Nashbar Wireless Computer Computer

2.91/5 (23 Reviews)

Nashbar Wireless Computer

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Easy install, battery life, features, price

Weaknesses:    No auto-on

Bottom Line:
Great computer for the price, was about half of comparable others. Batteries have been going for 2 years now without trouble, though i don't bring it every single time I ride.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   A few wired speedometers, all wires broke.

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed V w/ stx-rc, Airborne Lucky Strike w/ all XT and Judy SL

Submitted by Alex Bikerguy a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    I thought wireless will be the one but alas - none

Weaknesses:    died within a year
but even before that showed some strange numbers like my 90m/h speed ;)

Bottom Line:
crappy

Bike Setup:   cannondale R-300

Submitted by Zuke a Cross Country Rider from Los Osos, CA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Strengths:    All the basic features you need. Cordless! Inexpensive! Survived many crashed during the year it worked. Great product support from Nashbar.

Weaknesses:    Died after a year. Tactile clicks on the buttons would be a nice ergo feature.

Bottom Line:
This was a nice, compact computer w/all the essential features you need from a bike computer. The installation was easy, sturdy, and didn't look too bulky (unlike the Sigmas) - it survived many, many crashes. The cordless feature is sweet, as my bike is cluttered enough with all the cables running all around without having to add one more for a computer. And then add a lighting system for winter/night riding and it's wiring mayhem! Unfortunately, it gave up the fight after about a year of heavy use. I don't know if this is typical. The computer itself still had a working display, so I think it was the fork-mounted transmitter that actually died. Nashbar gave me a full refund, no questions asked, even after I had been using it for a year and it had scratches it! Great customer service will have me looking at their future offerings!

Favorite Trail:   Montana de Oro - Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Micro, Cateye Cordless2.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Expert: XT shifters, XTR/LX derailleurs, Hayes hydraulic discs, Manitou X-Vert front shock, Fox Vanilla-R coil-over.

Submitted by scott elly a Cross Country Rider from belmont,nc,28012

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    worked well new,mount over stem was nice left room for mounting of lights.

Weaknesses:    stopped working after about 8 months.

Bottom Line:
was a nice computer while it worked.just sent back to nashbar and they were out so nashbar sent me my money back after 8 months use no questions asked.because of great customer service will give this computer another try when back in stock.

Favorite Trail:   beech springs mountain

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   none first computer

Bike Setup:   Gt i-drive

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from Mi

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    cheap

Bottom Line:
Its cheap. You get what you pay for. Stopped wroking after 2 months due to poor circuitry. THere are much better computers out there for not much more.

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Clearwater, FL U.S.A

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    -cheap price
-wireless

Weaknesses:    -very temperamental
-circuitry is not very good

Bottom Line:
This product worked fairly good when I first used it, however, time would prove differently. It for no reason at all will switch MPH either high (sometimes has read as high as 60+) or too low when I know I am traveling between 12-16 MPH. Another problem that I have experienced is that if you sweat at all when you ride, you better do something to seal the base because I had the computer go out several times from what I must assume was a little bit of sweat that must have dripped on the computer. In all honest, the Bell purchased at Wal-Mart performed much better, the only problem was that it wasn't wireless. I would recommend that you should spend a little more money and get a quality wireless computer that will last a lot longer than the Nashbar unit.

Similar Products Used:   cheap Bell unit from Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Avalanche 2.0

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    CHEAP
Works
wireless

Weaknesses:    Too big
mount is wacky

Bottom Line:
THis computer is good for the price. I have not experienced any difficulties at all. My only complaint is that it does not have an auto on feature and that the mount is very strange. It is designed to go over the stem which is not possible with many stems and, frankly. not the best place to mount a computer. However, it does mount nicely over the right side of the bar, allowing you to access functions without having to take your hand off the bar.

Purchased At:   NASHBAR

Similar Products Used:   vetta
cateye

Submitted by BB a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, wireless.

Weaknesses:    It stinks. Literally.

Bottom Line:
On opening the box, an intense rubber smell hit me in the face. Handling the computer left a rubber smell on my hands. After letting it air out for 2 days, the odor was still present and intense. It still reeks.

As for how it performed, who knows? I can't get past the smell, and I refuse to put this stinker on my bike!

Favorite Trail:   A road with little or no cars

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 35, Cateye Astrale, Trek cheapo computer

Bike Setup:   Doesn't really matter for this review.

Submitted by Angry Bill a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, wireless

Weaknesses:    In the cold (less than 15 degrees f) display reads 4 mph sometimes. On the road racing bike, the transmitter/receiver distance is a problem (they must be close)

Bottom Line:
Not a bad deal. I've used mine on the MTB bike going on 1 year, right thru the winter (some below zero days), the rain and all. It still works and I consider it a good value thus far. I'm getting a third one for my new mountian bike. 5 chili's for value 'cause you can't compete with the price and 4 chili's for overall because of the speed reading oddity in the very cold weather.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   No wireless, snapped a lot of wires and reed switches in my day thou.

Bike Setup:   Full suspension MTB bike and mid 80's era road racing bike.

