Performance Axiom 5.0 Cyclocomputer Computer

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Roseville, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Simple to use. Good price. Waterproof (but not put to the test yet). Positive-capture computer mounting so there is no danger of the main unit falling out.

Weaknesses:    The sensor mounting on the front fork is a bit questionable. It uses cable ties to hold it in place. Because the forks are tapered downward toward the hub, and because the cable ties are plastic (which does not grip the enamel paint on the fork), they tend to slide down over several days of bumpy riding. This means the sensor comes out of place with will not work. There are two little rubber pads on the back to prevent this, but they are not very effective. The unit comes with two rubber strips which are intended as shims for mounting the main unit to the handelbar. I used one of them as a shim under the cable ties, and this has solved the problem for now.

The spacing form the magnet to the sensor is small: 2 mm. It was tricky getting the spacing just right. Too far away and the sensor gave erratic readings. I might eventually replace the magnet with a more powerful button type, as suggested by Sheldon Brown. For now, it's working OK.

Bottom Line:
For the price, I'm happy with this unit and its basic functions. I am not a mega-mile rider; I don't need a cadence function. I don't see the need for average speed and similar functions, because I can calculate average speed from trip odometer and trip time. I don't need two independent trip odometer features. (I think that if I could afford two bikes, I could also afford two cyclometers! Forget swapping one back and forth.) So this product is perfect for my needs.

I analyzed the trip odometer accuracy extensively. I calculated the number of rotations my tire should make for a distance of one-tenth mile and then spun the tire while watching the hundredths reading on the odometer. I found that the number of revolutions varied from test to test, although the average over about 5 tests was essentially correct. I then tried the same thing for 1/4 mile, which should require 196 revolutions. The correlation was better than for the 0.01 mile trial, but still there was about a 4% variation from test to test. For 0.5 mile, the odometer reading matched the counted revolutions very well. My conclusion is that although the trip odometer has a display resolution of 0.01 mile, it is really accurate only to about 0.5 mile. Over a multi-mile trip, it seems quite accurate.

Were the sensor mounting better, I'd give this unit a rating of 5. But the bottom line is that you might need to give it some TLC to get it positioned and stable. Other than that, this is a good unit.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bell 4-function. That one gave inconsistent trip odometer readings, depending on my road speed. I returned it to the vendor.

Submitted by Jayson a Cross Country Rider from Chehalis

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    Works great, Auto start, simple one button operation

Bottom Line:
This is a simple well made computer , 4 years and the battery still works, is very accurate and takes a beating!!!

Buy one