Echowell J12 Computer

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

J12

Submitted by Omar Peplow from Curitiba - Brasil

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2006

Strengths:    Parece ótimo. Comprei esta semana, ainda vou testar.

Weaknesses:    Dizem que não tem décimos de Km/h. E da dificuldade para instalação. Vou verificar, depois posto aqui.

Bottom Line:
Ainda não sei

Similar Products Used:   Cateyer velo 8

Submitted by Mauricio Esteez a Cross Country Rider from São Paulo, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Strengths:    Very affordable, all the standart features, water resistant, fast response (not like Specialized crap )

Weaknesses:    Can't set mileage when reseting or switching the batteries on unit

Bottom Line:
100% satisfied. Have one for more than three years and never had a problem. I got previous Specialized Comp and had to quit because after two hours of sun exposure the screen got black, making it impossible to read the data. I believe it has no weaknesses comparing with same level Cateye units.

Purchased At:   Local Distributor

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro, '01 Specialized Comp

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000

Submitted by Tom L. a Cross Country Rider from Waterford MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Absolutely bulletproof in 7 years of use. Been through numerous rain showers, washing machine 3 times and tons of gritty off road abuse with no problems. Still working like a charm and it's only used 3 batteries too.

Has cadence and all needed high-end features.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is that after riding in enough rain it will start going wacky. It's the interface between the computer and the mount. When water gets in there it doesn't work so good. Wrapping computer and mount in plastic bag with rubber bands will prevent this problem. Water NEVER gets in the computer itself.

Bottom Line:
I think that this actual model is discontinued now. I'm going to try one of their newer ones though.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Cateye computers.

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Bojan a Racer from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely durable set up and design, not afraid of water dirt or crashing. A no nonsense computer made for MTB.
Displays cadence and speed as well as one other function.
Good value for money.
Has distance measure accurate to 10m

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have tenths of kph accuracy

Bottom Line:
When I was looking for a new computer, cadence was a must. I also wanted it to have reasonably quick data update so you dont brake to a halt and your speedo shows it seconds after like my old computer. Having had problems with reliability too, I wanted a no bull computer that would do the job no matter what I put it through and still ask for more. Last thing I wanted was that speed shown is accurate to tenths of a kph and that is the only one of my demands that it doesn't meet. I visited their site and was more than convinced to get it though. You can clearly see that they make their computers as a tough no nonsense MTB information tool and not as some gimmick like most others.

Having used it in this time it has been faultless. One time I forgot to remove it when I was hosing the bike down, no problem. It has not had a single glitch so far and I ride and race in rain hail or shine (its winter down here now). The mount is also bombproof as it has a little locking unit (one of the small things that speaks volumes about its durability) so it is impossible to accidentally knock it out and that has happened to me before too.

Overall only Sigma 800 also had features and reviews I wanted (that one had no tenths kph either though), but Echo make a point of their durability and rightfully so. At equivalent $30 US it is excellent value for money computer too. I can not justify taking off a chili because it doesnt have tenths kph because the quality of this thing speaks for itself. In case something unexpected goes wrong with it over the next years I will change my review but I strongly doubt that.

Purchased At:   Cecil Walker Cycles Melbourne

Similar Products Used:   F18

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 4.0 with lots of mods

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    Good functionality for the price (cadence).
Easy to use.
Computer is very tight on the mount (won't fall off).

Weaknesses:    The Set button has to be pushed with a pen or something.
The zip ties are too small for even moderately fat tubes.
The zip tie installation looks kind of chinsy.

Bottom Line:
I'm 100% satisfied with the way it functions. It doesn't have a tenths for current speed, but I don't mind. The installation was a pain because of the zip ties. I had some larger zip ties of my own laying around, so I used those. My bike looks weird with a bunch of zip ties all over it, but I think I may get a few small velcro straps to use in place of the larger and more prominent zip ties. I had a little trouble getting the front wheel's magnet close enough to the sensor, as the instructions say it should be no more than 4mm away. That's a pretty small distance. But it looks like it works fine; my speeds and distances look correct. For the price, it's a pretty good little computer.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Submitted by Reg a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    extremely waterproof
all the functions i need
easy to use

Weaknesses:    too much wire

Bottom Line:
Was out riding in the rain and got covered in mud and grit, including my Echo. Stupidly I pushed the button and a bit of grit got stuck between the button and the body- jamming it. So I put the whole computer in a glass of water and gave it a shake - grit came loose and it now functions perfectly. I do not know of any other computer that can do that.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Avocet

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana

Submitted by Andrew from Bridgeport, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Strengths:    Unique data display, simple operation

Weaknesses:    No tenths on speed, resetting wheel size and time without blowing away memory a bit counterintuitive