Submitted by aaron a Cross Country Rider from columbus ohio

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Strengths:    cheap 'asan old 10spd at the salvation army,
large graphics, every function you need, accurate speed display

Weaknesses:    size

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with my vetta c-10 on my road bike but i was at Meijer and they had a computer that I could tell was the nashbar wireless with tour & trail printed on it instead of nashbar ( i may take it off with some alcohol anyway) but any way it was $20 compared to $30 plus shipping, plus tax, since nashbar and I are both in ohio(which sucks)
the mount looks decent and since the display twists on I don't think i'll knock it off. being wireless it looks clean, and i 'spose it'll be mo' aerodynamic.
people wine about the mounts breaking when they crash and it's called failure engineering, with 170 lbs falling on a computer it's going to break if it doesn't move. try making the mount loose so it will stay still but if knocked hard it will move and they won't break. the same with brake and shift levers. I'd rather have to re-adjust them after every crash than to have them break and have to ride back without what ever broke and screw my day of riding.

Favorite Trail:   urban concrete and steps with slicks on my Klein

Similar Products Used:   vetta c-10

Bike Setup:   97 klein mantra comp/ 8? trek 1400

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    wireless, cheap

Weaknesses:    the whole thing is huge, the way it is designed it had to be mounted on the left side of my handelbar, not water proof

Bottom Line:
This was a pretty good computer. I like the fact that is was wireless, and it worked well for a while. The thing kept resetting since all you have to do is press one button. On my last ride about 1 week ago, it was working fine, through the mud I must add. The only thing was that after it started raining, I looked down to see how far I had gone and it was shut off. Then when I looked closer I relized there was water under the screen cover and the unit would not turn on. This is a good computer to buy, but if you have to ride in the rain, be careful. Nashbar is willing to replace it free of charge so I give a three. Minus 3 for all the problem I stated but plus one for customer service.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye enduro

Submitted by Lee J a Cross Country Rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Strengths:    Wireless, cheap

Weaknesses:    Mine stopped working, big & ugly transmitter strapped to your fork leg.

Bottom Line:
This thing was fine for the first month or so, but then stopped working on the bike. I couldn't get the thing to receive a constant signal. Thought it might be the batt- so I replaced it, no help. Still only worked every now and then. So I took it off, and it's collecting dust. I've put my old Trek computer (from a previous bike I sold last year) back on it, and it works fine. I should have just done that in the first place, but I didn't want a wire running up the leg of my z-2 bam, distracting from that fine forks beauty. Also, even though I had the rubber shims under the handle bar mount, it still managed to vibrate and scratch my CT-2 bar. That pissed me off.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Similar Products Used:   Trek computer- my friend has an avocet

Bike Setup:   Alum HT, z-2 BAm fork

Submitted by Rich Clark a Weekend Warrior from Ridley Park, PA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap. Accurate. Wireless.

Weaknesses:
None that matter. Best to calibrate it by doing a sitting rollout on your bike.

Bottom Line:
Our samples are not what's shown in the picture; they are oval, with a yellow button on the left and a red one on the right. The comp locks into the mount and can't come loose by accident. We've been very pleased with the reliability and functionality after about 300 miles' use, and since these are the cheapest wireless comps available (afaik), that's all we could ask.

3 months

Trek 7300 (hybrid) and Raleigh M60 (hardtail)

Submitted by Jake a Cross-Country Rider from Longisland

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
It's inexpensive, it works.

Weaknesses:
The unit is kind of big. The bracket looks like its intended to mount the receiver/display unit over the stem attachment, but if your stem has a bolt on top, like mine, this won't work and the unit can slap against the handlebars over bumps. I fixed this with a piece of double sided foam tape.

Bottom Line:
First off, the picture above is not the current version offered by nashbar, and I think that many of the negative reviews below relate to the older version. The newer version is more oval than round and sort of screws into the mounting bracket, so it would be very difficult for this to pop loose in a crash or roll away if it did (as mentioned in other reviews). Setup is easy, and the thing works. I've had it for about 2 months and 250 miles with plenty of crashes and it's none the worse for wear and has never popped out of the mounting bracket. I used it during the XC race at Mt. Snow. It was a complete downpour during the race, and the thing worked throughout. The display is big and easy to read, my only complaint is there's no backlight for evening/night riding. Overall, it works, it's wireless, and so far has stood up to hard trail riding.

3 months

FSR XC Comp, mostly stock.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1999

Strengths:
NONE

Weaknesses:
Stops working just for the hell of it along the way, Doesnt work in the rain(cant even work if it gets wet), inaccurate,

Bottom Line:
it is unreliable and not worth it.

6 months

touring bike

Anyone use the new Cateye Micro wireless computer?

I have the old model MC100W on my Bianchi road bike, and many friends have the same, it has been a great computer. The new one looks quite a bit different though. New: [url=http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-MC200W/]CC-MC200W | CATEYE[/url] Old: [url=http://www.cateye.com/en/prod ... Read More »

light interference with wireless computer?

My riding buddy let me borrow one of his new cheap wonder lights from China for a downhill section of trail. I put it on my handlebar and finished the decent. Light is nice. Bright and great beam spread. After I reluctantly gave the light back I checked my mileage and I was missing a few miles. ... Read More »

Looking for a wireless computer

I really only have one main criteria, a long range from the wheel sensor to the computer. This is going on a bob stroller, so odometer is really the only function needed. I was able to mount a cateye micro wireless but it just didn't quite have the oomph to get to the handlebars on the stroller. ... Read More »

anybody know what model Bell wireless bike computer I have?

I have a used Bell wireless bike computer, but I don't have the owner's manual. I took some pictures of the computer itself, as well as the magnet and sensor for the front wheel. Could someone tell me the model Bell computer I have? Or, could someone point me to the right direction, as to figurin ... Read More »

Found wireless computer Moon Lake

Found today 6/4/11 Wireless computer just after the water crossing in the Damp trail Looks like it says Sun Ding? Wireless 549C Black in color Still in great working order. Let me know if it's yours. ChuckRead More »