Performance Axiom 8.0C Computer

3.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Performance Axiom 8.0C

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Danbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2004

Strengths:    Can set starting odometer mileage. Don't have to start at zero.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes freezes up display when resetting ride info. Very annoying. Then you have to reset the whole thing and lose your total mileage. Caused me to finally trade in for Cateye Astrale. But I see Performance has a new model of 8.0C. Hopefully it doesn't have the freeze up bug.

Bottom Line:
Finally drove me nuts with freeze up. Traded in for Astrale. I have used Cateye products with zero problems in the past. I look forward to that with the Astrale.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Daryl Baker a Racer from Morrisville, NC

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    **Accurate speed, distance, time, and cadence measurements
-Easy to read and use both during an event and in training
-Calculated average speed -
-Elapsed time calculates only ride time - not stoplight delays during training sessions in traffic

Weaknesses:    -The cadence magnet slips, have to tape it in place, the tape has to be replaced every so often
-That .5 MPH speedometer increment, especially during a race, it's those tenths that I need to know (a little frustrating)
- A suggestion: It would be nice to have an optional display setting of all six main parameters at once (MPH, AVS, MXS, ATM, DST, cadence) so you didn't have to worry about pressing the button to cycle through them, and could concentrate on riding the bike, not computer settings.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with it for the price and for the functions it provides, it performs the designed-in features well. Riding in triathlon events, it allows me to accurately set goals for different stages of the race (uphills, flats, downhills, ETA to distance, etc), and to monitor my performance. My information off the computer pretty much nails my final clocked elapsed time performance for my race. I know accurately where I'm at on the course, and that the information is reliable, (nothing like the surprise of thinking you're one mile out and beginning to prepare your legs for the run, only to find it was really 2.5 miles), and can confidently tell within seconds of my training plan when I'll hit the transition area. That's what I wanted it to do, and it does it.

Favorite Trail:   RTP after 7 when traffic is lighter

Purchased At:   Performance of Carrboro

Similar Products Used:   I had a Peugeot bike with a built-in stem computer, originally purchase about 20 years ago in France for touring Europe

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR3

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    works when you get the danged magnet spacing right

Weaknesses:    Makes you think your're going fast when it's raining
Tough to mount on Specialized Crosscounty Pedals. Ended up using ford 601 tractor hood bushings to get it close enough.

Bottom Line:
Buy a cateye. Bigger display, better quality - not so much button pushing

Favorite Trail:   paved ones

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astrale

Submitted by Rico a Cross Country Rider from Angwin, CA 94508

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    This review is actually for the Axiom 8.0. Large display is easy to read. Hasn't malfunctioned in any way. Accurate clock. Weatherproof this far.

Weaknesses:    Plastic lense got scratched by a rock.

Bottom Line:
I'm really satisfied with this computer after going through a slew of Avocets. I like the fact that I can set the clock and 6 months later it is still spot on. The battery has lasted a long time too, more than 1.5 years. Other than a couple occasions when riding in heavy rain, it has never had an inaccurate reading. The rain made it occassionally show a speed like 148.5 mph, but after I dried the contacts on the mount out it went back to functioning normally.

Favorite Trail:   Palisades

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Avocet models (horrible, the clock would get off about 1 minute per week.)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz

Submitted by Mick Andrus a Weekend Warrior from Lexington, SC USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    Simple wiring setup, large easy to see numbers.

Weaknesses:    Tricky calibration for 700x23 tires, magnet placement must be very close.

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with this computer until last weekend when it simply stopped giving a speed reading. The cadence continued to work and it also continued to measure miles but the speed simply stopped.

I took it apart both on the road and at home, looking for poor contacts and broken wires and could find nothing wrong. It just stopped working. Amazing.

I pulled my old Trek (Vetta?) computer out of my junk box and I'll use it until I get some spare cash for a new Vetta.

Favorite Trail:   The hill route

Bike Setup:   Giant CFR

Submitted by Alf a Cross Country Rider from Green River, Wyoming

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to use, cadence, so far it's been bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel sensor is not usable without some modification to get it closer to the wheel. I ended up drilling a small hole in the flange of the hub and mounting the magnet to the hub rather than the spokes.

Bottom Line:
Great product. Trouble free except for a cut sensor wire.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 4000 with XT Mega 9 drivetrain, Rolf Propels.

Submitted by Paul from Santa Rosa, California

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    Ideal for use on trainers (rear wheel).
Easy to calibrate and install (good handlebar mount).
cheap (on sale)
single wire for rear wheel & cadence

Weaknesses:    .5 increment readings - not a big deal, since average speed is to 0.1

Bottom Line:
I bought this because it has a long wire for rear wheel and I put it on second bike for use on trainer during winter.
It's easy to install (I used extra zip ties for cable routing) because cadence and computer both use a single wire.

I tested it on the road with my regular Sigma 1200 reading the front wheel and the Axiom 8C on the back.
The readings were accurate to better than one-quarter mile per 100 miles, which is pretty good since I have different tires front and back.

Cadence magnets are always a problem (unless you use Campy pedals), this was easier to install than most because the zip ties are easy to pull tight.
It's great value.
I don't expect the sensors to be any more or less waterproof than anything else I've tried. At the price, it's outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   Wine country roads

Purchased At:   Performance store

Similar Products Used:   Sigma 1100, Sigma 1200, Specialized, Cats Eye, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Twister a Downhiller from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    It has good size buttons, you can set the odm, and it's practically idiot proof.(that works for me)

Weaknesses:    Doesn't go out far enough to connect with the manget

Bottom Line:
I like this speedometer. It's easy to use. I've had it 3 months, and I love it. It works just great for me. If you're like me and don't really care about .2 mph's and just want to downhill, it works good. Also, it's good for as cheep as it is

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap, and anything else

Similar Products Used:   Cats eye

Bike Setup:   Stock FSR

Submitted by TR a Weekend Warrior from Des Moines,IA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Rugged cabling and sensors, pretty nice display. Nice computer mount, with the computer clicking easily into place and not losing connection with the contacts (except in moderate to heavy rain.) Reliable, except in rain.

Weaknesses:    Lots of cable ties. Speed sensor is a long way from the spokes. Odd cadence sensor mount, with spacer. _Not_ waterproof. (I have not found one that is, truly). MPH reads in .5 increments.

Bottom Line:
This is a good but not great product. It has been reliable so far, in dry weather. The course .5 MPH reading was an annoying surprise.