Ciclosport CM434 Computer

2.79/5 (14 Reviews)

Ciclosport's CM434 cyclecomputer offers advanced advanced altimeter functions that let you know how fast and far you've climbed.

Submitted by jacques a Cross Country Rider from italy

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    complete range of information. easy to use; tolerated some do it yourself repair (read further)

Weaknesses:    terrible support system on the handlebar: too high, too flimsy, not tight enough.

Bottom Line:
after much research I selected the ciclosport 434 because of its range of functions and also because of positive reviews. it delivered as expected. I forgot why but after maybe a year the push buttons refused to work, meaning I could throw the thing out. Since it was dead anyway I Decided to open it and check out its inside (I am no computer wizzard having never opened a PC!). I pushed back the buttons , glued the cover back with crazy glue; and surprise! it worked and has worked ever since without problems. from posted reviews it seems this computer is either very good or disastrous, for me I would rate it 4 out of 5 (the handlebar mounting prevents me from giving it a 5 chilis)

Purchased At:   france

Similar Products Used:   cat eye

Bike Setup:   KTM mountain bike used for week-long touring as well as daily harduous rides on difficult terrain

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    easy installation, easy to read screen, lots of functions, temperature and altimiter functions, wireless

Weaknesses:    seals to battery compartments, price, can't scroll through entire menu tree while riding

Bottom Line:
I really liked this computer. I didn't have the inaccuracy problems that others reported. Since the altitude functions worked based on barometric pressure, I think you have to assume some innacuracy. It may not be absolutly correct, but it gives you a good idea of altitude, slope, etc. Unfortunatly, my computer died a few weeks ago. I went for a ride in the rain and it completly stopped working a few days later. Turns out the seal in the battery compartment for the base failed, and the entire battery compartment is corroded. So, a $150 computer is destroyed because a 3 cent piece failed. Pretty dissapointed in that, but I loved the computer when it worked.

Similar Products Used:   performance brand computers

Bike Setup:   Blur LT

Submitted by Chris from Chester, SC

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Strengths:    Accuracy, road gradient (current, average and maximum, both up and down), settable total miles, also trip mileage can be reset durng ride without losing other settings.

Weaknesses:    A seperate, indpendant reset for max. speed would be nice.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the most precise bike computer's I've ever used. After properly calibrating it on a measured 10 mile course, I get an accuracy of 9.995% (this includes any error in the course measurement itself).
The road gradient is very useful both for incidental info (gee, was that hill really that steep?) and as a training aid by telling me just how well I am doing, or have improved on a measurable level of steepness.
The settable total miles means I can keep tabs on the bike's mileage over it's lifespan, not just between the computer's battery changes, or computer changes, if I ever need to get a new one. I presently have about 44,500 (that's fourty four thousand) miles on my bike.

The trip milege can also be set, which is nice if I make a wrong turn, as I can retrace my steps and then reset the miles to what they are on the que sheet (route sheet for you westerners) at that point. Also, I can measure two seperate sections of a ride and the computer will still remember the total for that ride.

Alitude is about as accurate as barometric altimeters on other bike computers. It's supposed to compensate for temperature changes, but I still see variences. The altitude for the start/finish location may vary by a few tens of feet before and after a ride. But from what I've seen this is common with all altimeter B.C.'s.

Overall, I can see why Lance has one like this on his personal as well as his team bike (his model is the one that can download to his PC).

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Avocet, Cat Eye, Rhode Gear, other Ciclosport B.C.'s

Bike Setup:   This omputer is on my road tourer. It's way too complex for my MTB. I have a much simpler wireless computer (also CicloSport) for that. The reason I'm submitting this review here is because this product is not represented on Roadbike Review.

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from asheville

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    not much...May be a good and clear display

Weaknesses:    Everything you can imagine. It is expensive and does not work. Nothing is accurate, from the speed to the percentage of climbing. The temperature gives you wrong reading and it takes 2 batteries to operate (1 for the base of the computer and 1 in the computer itself) + that damn machine does not even turn off. That mean the batteries are used around the clock even when you don't ride.

