Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Cyclocomputer Computer

3.72/5 (64 Reviews)

4 line, easyTo read MacroMonitor™ LCD display gives upTo 5 pieces of data at a glance Mode changing made easy, pushThe computer forward inThe spring-loaded bracket.The computer isThe button! Buttonless design allows maximum data in a minimally sized computer. Auto start-stop and LCD shut off Heavy duty, oversized wire harness and ultrasonically welded case ensure a durable, weatherproof, waterproof unit Wired Sensor FUNCTIONS: Current speed Average speed

Submitted by carl

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    easy to use, cost effective, easy to read, just enough info to make it interesting

Weaknesses:    calibration issues? push buttons on underside can be hard to manipulate

Bottom Line:
Have 2 for 2 different bikes. GPS app. was dead-on when cyclocomputer was on mountain bike when riding on road. Switched to road bike and GPS and cyclocomputer not matching anymore. I change # for wheel size and can't get a match. maybe not so accurate for 700c wheels?!?

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to Read and to select info. Easy, even for the mechanically challenged, to install.

Weaknesses:    Actuall fits almost TOO snugly in its bracket. I'm a little nervous about removing it to change wh. circumf. setting, extr. hard to remove-altho the instructions say you "won't break it", I'm still somewhat hesitant, as I'll be changing tire size.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good.

Submitted by heyyall

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to read, shows all the relevant data at a glance

Bottom Line:
After years of riding my mountain bike without a computer, I needed to get one for leading scouts during cycling merit badge rides. I was tempted to go wireless with hopes that I would have less trouble with mounting and dealing with the front shock, but then common sense got the best of me and I went with wired 9.0. I am so happy that I did. The simplicity of its use is great. Just start pedaling and it turns on.

I absolutely love the large screen. My road bike as the version 8.0 (no temperature readout), so I knew what I was getting in to. The model 9.0 adds temperature. Some people have had some issues with inaccurate temperatures. I can see how this could happen, but I haven't had it. I had gone cycling when the temperature read 20 degrees, so that as fun to see.

The accuracy is excellent. I recently went on a 50 mile rails-to-trails ride with marked miles. The computer was spot on for the miles. Some of this is a function of the calibration of wheel sizes, but this is as simple as doing the roll out test. I had to do this anyway since the instructions didn't have a size for a 29er.

All and all, this is a highly recommend cycling computer.

Submitted by JohnDriz a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to Read, Easy to Use, Durable, Accurate

Bottom Line:
Should you really be focusing on your computer or the road? The correct answer seems pretty obvious. Everything I want to know appears on one screen in large easy to read print without having to waste time or focus on clicking buttons to confirm my performance during a ride.
-Mph current and average? check
-Am I going faster or slower than my average speed? check
-Distance? check
-General time and Ride Time? check
-Bonus'? Temperature, total odomoter, easy to reset.
The only thing it doesn't have is cadence. But I would rather focus on how my body feels and performs in various conditions and adjust my gearing and pedal power accordingly. I use this computer on my cyclocross bike, and mountain bike while riding and training, with 1,200 on my cyclocross bike and now 250 mile on my mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Jumbo Saddle to Woods Gulch

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, Fuji Cross Pro, Fuji Palisade

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from Perris CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    Screen size, features, wheel and fork mounting, accuracy

Weaknesses:    Bar mount only. Magnet may not fit on all spokes--barely fit on I9 alloy spokes.

Bottom Line:
After a nightmare with wireless picking up other wireless interference from hot spots and even portable RF scanners at the shop/warehouse, reading up to 80MPH, I decided to go wired again.

Ah... wired computers are so nice. No need to start it up, as it starts automatically once your wheel starts moving. It also records movement at under 5 mph, in case you're pushing your bike up a hill. Temperature is handy. The "button" is a neat feature too. Looks neat and sharp altogether.

Max tire size is sufficient enough to handle my 29er wheel with 2.2 tires, which was a circumference of 2310mm I believe.

I'm tempted to buy another one for my other bike.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Similar Products Used:   db4LW wireless

Submitted by scotawful a Weekend Warrior from OC, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Great computer. Multi-line display shows 5 data points at once, which is very convenient. Love the thermometer, but loses accuracy in direct sunlight. Push-button feature is pretty nifty

Weaknesses:    Solid little computer, but limited max tire size. Need to mentally add distance when using my super big nobbies.

