Sigma Sport BC 1400 Cyclometer Computer

2.45/5 (20 Reviews)

Multi-segmented LCD display delivers clean, crisp digital displays that are readable even in extreme conditions. Full text display offers a choice of seven language prompts: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Polish. Features trip distance, riding time, current speed, maximum speed, average speed and comparison of actual to average speed. Also stopwatch, trip distance meter, clock, total distance for bike one and total distance for bike two. Odometer for wheel size one, odometer for wheel size two and grand total of ride time since installation or battery change.

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable, easy to use, accurate, problem fee, easy to setup.

Weaknesses:    Display unable to show more than two pieces of info at a time. no HRM conpatability

Bottom Line:
Delivers pretty much everything it should. Battery life is off the charts (make sure you use SR44, as LR44s are crap Lithium substitute and die after less than 6 months). I've been using this unit for 5 years, and it has stood the test. I'm exceptionally happy with it and have added the cadence monitor with great results (it was very easy to do and the instruction manual is very clear). Only weakness is that you can only show two pieces of info (I use speed and cadence) but it is easy to flick through while riding. I bought a cheap HRM and mounted the watch on other side of bars, so lack of heart rate is solved. Highly recommended, and don't think you can go wrong with this low cost unit. If you want an all in one unit, then you're ripping yourself off. You can pick up this unit and a cheap HRM for under $50. Bargain!

Favorite Trail:   Beach Road

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Bike Setup:   Cramerotti Corridore 2003 with Chorus front/Record 9 rear, Spox Spinergy

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    14 functions.

Weaknesses:    Died in under 1yr.

Bottom Line:
For $20, dead in 1yr it's no big deal. But you'd think it would last atleast 2yrs seeing as it's a Sigma product.
I bought my Sigma Sport BC1200 back in July 1997 in of all places a Tesco's in Budapest, Hungary for $20/CAN(3,000 HU Forint)it still works as it's on my 1996 GT Ricochet. The batteries that came with it lasted 2yrs and since then it's replaced once a year.
Bottom Line: I think either I got a bad comp. from the batch or like all the other reviews there quality went out the window!

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Vetta C-10, Sigma Sport BC1200, Bike Planet Protege 9.0.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk/stock - tires changed to slicks.
1996 GT Ricochet/stock - tires changed to slicks.

Submitted by Kian Wee Chua a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Strengths:    Cadence

Weaknesses:    Cadence wire keeps dropping off. The mounting provided does not work for many spokes and cranks. The oversized spokes of kysrium I used forced me to use chemical tapes. The mounting brackets breaks after one knock. Buttons are a pain to press

Bottom Line:
Crap

Purchased At:   Some cycle trainer webpage

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Velo 2, Shimano Flight Deck

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 2 (105 component)Kysrium SSC, M540

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Phila PA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    NONE cheaply made...

Weaknesses:    Battery (2) wore out in less that 2 months..

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY IT.... You'll be sorry... Its cheaply made... The cadence wires always come off... The batteries wore out prematurely... Documentation sucks... Etc...etc...

Purchased At:   19.00

Similar Products Used:   Sigma BC401 (great little computer)

Bike Setup:   Garry Fischer...

Submitted by Jan Solar a Weekend Warrior from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    Features, ease of use

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
It has VERY nice set of features, but it's not reliable at all. You need at least 3 sets of batteries for one season, it will reset in wet/muddy conditions. Don't buy it if you want to bike for more than a week.

Purchased At:   CZE

Similar Products Used:   BC 700

Bike Setup:   Z1 + some frame

Submitted by Kevin Hanrahan a Weekend Warrior from NY,NY,USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    Actually works, but only for a short time.

Weaknesses:    I've used the Sigma Sport BC800 (2002 model) and the BC1600 (2003 model), all wireless, in the past year. They work correctly only for little while.
I went on a ride last night using the BC1600 and noticed that it was registering 0 MPH with 0.00 distance traveled.
I initially thought the batter(ies) could be weak, although I'd only used the 1600 for a little more than a month, but after replacing them, it still registered nothing.
I truly believe that their design is completely faulty. I finally traced the problem to the twist-on piece that receives the signal.
I eMailed Sigma via their site to tell them I was pretty pissed off at the prospect of the product failing to work after only 1.5 months, but based upon my last communication with them, where the dummies failed to even read my question, I don't hold out much hope of them resolving anything.
I recommend that everyone find a product other than one manufactured by Sigma Sport.

Bottom Line:
Complete Junk, buy something else.

Purchased At:   Various

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Seacoast, NH

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of functions, dual wheel size

Weaknesses:    Reliability. Reliability. Reliability

Bottom Line:
I have had three of these computers (four if you count the warranty replacement), you would think I would learned my lesson with the first one. The life of these varies from less than 6 months to about a year if you are lucky. Sometimes you can get lucky and revive it with two new batteries, but not always. Buttons stick in 'on' position - this one was replaced FOC by Sigma - the replacement died in 5 months. I since swapped to a BC800 which for $12 from online places is almost disposable! This works well and also has the dual wheel size function.
Avoid the BC1400!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock, Exeter

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Sigma BC800

Bike Setup:   01 Stumpy hardtail and 97 Proflex 857

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    good display, great functionality, wireless upgrade

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
It is important to mention that my BC1400 is different from the one pictured, it is more rectangular and gray. I am not sure if it is newer or older, just different. Anways... after my retention clip for the cheapest Specialized cyclometer broke I decided to look for a new computer rather than replace the part. I came across this thing and immediatelly loved the idea of having a wireless cyclometer. It is really useful on long travel forks, where the cable does some funky twists when you fully compress the shock. As far as the computer is concerned it works wonderfully. The functionality is exceptional and ability to have one computer across two bikes is a huge plus. The only problem I've encountered happened a while back, when I made a switch from clips to clipless pedals. I kept falling all over the place and at one point the computer hit a rock and the top two buttons fell out when the plastic piece on top got loose. I contacted Sigma and they imediatelly offered to replace the computer or to send me replacement buttons. I opted for the buttons first, but it wasn't working the same, so I sent them my computer and a few days later I had a brand new one. Great customer service and now that I'm used to clipless, the computer has been flawless.