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor. Do not buy this thing and use my own experience as a lesson. Shop around and go for a Specialized Pro.

Similar Products Used:   Many computers (cateye, specialysed, shimano)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F 3000 hard tail with mix of XTR and SRAM
Cannondale Scalpel 4000 with same setup as the F 3000

Submitted by john godts a Racer from asheville

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Strengths:    many features...everything is there including altimeter, %climbing, temperature, power in watt you produce when riding.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely nothing is accurate. The speed is totaly off pace, % of climbing is a total joke, power is off and the computer does not turn off.

Bottom Line:
I live in the mountain and love to see how much effort I make when climbing a steep hill or what's the % of the climb but with this piece of junk, I guess I will never know. Keep your money and buy something cheaper and more accurate.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized pro

Bike Setup:   Look KG 461, full Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset

Submitted by Globepro a Cross Country Rider from Madrid, Spain

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2005

Strengths:    All functions you may need, durable, high quality, can be used for other outdoor activities

Weaknesses:    Rubber bands holding computer base to handle bar, size a little too big

Bottom Line:
I am indeed surprised by some of the reviews, this is the very best computer I ever had, and after six months of abuse, I am even happier with it! exposed this thing to rain, cold, mud, dust, sweat drops, and it works just perfect. Operating instructions are as easy or difficult to follow as any other I've seen before, I was lucky the guy at the local bike shop explained the basics to me in five minutes (this is the computer he personally uses), and then it was really easy to find out more about the amazing number of functions you will find. Great buy!

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Cateye CM 100

Bike Setup:   Too long to explain

Submitted by Hans Littooy a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2005

Strengths:    I've been using my CM434 now since Oct 2004. It has been completely trouble-free, easy to use, click-through and so forth. The altimeter feature is awesome and extremly accurate - even after riding for 3-4 hrs, I can return to the same spot, and it typically reads within 10 feet of the first ready. Has most/all they tyical bike computer features and I find easy to access (just click the right button for 2 seconds, and all the associated data with the main measure are displayed.) One of the riders I ride with has had the CM 434 for over 2 yrs, completely trouble free.

Weaknesses:    A little bulky, due to wireless unit, but that's about it. A lot more reliable than other computers I've use. Very puzzled by other reviews. Only compliant I have is that my NiteRider HID puts out too much EMF and disturbes the wireless signal.

Bottom Line:
Great bike computer that measures altitude gain, loss, total climb, % grade, plus other standard bike computer measures.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Morena

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized computers (w/o computer). Typically last abot 1 yr.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur. All the good stuff.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Somerville, MA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2005

Strengths:    Comprehensive speed/temperature/altimeter functions, second bike functions, has taken a beating and still works

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mount is excessively tall; fork mount transmitter plastic weak; thermometer slow to respond to temperature changes; poorly written manual

Bottom Line:
I bought this mainly because I thought the altimeter would be a neat thing to have while hiking, and the previous model of this computer had excellent ratings.
The fork mount transmitter's plastic gets brittle when exposed to repeated temperature changes. It didn't make it through the winter here in the Northeast; it just shattered one day. For some reason the computer's reset itself a few times and I've lost all my custom settings. The manual is not organized or written clearly, and as a result, it is difficult to program the computer.
Otherwise, it has a full complement of features. The altimeter is quite accurate after calibration. It's very durable and continues to function despite being exposed to just about any inclement weather condition.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    Gives you the accurate time of day... This is good if you don't wear a watch but not really a bike computer function I value.... The percent of grade function was neat when the unit was working.

