CatEye V3 Computer

The V3 is Cateye's top-of-the-line cycling computer. Like the V2C, the V3 uses coded 2.4 GHz digital transmission to eliminate interference from other computers, displays three lines of data, and uses a single cadence and speed sensor. With the Cateye V3 you also get the added benefit of a heart rate function with the capability to track 4 heart rate zones and compute your calorie consumption.The computer installs without tools, and can be mounted to any handlebar or stem. And the wireless speed/cadence sensor will fit nearly every chainstay out there, no matter its shape. This is a simple computer for serious training. The V3 uses Cateye's integrated control buttons and automatically recognizes when you move it from your training bike to your racing bike. The V3 gives current, max, and average speed, cadence and heart rates; calorie consumption, odometer, trip distance, lap time, average speed, countdown distance and a timer. You also get elapsed time, the date, a clock and enough memory to store 14 files and 99 laps.

Submitted by anthony

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    data good, not easy to install or setup

Weaknesses:    paid $200 two years ago, eates batterys ever other ride but has worked well until 2012. computer went bad, nothing works, sent to cateye and replacement sent, this works????

vry complicated to use, not user friendly

Bottom Line:
would rather have a simple relaible

Submitted by MTB-SC a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, South Carolina, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    Small, Easy to Use, Shows Multiple Readings

Weaknesses:    Speed/Candance Sensor Bracket

Bottom Line:
The system is nice but make sure that you upgrade the tie straps that hold on the Speed/Candance Sensor. Both tie straps popped off on my second ride. I didn't notice till around 1.5 miles later. Luckily when I went back, another rider had found it and gave it back. I put the largest tie straps that will fit on it now.
Other than that, I've had no issues with it. I really enjoy being able to target a certain HR when riding by myself.

So, I MT Bike and think this is a great product. Just make sure to upgrade the sensor tie straps!!! $80 for a new sensor!

Favorite Trail:   K-3

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   MTB Felt Compulsion

Submitted by hvmathews a Cross Country Rider from Miami, Florida

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    It doesn’t work as expected. For 180 bucks you expect at least 1 or 2 years of non faulty operation, but since the beginning has been a nightmare making this piece of trash to work. The cadence sensor never worked. I have no idea who designed the sensor but “cmon men” , and that is the top of the line. CATEYE people you have lost a client and will never recommend this brand to anybody on the trail.

Bottom Line:
I bought this computer because I needed something to inform me about my HB, cadence Speed, etc. It seems to be like I have to spend more on another product.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   Alex Bycicles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius 30

Submitted by GoremanX a Cross Country Rider from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Rock solid wireless signal, easy to install, mostly easy to read, lots of display options, keeps track of multiple sessions as "files" stored on the unit

Weaknesses:    Cheap mounting setup, sensor will not stay in place on rough rides, wheel magnet can turn out of place, goes to sleep too quickly, tiny cadence readout, way more expensive than most other models

Bottom Line:
I mostly ride to improve my health, and not knowing simple things like my current heart rate, cadence and speed makes it very hard to gauge progress from week to week. I finally decided to invest in a good cyclo computer rather than waste my time with the crappy stuff available at WalMart. I was more interested in knowing my cadence and heart rate than I was in speed, but having a speed readout is also useful.

Now with the Cateye V3, my riding efficiency has easily doubled. Knowing exactly how fast I'm pedaling and how hard my heart is going allows me to maintain an ideal pace to get the most out of every ride. The best part is the "average" readout, which gives me an average cadence, heart rate and speed for my current cycling session. This has allowed me to see the actual improvement in my performance from week to week. The unit stops calculating an average when there's no input, so long downhills without pedaling won't artificially skew the average.

Installing the sensor was super-easy, but tie-wraps are notoriously unreliable. Especially when mounting to a chainstay that's tapered. When the trail gets rough, the sensor tends to slowly slide towards the narrow end of the chainstay. I fixed this by putting a piece of 2-sided tape under the sensor mount and using stronger tie-wraps. It's not visible, and it keeps the sensor in place.

The other weakness is with the wheel magnet. It's attached on one side of the magnet, instead of right down the middle. This causes the magnet to eventually rotate toward or away from the sensor. I have to re-adjust it every time I take my bike out of the truck, because it tends to turn while I'm transporting the bike.

The wireless signal is flawless. I always get a super-accurate readout. However the unit has a tendency to go to sleep really quickly. Sometimes when I take a 5 minute break, then get back on the bike, one of the sensors will have gone to sleep without me realizing it. It's just a matter of pushing a button on the display to wake everything back up again, but it's annoying when it takes me a few miles to realize it.

So far, I'm extremely happy with this product, despite its high cost. There are still a lot of features hidden in there that I haven't made use of.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Generic WalMart crap

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Hoss with upgraded brakes, pedals, stem and seat

V3 El Guapo 142x12 rear end

i remember reading on here a while ago, a forum member was told by Titus at Sea Otter that this year would see a 142x12 conversion kit being brought out for the v3 El Guapo's rear end... has this happened? is it likely to be happening? is it even possible!!?! cheers guys ;)Read More »

2011 Commencal DH V3 BB Height

Anyone know the actual BB height on a V3 Trying to compare specs to my current ride for possible purchase. Geo sheet shows +8mm of center of wheel. So would it be 330.2mm (1/2 26" wheel) + 8mm =338.2mm (13.31")? or do they take into account tire height as well. Just curious. ThanksRead More »

El Guapo V3 rear shock

I`m planning to change Monarch RT3 and i have some question before buying anything. 1. Anyone tried fitting Manitou ISX-4(6)/Swinger Expert on El Guapo V3, because piggyback is in different place than it is in other shocks ? 2. Is there any problem fitting a coil shock with rocker in progressive p ... Read More »

Suntour XCM V3 Fork Too Stiff

Hi Guys I'm completely new to this! I've got a Trek 4500 with a Suntour XCM V3 9(coil spring) fork, but its way too stiff for my liking. Is there any way i can make it softer? Ive tried changing the preload but it really does'nt make a difference... Thanks in advance!Read More »

Vivid for Commencal Supreme DH V3?

Hi, Any experiences here with a Vivid coil in a Supreme V3 instead of the stock Fox RC4? - does it fit? - good match with the bike? - any experiences with the various tunes for the Vivid? Thanks!Read More »