Performance 8.0 EL Computer

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Performance 8.0 EL

Submitted by Kenneth a Weekend Warrior from Denton, NE

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    -Backlight!
-1/2 price of other computers with backlights
-Easy to use buttons; (nice easy to find at night white button for the light)

Weaknesses:    -Had it once give me bad readings. I fixed it by just taking it off the mount and putting it back on. Must have not been making good contact with the sensor.

Bottom Line:
It's a 8.0 with a backlight. It's great for riding the local (ex-rail line) trails and roads at night. It only cost about half the only other backlit computer available that I could find at the time. It has max speed, average speed, distance, ride time and odometer. All the stuff I would ever need. I have had only one problem once with it giving me odd readings like that I was going 40-100 mph but I just took it off the mount and put it back on. after that it worked fine. Too bad it's no longer available.

Favorite Trail:   gravel roads

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Cheap walmart computer

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone CB-1

Submitted by Todd Brown a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    Performance 100% replacement guarentee

Weaknesses:    the fact that it was made.....

Bottom Line:
See my earlier review of this product.

Well the replacement computer gave out too after a few months. I got a Axiom 8.0 for my wife and it too had to be replaced after a few months. So, the bottom line is IMHO these computers suck. Good features, good price, but the quality... I wrote them a letter explaining that I was not interested in putting another Axiom back on by bike. Three bad computers out of four is enough for me. They sent me a Cateye Enduro 2 free of charge.

Ill give it an OK overall rating because of Performance customer service.

Once again....Right on Performance. But you need to find better manufacturers for your "Performance" products. I saw the same computer in my LBS, I think it is made by Vetta or Vello.....

Favorite Trail:   the onweIm on

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye, Vetta

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Todd Ourston a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo, Calif.

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to operate, easy to read, has effective back lighting. Clips in snugly and won't bounce loose on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Stopped working properly after one ride. Wiring is a little flimsy for off-road use.

Bottom Line:
I loved it on the first ride. On the second ride, it started saying I was going 119.5 or 148.5 mph whenever I went slower than 5 miles per hour. I cam back with a reading of 460.5 as my maximum speed, but I am sure I never got over 300 mph, even on the fire roads.

I tried to get technical support, but the technician said he had no idea what was wrong and sent me to customer service. Customer service says the product has been discontinued and is out of stock, but it is still for sale for $24.99 on their website. Now, I need to order it again on the web then send back the defective unit and ask them to reimburse the shipping cost on the replacement unit. I'm just hoping the new unit lasts more than two rides. I have little hope for smooth relations with Performance's customer service: every order seems to turn into a real hassle.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Canyon (Los Padres N.F.)

Similar Products Used:   Cateye and Vetta products

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element T.O. with 8-speed plasma shifters and WTB New Paradigm wheelset. (Otherwise, stock.)

Submitted by Todd Brown a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1999

Strengths:
Lighted display

Weaknesses:
Kind of crappy mount

Bottom Line:
Performance has really come through on this one. I got it for around $30.00. It has everything in it that I need. I really wanted one that was backlit, and this was less then half the price of any other manufacturer. After owning it for about 3 months I noticed that the mount had busted and the computer was gone. Lost forever on the trail. I sent the broken mount back to Performance and reminded them of their 100% guarentee on ALL products. In a few weeks I recieved a new computer. Right On Performance. Their customer service is grreat and they stand behind their guarentee.

6 months

NA

Hardtail Gary Fisher

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood WA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
The backlighting!

Weaknesses:
None, so far.

Bottom Line:
This one has all the basics that you need, dist., odo, max speed, avg. speed, and time. But it is the backlighting that makes this one stand out. At $32.99 it is half the price of the 2 other lighted computers out there! If you like to ride at night then you have probibly missed looking at you computer. Well worry no more. This thing is lighted like a Timex Indigo watch. I think they call it electroluminance. Anyway, when you press the button the screen turns a sky blue and allows you to read the lcd display for 8 seconds before going dark. This one is a real winner.

less than 1 month

Enduro 2

K2 Full Suspension

Submitted by Art a Cross-Country Rider from Adirondack Mnts., N.Y.

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
IT WORKS! OH, HAPPY JOY!!

Bottom Line:
I got this one from Performance Bicycle after I sent back the crappy 8.0W model that I had bought from them. It was a little cheaper too: $28.99 vs. $39.99. They paid the shipping on this one. It's got all the features that the 8.0W has, plus it has the backlight. The display is easy to read. It works fine and no more probs with the screwy max speed readings that I was getting with the 8.0W. So now I know that I went 31.5 mph on one of my favorite downhills yesterday, and it freaked me out !! I just gotta hope I don't yank the wire out someday, but at least it functions as it should. Also, great quick release on the handlebars, which some of the other brands don't have. I'll give it 4.5, -.5 'cause I gotta have something to gripe about!

less than 1 month

Performance 8.0 W, Trek Sensor.

C'Dale SV 900