.

Bottom Line:
I installed the cadence option, which is one of the reasons I wanted this computer. Back light works great (much of my riding is in the dark). After about six months of use, the unit would not stay in electrical contact with the mount. I have to unmount and re-mount the unit several times before and sometimes during each ride. Unit will also sometimes stop working mid-ride, I then have to unmount and re-mount it. I mounted the unit on my stem and quickly learned that the plug-in contacts for the cadence wires were almost inaccessible. After fiddling with these wires I got them to plug in, but they later broke off the mounting posts due to their proximity to the (oversize) stem. In all, I liked the unit when it worked but I've had too many problems with it.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Several Cateye products, Polar 720i.

Bike Setup:   '03 Specialized Stumpjumper, '07 Specialized Roubaix

Submitted by Joey a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    nice and absolutely great invention. the display is very bright, compact. nicely done. jump your bike to a river and this thing still works because this is watertight. i went downhilling and wiped out, cracks were on the cover, thought this thing might not work anymore, when i got on my bike again i was surprised there are no malfunctions.

Bottom Line:
this thing is good. recommended!

Similar Products Used:   i tried cateye products and still i prefer sigma.

Bike Setup:   ellsworth all mountain frame, shimano xtr groupset. selle san marco. sigma lights for front and rear

Submitted by gabriel a Racer from wyoming

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    function, futures, design and durability. products from sigma are great. the name i can trust. great technology at its best!

Bottom Line:
I have this product on my mountain bike and on my road bike. i would recommend it to my friends.

Similar Products Used:   other sigme cylo comps

Bike Setup:   GT MTB, Moots MTB and Trek road bike. XT comp on my GT, XTR comp on my moots, Compagnolo and FSA comp on my Trek.

Submitted by paul a Racer from colorado

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    nice style and design. functions and futures are very good. lots of functions. waterproof! relaible product, thats what sigma products are.

Weaknesses:    none. just for the battery, when it drains you have to change it lol...

Bottom Line:
i do lots of racing. highly recomended