Favorite Trail:   a bunch

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   specialized, cateye

Bike Setup:   sweet sweet sweet

Submitted by Markku a Weekend Warrior from Espoo, Finland

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    Trip time can be more than 10 hours.

Weaknesses:    Odometer resets after about 1500 km. Has anybody logged more than 1500 km without a reset?

Bottom Line:
Not reliable. Resets itself for no obvious reason.

Purchased At:   Espoon keskus

Submitted by Dana J. Hartwell a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, ME USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Nice design, and features.

Weaknesses:    Poor qualtily, and durability. I got less than a year out of this computer before the LCD just went blank, and will not power back up despite brand new batteries. Also, the initial setup sucked, and the buttons are too hard to push. BIG waste of money.

Bottom Line:
I really liked the LCD and features this computer offered. It has an elegant style, and was easy to live with when it worked. I would not buy another one unless it was close to being free of charge. I just plain had better luck with my cateye and will be replacing it with something in the cateye line.

Purchased At:   Cyclemania

Similar Products Used:   Cateye1000.

Submitted by DrDan a Weekend Warrior from Oak Hill, VA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    Computer functions, looks.

Weaknesses:    utter lack of durability

Bottom Line:
I liked the features of the computer. However, it does not stand up to any rain, mud, endos, or even little bumps. In two seperate adventure races, where the odometer and distance traveled are KEY, the computer completely blanked out and reset for no apparent reason; I even had to reset the wheel size, right there on the side of the trail. Tried resecurring all attachments, and it happened again after about 3 weeks. Extra money for this sharp looking computer only yielded endless headaches. I will never buy a Sigma Sport again. 1 flamin' turd all around.

Favorite Trail:   Whiteface Mountain, Lake Placid

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 700, Time ATACS

Submitted by Julian Lynch a Racer from Queensland Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good display, simple functions.

Weaknesses:    After going through 2 cheaper model Sigma computers that were faulty I forked out the extra and upgraded to the BC1400. It has a very short battery life. I got less than 12 months from first set of batteries and then had to pay US$15 to replace them.

Bottom Line:
I am going to buy a different brand computer. I think 3 Sigma computers in 18 months is enough. I don't want to waste any more time with Sigma.

Favorite Trail:   Mums

Purchased At:   Rivercity Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Sigma BC800, Cateye Mitty 2, Cateye Cordless

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Road Bike, Merlin XC MTB.

Submitted by robert a Weekend Warrior from Savannah Ga

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Strengths:    It has large easy to read numbers, large easy to push buttons, easy to understand functions.

Weaknesses:    Hard to program the first time, the instruction that come with it are almost impossible to understand.

I use the cordless mount and the stupid rubber bands are worthless. I remounted the bracket and used a steel hose clamp to mount the unit to my front shock and it has performed flawlessly for a year.

The handle bar mount is weak and comes loose soon after mounting even with addition of extra double faced tape. It brakes easily if you crash.

Bottom Line:
I was the first to review this product and it still performs fine, AFTER doing some retrofit to it.

It has performed flawlessly for a year. It has survived crash and burn, rain, salt water, basic abuse.

The battery is still performing fine and I have not had to replace it.

It has survived a few good crashes, but I have had to replace the handle bar mount for the computer twice becuase the little plastic button that holds the computer to the bracket brakes easily.

The retrofit hose clamp with double face tape on the inside stopped all the coming loose and falling off that those stupid rubber bands alowed.

If you mountain bike any trails that cause jaring I would seriously think about coming up with a better mount for your front shocks. Expect to replace the handle bar mount if you crash and burn. Other than that it works fine, and would be great for a street bike.

Sigma really needs to redesign both mounting brackets.

Favorite Trail:   Wine Creek, Augusta Canal, Lick Fork Lake, all in and around Augusta Ga

Similar Products Used:   never tried any

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainer SE, upgraded front and rear rims, rear derailer, crank set, and suspension seat post.

Submitted by Mike from Upstate, NY

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    nice looking, elegant design, very clean lines, good mounting points... I like the rubber bands..

Weaknesses:    durability durability durability durability

Bottom Line:
When I bought this, I had just broken the cord on my Mity3 and was dissolusioned. So I saw the 1400 on Jenson for a good price and got it. I loved the design. I loved the way it mounted to the bike... the rubber bands seemed almost elegant.

I used this for a little over a year before it started to self-destruct. The batteries died first, then the entire computer compartment started to split in two. Next, the control button stopped working. During this entire time, the entire outside case started to corrode.

I was very pleased during the time when it worked.

I was extremely disappointed when it stopped working.

If sigma sport could make a more durable computer, I would buy it.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com