Weaknesses:    Where to begin.... Got if for Christmas as a gift so I didn't do any research before buying this piece of crap. Sucks overall. Taking it back for sure. First time out it quit mid-ride. Can't even find average speed much less figure out the various altimeter functions. (can someone recommend a "good" cycling altimeter?) Back at home I can't get it to turn off so the batteries are boundt o die soon. Instructions are so vague you have to guess in order to interpret some functions. Have been reading similarly negative reviews all over the internet so I'm very disappointed. Btw, I own a company where I use multiple computers daily so learning curves are not a new thing to me. At first glance this thing is WAY more complicated that most computer. The owners manual omits a lot possibly due to translation.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line for me is after studying the instructions for half a day and visiting Ciclosport's worthless, non-informational website scares the heck out of me to the point I don't want to keep this thing. I've also read several reviews now from folks who say Ciclosport is totally non-responsive to questions - not cool with a technical product. I found a few good reviews which makes me wonder if this unit does work IF you manage to luck out or somehow understand the cryptic instuctions. However, I notice multiple reviews from folks who say they tried valiantly over months to get the Ciclosport CM434 to work correctly to no avail. I'm not interested in owning an overly complicated/temperamental bike computer so I'm returning it to Performance for a refund.

Favorite Trail:   Russian Ridge

Purchased At:   $150

Similar Products Used:   Various cheap though deadly accurate wired Sigma Sport units and for the past couple of years a wireless Specialized Elite which has also been very accurate even in mud and rain.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air XTR riding Northern California trails 3-4 times weekly

Submitted by Russ a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Strengths:    Multitude of information, nice display

Weaknesses:    Receiver unit is as thick as the computer, so it sits high on the handlebars; requires 3 batteries (sender, receiver and computer, if one fails, good luck figuring which one); my unit failed without warning . . . twice; fuzzy instructions

Bottom Line:
One word - CRAP! I'll elaborate. This was the most expensive computer I ever purchased (by a factor of 3), and without a doubt, the most troublesome. I've gone through at least 6 computers on my current steed, and it seems that the more I pay, the more trouble I buy. First, the instructions were honestly fuzzy (and I'm far from computer illiterate). I purchased this computer via the Internet from some company in France. I assume that something got lost in translation, English was obviously NOT the first language of whoever wrote the English version of the instructions. Most things I could figure out, but not all. Second, there is a battery in the sender unit (on the fork), a different battery in the receiver unit (on the handlebar), and yet a different battery in the computer (on the receiver unit). The first time the computer went blank, after about eight months, I thought one of the batteries had died. I replaced them, one at a time, but the
computer was still dead. After I spent a week trying to get in touch with the company I purchased it from, the computer mysteriously started working again, with no action from me. It worked for about a month, when I noticed that one day it was reading in kpg instead of mph. I assumed that one of my grandkids had been playing around my bike and had ‘accidentally reset the computer. So I set it up for the third time. It worked for another month, then reset itself overnight, when I know nobody touched it. I reset a fourth time, and it worked for about three weeks, then the computer appeared to go dead again. I started researching to decide on a new computer, when, after a week, the computer showed a display. I reset everything for a fifth time, but when I put it on my bike, it wouldn’t register speed, and after a week, it still doesn’t register speed! The clock is working, the altimeter registers changing altitude while the bike is just sitting in the garage. But no speed reading. I’m going back to my research to find a better (screw better, I’ll settle for working) computer. If you are considering this computer, I strongly recommend you continue looking.

Favorite Trail:   strictly roads

Purchased At:   online (someplace in France)

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with an altimeter; but I've had a Sigma BC400 (the only reliable one) and BC 1200, a Cateye, Avocet, Vetta, and a few others that were even less memorable.

Bike Setup:   A souped-up Univega. I know, they don't make them anymore, but I've made so many upgrades to it, my wife won't let me buy a whole new bike.

Submitted by Doug Guth a Weekend Warrior from Simpsonville, SC USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    Tons of features. I like hills and %Grade is fun to know. Fairly easy to use while riding. Can navigate both directions through the functions.

Weaknesses:    Average speed is consistantly .3 - .4mph low.

