Sigma Sport 1200 Computer

3.36/5 (44 Reviews)

Sigma 1200

Submitted by John Girardi

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything. The unit is held on with rubber O-Rings. They are cheap and break. The directions are horrendous, and the artwork that goes along is even worse. I spent two hours trying to get this to work. I have the wireless model, so far the only thing that works is the clock and temp. Save your money and aggregvation.

Bottom Line:
Terrible. Not worth $10 let alone $39.95. Cheaply made securing system. Directions are terrible. I am going to try and get my money back from Dicks Sporting Goods where I bought this. Will never buy another Sigma Product again. Have a nice day!

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    I guess it would be good - IF I COULD SET ANYTHING.

Weaknesses:    This did not have any kind of manual, and i have no idea how you could change the settings. Mine one has set button on the back, and 2 buttons for changing 'bike'.
Because of I can't change the tire size or anything, this gives me wrong numbers. This one is just 1200, not 1200plus.
Exactly same as the picture, but not the plus.

Bottom Line:
Don't know how to change settings. Tried that hole on the back - still can't change anything Tried every combination of numbers, but only thing i was able to was to change language from english to (?) spanish and back. Cost 25 euros, but as long as i can't do anything, this was waste of money.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Watervliet ny

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use. Easy to read when riding. I liked the size of the unit and thought it was a good looking unit.

Weaknesses:    The tire size chart in the manual was wrong but they provided an updated sheet with the right numbers for the tire sizes. I would have liked a regular on/off switch.

Bottom Line:
For my 1 st wireless bike computer I was impressed with the unit. Would recommend it to the average rider.

Favorite Trail:   Zim Smith Round Lake NY

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Bike Setup:   Setup was easy. It took about 10 minutes to install.

Submitted by mskelly a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO USE IT BECAUSE THE CODE IS WRONG FOR MY BIKE TIRE SIZE. THEREFORE IT GIVES ME WRONG SPEEDS AND AND DISTANCE.

I WOULDN'T BUY IT UNITL THEY GET THAT RIGHT.

Submitted by Brenman2640 a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    Have only owned product for one Day, No comment as of now!

Weaknesses:    Extremely off in mileage

Bottom Line:
The set up manuel say that for Wheel size 700x40c tires, the set up code would be 2224. This is not even close to being correct. Can anyone advise me on how to find the correct set up code or tell me the code. Instruction Book is terrible and there isn't a manuel to explain the operation functions.If it wasn't for a UTube video I wound not even have known how to put the wheel size code in, however it is the wrong code anyway so that did not matter. Please help thanks

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   Edgewood LX

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Marion IA USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Display is easy to read. Unit it simple to install.

Weaknesses:    Instruction manual could be better. The chart for wheel size input is WAY off. Using the chart, my five mile jaunt to the market netted me eight miles.

Bottom Line:
Now that I have the unit properly calibrated I really like it. Easy to read display, lots of information, and easy to operate. Not bad for the price. Buy it if you are a weekend warrior, a commuter, even an avid cyclist. Not suitable for racers and the hardcore.

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   VDO, Ascent, Vetta

Bike Setup:   Trek 930 used for light trail riding and commuting.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Loveland, OH

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to install, easy to program

Weaknesses:    Doesn't read accurately or chart is WAY off

Bottom Line:
Purchased this unit to keep track of my rides, and was shocked after the first night when it said I had gone much further and faster than I had calculated with GPS during the day.

The chart for my tire size says to plug in the value of 2070 for my wheel size, which is the correct number ( 26" X 25.4 X 3.14 = 2073mm ). So, I'm getting a reading that is higher by a factor of 1.67. In other words, if I'm going 10mph, the unit shows me going 16.7mph. If I ride for 1 mile it shows I rode for 1.67 miles.

I ended up mapping out the route I took on GPS again, calculated the correct distance, and reverse engineered the correct wheel size value... and it came to 1239. When I put this number into the computer, it came out measuring my speed and distance correctly, within .1% of my GPS value.

What gives? At first I was thinking I had it in km.hour mode but it's showing output in mph, not km/hr. I find this very odd, since there are 1.6 kilometers in a mile, so the numbers are very close if it was in the wrong mode.

The output when I set the mode is at "M". Any ideas?