Bottom Line:
Love this computer. I keep the thermometer setting on all the time cause I love to know what the temp is. The multi-line display is good size and very easy to read. Glance down and see the 4 or 5 major data points I need to see without having to change modes. But, changing modes is super easy: just push the computer up in the clip/holster, which is a genius little design feature. Overall, nice job from the guys at Planet Bike. Oh, forgot to note: I have the wired version, so of course no data transmission issues.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Trails

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro. VDO C3 (crap)

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX that thinks its a speedy light XC machine instead of the AM brute that it really is.

Submitted by donu a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    Mounts very securely.

Weaknesses:    Won't work on Surly Larry tire. No matter how high I set the wheel size, it reports about 93% of the actual distance.

Bottom Line:
Might be fine for most bikes, but not for a fat bike.

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Surly Pugsley, Larry front tire

Submitted by trkyshootr a Weekend Warrior from Tuscaloosa, AL

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Big screen.
Easily readable.
Multiple functions displayed at once.
Quick and easy set up.

Weaknesses:    Compared to my old Cateye Enduro 8, I really can't think of any - oh, I can't get it in black.

Bottom Line:
My Cateye was just fine. However, one too many endos with my bars into the ground and the Enduro 8 no longer works. I replaced it with this Planet Bike model, and am very pleased.

Starting with the easy setup, this Protege proved itself. Once on the bike, its large screen with multiple functions is appreciated. A push or two of the unit and the functions are completely cycled through.

It is easy to setup, easy to use, and easy to read.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro 8

Submitted by superiman a Weekend Warrior from B'ham, AL

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    All of the things that I want want to see on one screen.

Weaknesses:    None really, the wheel sensor seems heavy.

Bottom Line:
I really like the computer, it has the info that I want to see all on one screen. And I like to know the temp. Some reviews said that it was fell off bike but it seems very secure on trail.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Similar Products Used:   old Cateye

Bike Setup:   '08 fisher HiFi 29

Submitted by Lloyd Kerr a Weekend Warrior from Blue Grass, IA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to install and calibrate. Dispaly is large and easy to read. Push unit up to change screens. Accurate in all except mine reads 1-2 degrees warm on the temp.

Weaknesses:    I haven't seen any weakness yet

Bottom Line:
I am really happy with this computer. It's the most accurate on speed and distance compared to the other three computers I've had. I don't really care about the temp reading a little warm.
I've put approximately 700 miles on the bike since adding the protege 9.0 and have not experienced any problems or intermittent glitches. I ride mainly on bike paths so I don't punish the computer. I have been off road a few times and the computer stays in it's mount even when the going gets bumpy. I love being able to push the unit up in its cradle to change the screens. No tiny buttons to push.
I just orderd another one to mount on my wife's Diamondback. I don't know who or shouldn't buy the Protege but it sure was a lucky find for me.

Similar Products Used:   This is the fourth computer I've purchased. I've had one cheaper and two more expensive.

Bike Setup:   Just an off the shelf Diamondback Wildwood DLX. The only mods are the accessories I've installed, otherwise stock. 26x1.95 tires.

Submitted by nikonbiker a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2010

Strengths:    I like the display and easy reset.

Weaknesses:    I have lost three of these - they won't stay on the mount through bumps.

Bottom Line:
Great if you never go over a bump.

Submitted by G Money a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte Nc

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    great display, love the temp,can rest mileage easy to set up can be transfered to another bike

Weaknesses:    easy to zero out the current mileage and the max speed sometimes shows the incorrect speed

Bottom Line:
I love this computer I have not had any problems except for the max speed display the temp gauge is reasonably acurate If you need a computer for a good price this just may be the one rain or shine street or dirt I have done it all with this unit

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   sigma 9 wire multiple cateye units

Bike Setup:   K2 Disco monkey

Submitted by dan0 a Cross Country Rider from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    no buttons, all in one screen

Weaknesses:    temp gauge not so accurate

Bottom Line:
great computer for the money, never any issues, dont really ride in the rain, but got caught a couple of times but no problems (stream crossings? are you kidding me? what do you drag your bike behind you? the computer is 3' off the ground) as far as the poeple whos keep falling off and cutting out, they have the clamp too tight, if you overtighten the clamp it starts curving to match the bars and wont clip in properly and the contacts dont fully contact

Favorite Trail:   meat grinder