CatEye Stealth 50 (CC-GL50) Computer

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The CatEye Stealth 50 CC-GL50 is a GPS enabled cyclocomputer with advanced cycling functions. A very easy set-up and easy to operate, it is ideal for light training and everyday cycling. Using GPS technology to calculate position, track speed, distance, e

Submitted by Jim Robillard

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2014

Strengths:    Low price, easy to use, has most functions you'd need

Weaknesses:    Losses ride data, which makes it worse than useless

Bottom Line:
I've had this device for over a year now and after just returning from Lajitas and discovering that most of my ride data is missing I'm finally going to trash it. This is just one of several instances of truncated or lost rides, or the unit refusing to sync. Don't buy it.

Submitted by Krunk_Kracker

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap ant+ GPS
Battery life
One button operation
Price
Waterproof

Weaknesses:    Software
Cateye Atlas website
No alarms/bells
Packaged manual is terrible - go to the cateye website and download the manual from there.

Bottom Line:
I picked this up because of the specs it offers sub-$200. the Garmin 200 is the only other gps that I know of in it's price range, and it is not ant+ compatible. The next one up is the Garmin 500, which every knows and loves, but it's $250 new.

The Stealth 50 is a great device, I haven't had any deal-breaking issues with it yet, and don't foresee have any in the future. It was a bit of a pain to setup, and felt unintuitive, but once you figure it out, it becomes second nature. I bought a Motoactv ant+ heart rate monitor and it works great, and has no issues connecting at all.

It seems to be very accurate and you can set the poling rate to 1s, 3s or 5s. I keep it on 1s.

I've ridden in rain storms and it never lost GPS signal with thick clouds and trees overhead. It is totally waterproof as well, I never take it off when i wash my bike.

The software that comes with it is a bit lacking, but it works. It uploads to either the Cateye Atlas website, or Strava, We all know that Strava is awesome, but the Atlas site is terrible.

There aren't any alarms. I'd like to be able to set alarms for miles, or time, but this isn't a huge deal for me.

There aren't any training modes either, no real way to race yourself, other than a little up or down arrow that tells you if you're faster or slower than your last recorded run. Maybe Cateye will include these in a future update.

All in all, I am very happy with it. I got into an ant+ GPS computer for $150 and it works great.