Favorite Trail:   Monon in Indianapolis

Purchased At:   Dicks

Bike Setup:   Trek 930 with 26 x 1.75 Bontragers

Submitted by Geoff Duncanson a Cross Country Rider from STRATFORD, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Setup is pretty good, I agree with other reviewers that the instructions could be better translated; but with a simple computer like this one doesn't need to refer to them once you have the basics.

I like the simplicity of the rubber o-rings, granted I'm not thrashing through the woods or careening downhill where they might be alot of harms way but I've never had a problem with them.

I tend to like trail riding in the rain, and these haven't fogged up or quit working.

Weaknesses:    this computer has two buttons, fore and aft of the display area. I sometimes have trouble cycling through the menus to get to the one I want and also resetting the trip time and mileage while I'm riding becuase you have to hold the secondary button in for several seconds to do so. It's probably me, but that's my only complaint.

Bottom Line:
clear large display-shows all the important data in one screen. very reliable, I've used it now for over seven years without a problem. price is low for it's longevity.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Purchased At:   NashBar?

Similar Products Used:   sigma 800, sigma 1600

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain stratos

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior from Spain

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to use - simple to set up - clear and legible under any conditions - no fiddling necessary to pull out all useful functions. A great first unit (so I thought) that will not detract from the pleasure of riding.

Weaknesses:    O-rings to hold the sensor? That's a bit bold (almost lost it on day 1 because of that)

Bottom Line:
This unit could deserve top rating - if only they had thought about another way of holding the sensor. I see some reviewers mentioning they fixed their units with zip ties - and I'd love to understand how since there is no holes drilled-in for that. The o-ring that was provided with mine (42 diameter) broke on the first day of use. Pretty disappointing. Might upgrade that review when I figure out how to mount the sensor safely (if I have not changed product before that).

Favorite Trail:   Anything goes

Purchased At:   Mammoth - Madrid

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 - stock.

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Fort Smith, AR

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    Easy install. Instructions weren't perfect English but close enough. I bought the wireless model - didn't take a lot of fiddling to get things working.

Weaknesses:    Mounts to bike with rubber gasket or rubber-band type things. Looks cheap but does the job & should be easy to replace if necessary.

Bottom Line:
Works for me. Pretty easy to install & callibrate. So far so good . . .

Favorite Trail:   Springhill Park

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Cordless 2

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, Thudbuster seatpost.

Submitted by Abel Lopez a Weekend Warrior from Fontana, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    Simple, Easy to use, full featured computer. The 1600 has two-bike features, but I didn't need them, so the 1200 was the best choice for me.

Weaknesses:    No backlight

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike computer. If you want the most bang for your buck, the 1200 is your best bet.
It's got every feature you need, none you don't

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Louise LABORTE a Cross Country Rider from Surrey Hills - UK

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    Sigma make the most advanced, affordable cycle computers I have ever owned. In the last 20 years I have used Avocet, Cateye, VDO, Specialized, wired and wireless. I was so impressed I have three of them, all RDS wirelss. MTB, Road + 1600 Cadence on my trainer. All are still on the original long life CR2023 cells. I particularly like the dual read out with an indicator tp show if you are + or _ average speed. Great for enduro's or 12 hour races. 2 tyre sizes can be stored for summer + winter. At last the ability to manually set the Total distance of the Odometer (so when the battery does need to be swapped you can punch in your lifetime mileage ... sweeet. No tools required, screwless design is fitted to fork and bars with large O rings

Tip+ Put a small dab of BP petroluem jelly on both terminals of the head unit and you could ride under water. No probs even in the worst driving rain.
Tip* Take the head unit off the bike when not in use which seems to prolong the Cell life. Tip# The EMF from bar mount HID lights interfere with Wireless reciever. Follow these tips and Sigma will NOT let you newbies down. That's a promise ...

Weaknesses:    Buttons can be a bit sticky + fiddly at speed.

Favorite Trail:   labtec@btconnect.com

Purchased At:   Pedalon

Similar Products Used:   Cate eye, VDO, Avocet, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Sworks epic, Fox Fx, Mavic X-max, Conti double fighters

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Tustin, CA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent display, easy to use, good price

Weaknesses:    Handlebar bracket has cracked twice

Bottom Line:
I decided to try out a computer when I bought my new bike and went with the Sigma 1200. As for the computer itself, it has worked flawlessly. I like the display better than the Cateye computers. It's easy to read and moving between modes is no problem. The rubber O-rings that hold the handlebar bracket and the fork sensor have given me no problems at all.