Bottom Line:
Love this computer, because it's the ONLY one that shows cadence, speed AND one other parameter (for me it's distance) all at the same time. The mounting on one of my recumbents makes it tough to press the button, so having everything I need visible all the time is very important to me. The only complaints I have are minor... there's a trick to setting the clock and resetting wheel diameter without blowing away your odo (don't lose the instructions); there's no tenths display on the speedo (but there is an above/below average arrow). This computer has now been renamed, and is called the F2. Same computer, different button. Only available at Nashbar.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Recumbents (3 different ones)

Submitted by Pedro a Weekend Warrior from Rep. of Panama

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to use

Weaknesses:    max rpm sometimes is off

Bottom Line:
Great, trusty computer, a great plus is the average cadence, great for roller training and spinning measurements over ride time. One button is a no miss, also, have to keep it pressed for some seconds in order to reset, so cant be reset by accident.

Favorite Trail:   xtra to chepo

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   cateye astrale, mity 2, Trek Sensor

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Catalyst, Road bike

Submitted by H. A. from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    has cadence; seems durable

Weaknesses:    no 10ths in current MPH; can't get spare parts

Bottom Line:
Not a bad comp., but I lost the cadence sensor, and the distributor who the Co. told me to contact for spare parts DOES NOT RESPOND!

Submitted by Toby a Weekend Warrior from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    3-level display. Sturdy wire and sensors. Better than average water-resistance.

Weaknesses:    One-button setup. No tenths in current speed. Cannot adjust the different displays independently. Went flaky on me: speed jumps around. Spring contacts weaken if computer left in place on mount.

Bottom Line:
Fair. Does not seem as water-sensitive as the Astrale, but went flaky just the same. Similar problems with intermittent contacts. Takes firm pressure to click the computer into the mount, more than the Astrale. Didn't realize how much I'd miss the tenth's display for current speed til I bought this. The cadence has been reliable, and is a must-have for me. The Sigma also lacks tenths. Let's see, that leaves the Vetta 77or Performance Axiom C (VDO)

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astrale

Bike Setup:   easy.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    Reliable, Waterproof, Durable, Easy to set up, Accurate

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This computer is very durable and has many good functions for being only $30 at Nashbar. It is also completely sealed from water and can take a beating. I plan to get one for my mountain bike even though it has cadence.

Favorite Trail:   C & O Towpath

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar wireless<----------horrible

Bike Setup:   '99 Cannondale T700

Submitted by Crimson a Weekend Warrior from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    Lots of Functions - Avg/Cur/Max Speed, Avg/Cur/Max Cadence, Trip Distance, Trip Time, Count Down Timer, Count Down Distance, Cur vs. Avg Speed Comparison, Time of Day. Displays Speed, Speed Comparison, Cadence, plus one other function concurrently.

Weaknesses:    Clunky(read BIG) sensors, Excess wire, Provided zip-ties too short for funky down tubes, One-button programming.

Bottom Line:
I was also hesistant on buying a cyclometer I hadn't read much about, but I figured @ $39.95 (from bicycletyres.com)for a 12-function computer - how could I go wrong. This seems to be very solid - from the sensors, to the mount - which should attract rough terrain cyclists. The count down distance function is also, surprisingly, very useful; I've set mine up for 3-mile time trials - after the 3 miles, the display flashes, with the information "frozen" - so I can flip through and see how I did - max/avg speed, time, max/avg cadence, etc. - which should make this product attractive to roadies (such as myself). All in all, it's a great value and highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   shh - it's a secret

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mity2, Cateye Astrale, VDO Sprint Plus.

Bike Setup:   Stock '99 Bianchi Eros. Stock '91 Miyata Alumicross.

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was a little nervous ordering a cyclocomputer from a company that I couldn't find any reviews on but I must say that the echowell http://www.echowell.com.tw/ works really well as an offroad cycle computer. Despite the fact that it has a cadence sensor, it is incredibly durable and waterproof. The sensor mounts are large enough to mount on basically anything. The zip ties that are included to hold the wires in place weren't big enough to handle my Cannondale's oversized down tube but I mounted the wire along the top tube and down the seat tube and that seems to work fine. If you have a fat tube dual suspension or something like the c'dale you may have need longer zip ties for the down tube or mount it as I did. The computer is very accurate both in speed and distance and the cadence sensor is an extra treat for doing some spinning here and there. The mount on the handlebar is basically bombproof. Additionally, the fact that echowell's box has a picture of a guy running with a mountain bike through a creek and another picture of the computer operating in a glass of water gives you some idea that it was intended for hardcore offroad use. All in all, an excellent value at $36 and well-deserving of 5 stars.