Bottom Line:
I have a consistent .3-.4 mph average speed error on my CM434. When I bought the unit early last year I didn't notice it until one day when I covered 20 miles in one hour. The CM434 showed 19.6 average! I went back in my logbook and calculated all of the rides with the CM434 and they were all .3-.4mph low. I have found as much as a .5mph error. I sent the unit back to Veltec. They were very nice and sent me a new unit. When I tested the new one from them, same problem. Average Speed is the way that I judge my conditioning. Average speed doesn't seem like rocket science so I am now wondering how accurate any of the functions are. I haven't heard back from Germany and will write them again.

Favorite Trail:   Roadie

Purchased At:   Cycling Gear

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astrale

Bike Setup:   Merlin Cyrene w/Campy Chorus, Cane Creek Volos, Ritchy bars and stem.

Submitted by Bob H. a Weekend Warrior from Belvidere, IL

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Has all the features, except HR.

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality. No support from USA distributor or manufacturer. Any company can have a lemon and I loved all the features, especially being able to turn the mount 90 degrees. Would have tried another if there was any kind of product support from the distributor or manufacturer.

Bottom Line:
Could not enter weight or altitude, would not accept first number entered and advance to the next. Other features worked fine on my first test run. On the second test run, nothing worked it was dead. Three emails to the USA distributor and one to the manufacturer went ignored. Finally had to return the unit to the dealer and purchased another Speedzone Pro, which has a few less features, but works great on my Trek Mountain Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sparta, WI

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Speedzone Pro Classic

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek 5000 Road bike.

Submitted by Duane a Racer from Roswell, GA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Strengths:    Nice display, easy to read. Lots of functionality.

Weaknesses:    Does not calculate average speed correct. About .2-.4 mph off. Temp. a couple of degrees off. Light interferes with it and makes it quit receiving. Sets very high on the bike with the stack being bike mount, on top that receiving unit, then computer. Not exactly an avocet 45 for being low profile.

Bottom Line:
For this much money could be a lower profile. Can't believe it is so far off on average speed. That calculation seems pretty basic. Altimeter has a lot fluctuation day to day. Probably because of barametric change. However amount ascended and descended will vary as much as 20% on some rides. Seems like a lot to me.

Also when having problem with light tried to contact veltec sports because i thought it was just not working. NO.... resonse to 3 emails. Not very good customer support!!!

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 45, Dbase 4l, many others.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5900.

Submitted by Mark Vagner a Cross Country Rider from Prague, Czechia

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Strengths:    accuracy of altimetr, resistance to extreme temperatures, really waterproof, can be used separately as altimeter, easy to read, number of functions, reliable, durable

Weaknesses:    1. complicated mounting system, cheap mounting with rubber ring (way to hell compared to older CM 414!)
2. is not able to count parts of km into total ODO (three trips of 3.97 km + 2.85 km + 4.94 km gives 9 km in ODOmeter)

Bottom Line:
I tested the accuracy of altimeter of CM 434 with another CM 414 of my father - during 125 km trip we climbed more than 2500 m, both computers never differed more than 3 m of altitude. It´s fantastic! Of course, the changes of almospheric pressure result in changes of altitude display (1 hPa means some 8-9 m, I guess), it is neccesary to calibrate (especially if weather is not stable). However the display is quite large, it works in minus 10 - 15 °C without problems. On the other hand, in temperatures above 46 °C (summer, Portugal) computer twice collapsed (after cooling it was OK including memory). It is possible to use it as an accurate wrist altimeter for hiking. Weaknesses are dispayed above: I can not understand why chip is not able to count digits after decimal point to total ODO (all of used CC are able to do so, even father´s museal Intertronic (1989 made). Solid mounting of older CM 414 was replaced by complicated and cheap-looking system resembling Big Mac: the first part is stand mounted by rubber ring on bar, then the second part with battery of reciever is clicked into, and finaly the third part (cyclocomputer) is clicked on the top. Older system was so much better!

Purchased At:   local internet shop