My only problem has been with the handlebar mounting bracket. I like the fact that it's small and has a low profile on the bar, but I've cracked it twice on crashes. I also tore the wire once; it must have snagged on a branch. Each time it broke, however, I was given a free replacement bracket, either by Sigma or REI.

Despite the bracket problems, the computer itself has worked just fine and I've been happy with the product overall.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Alex Tourangeau a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Simple design, good interface, availability of wireless upgrade

Weaknesses:    Strange instruction manual, but well detailed

Bottom Line:
I had been using a Cateye computer on my Rocky Mountain, and I couldn't stand it's strange interface. I picked up this computer after comparing the various models on display (love the display, by the way, with a small wheel mounted. It allows the user to spin the wheel to see how well each function is accessed and displayed by the computer.)

I was also tired of cables getting torn, pulled out, twisted and so forth and sprang for the wireless upgrade kit. I like how the wireless kit integrates, and although I ran into a couple issues during the installation (for a while, I couldn't undertand why the computer would not pick up the signal from my spinning wheel, until out of frustration, I gave the wheel a spin in the opposite direction and the computer registered. I had the wireless received backwards...) Finally got everything mounted correctly (with the wireless receiver mounted facing the front of my fork). And so far, I have found this computer to be very accurate.

I have read a few reviews that indicated that some issues were encountered with rain and humidity, and I can state that I have had no problems so far in this regard. Great computer, with a very straightforward interface and controls.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Pecco's

Similar Products Used:   Numerous computers w/o cadence feature

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper 2004

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Albany, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Price, accuracy, functions, weatherproof

Weaknesses:    Can't store unique data for multiple wheel sizes

Bottom Line:
I actually bought this to replace the failed digital speedometer on my motorcycle. At $23 it was a lot cheaper than the Triumph parts. Contrary to claims by the "experts" at the local bicycle shop, I've found the BC1200 to be accurate up into triple-digit (MPH) speeds (closed course only; professional rider shown; don't try this at home; read your owners manual; don't drink and ride; etc. ;-). Supposedly most bicycle computers aren't accurate above ~40mph or so, but that's not the case with the BC1200.

The unit can be programmed for two wheel sizes, and since I have an extra mounting kit I was hoping that I could easily use it on both my motorcycle and mountain bike. I can, and the BC1200 can store two wheel sizes so switching back and forth takes mere seconds. However, all of the riding data (max speed, avg. speed, trip meter, total odometer, etc.) is shared by both wheel sizes. I was hoping that on Wheel 1 I could keep the running odo total accurate for the motorcycle, while running a unique odo total on Wheel 2 for my bicycle. Alas, it doesn't work this way.

Other than this admittedly obscure problem, it's been great so far.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Aerostich.com

Bike Setup:   Triumph TT600 (motorcycle); Trek 3700

1200 budget 29er hardtail recommendation for my bro in law

He was looking at the GT deals on perf bike. I generally buy used to get better wheels and components. He is a roadie who wants to ride mtn a couple times a month coming off a 10 year old bike. I was looking at some used stumpjumpers etc but wanted input from the group. Let me know thanksRead More »

First look at the $1200 Specialized Carbon 29er Wheels.

I even made a video!!! [url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/specialized-control-29-carbon-wheels-for-1200]2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review[/url] fcRead More »

Geigerrig 1200 Hydration Pack - $70 Black Friday

[url=http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Geigerrig-Rig-1200-Hydration-Pack-in-Black/6836615/product.html]Geigerrig Rig 1200 Hydration Pack in Black | Overstock.com[/url] I have one of these and they rock, but are spendy. Saw this on Overstock and thought I'd share with my fellow riders in case ... Read More »

1000, 1200, 1800 lumen for the same lights. Noob ?

Looking at getting a couple of the china magic shine knockoff single Cree xlm T6 lights. But seeing what looks like the exact same light with different ratings from different vendors. Is there any difference in these or is it just bs? Wanting to order from a vendor that ships form inside the US an ... Read More »

Taz 1200 or Lezyne Mega drive

I need a new light for the one 24 hour race I do each year. I want a cordless light because most of the year the light will serve as a commuter light. Any thoughts on which light is best?Read More »