CatEye Mity 2 Computer

3.56/5 (61 Reviews)

Cateye Mity 2

Submitted by Alpha-Q a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    Been with me for over 12 years now. battery just died this couple of days.

Bottom Line:
Excellent item and easy to use

Submitted by Bernt a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Works great after many years. Manual can be downloaded here:

Submitted by Concha Tourne a Weekend Warrior from Spain

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
I have had it for a looooooong time. Last time I replaced the battery I could'n find the paper with the setup, so now it is not counting properly.
Has anybody got the paper and could send me a copy of it? Thanks!!

Submitted by Alexandre a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Strengths:    Reliabilty, easy use, simple design, durability...

Weaknesses:    you cannot enter the erased milage after the battery has run out. weak wire.

Bottom Line:
I have had this computer for atleat 10 years. when i bought it, it came with a light kit and stickers. one of the best cyclo-computers you could get for the money you paid. i'm really sad that i now have to buy a new one after riping the wire out of the 'holder' while mtbing.

Submitted by Young Jerome a Cross Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    The buttons are way too easy to accidentally push. I always found that somewhere during a ride I had accidentally bumped the start/stop button so that the computer stopped recording information on my ride only part way through. The first time this happened I figured it was a freak accident. But it kept happening. I got frustrated enough I tossed the piece of junk. I now have a Mity 3, where the buttons are much harder to accidentally push. The Mity 3 works like its supposed to.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. You will lose the ride data you bought the thing to record.

Favorite Trail:   White Knuckle

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Mity 3, Vetta, Avocet 35, Specialized. I actually like the Specialized the best but they are'nt made anymore.

Bike Setup:   Merlin hardtail, old Judy SL fork, vintage Suntour microdrive components

Submitted by Miguel santos a Weekend Warrior from Oporto

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Strengths:    Many functions, resists well to rain and dirt

Weaknesses:    The wire is a bit fragile. I had to replace it twice. The odometer resets if you remove the battery.

Bottom Line:
It was probably the best cyclo computer you could buy a few years ago. It's still a very good option these days, if you are able to find it in any shop. If you do, remember that it' an old model and it should be sold cheaper... The central unit looks better than the ones on more recent models.

Favorite Trail:   Valongo

Purchased At:   Biciporto

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mitty 3, Enduro 2, other models of unknown brands

Bike Setup:   semi-rigid mtb

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Richmond

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    I have the older model. It has taken ALL the abuse I have ever given it. It has been at least 4 years and it is still on the first Battery!
I fully enjoy all of the features- distance odo for both trip and overall. Average Speed is very helpfull for training type rides. Stop watch to time your run. and of course speedometer and max speed to see how fast your were bombing that last downhill.

Weaknesses:    A little tough on set up due to the useless directions. I had to just play with it to figure out the features. A little trouble to switch from my old Cannodale to my new fat forks on my Rock Shocks- No help from LBS so I had to rig something up.

Bottom Line:
Very good cheap light computer. The wire is a little wimpy but so what! The only trouble i ever had was crashing hard on some rocks it reset itself (just the trip stuff not the overall odo) once. I even washed it in the washing machine and it was still working great!!
Never had to change the battery. Very helpfull in logging miles for repairs and check ups. Good value and good product 5 flaming MULES!!

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk

Purchased At:   Agee's

Bike Setup:   Started it off on a Decent hard tail(cannodale). switched it to kickin' soft tail Rocket 88 Stage One.

Submitted by Josh G a Racer from Toronto Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Small, Easy to use buttons. ODO has Km/hm for me (Canadian)

Weaknesses:    When setting the clock you have to be careful not to reset the ODO because this has happened to me a few times. The mount for the fork can only be used on 1 or 2 bikes till the "unresetable" tie style strip makes the cirle to small for thick forks.

Bottom Line:
Good Computer for the money. I payed 50.00 CND. Recommended

Purchased At:   Bayview Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   First Usend on M2000 Gazelle. Now on my new Trek 800Sport. 21 spd on a Shimano Altus with Scram Gripshifters. Had the bike for about 6-7 months has 248.0km on it.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Arlington,TX USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Lose ODO mileage when reset or changing out battery.

Bottom Line:
Just put in my 2nd battery after 3.5 years of use and abuse. Great bang for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Avenir, Specialized

Bike Setup:   GT RTS-3 w/Manitou SX-Ti

Submitted by Muzz a Weekend Warrior from Hobart Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Strengths:    Looks purdy and doesn't squeal like a pig
Works fine

Weaknesses:    the both button reset thing

Bottom Line:
I've had mine for over three years and have had no complaints.It's survived all weather and many crashes.
I crashed last week and destroyed the mounting bracket. So i went to my LBS and ordered a new one.
It does every thing i need it to with no hassles, i like that in a product.

5 for value
4 for overall (nothing's perfect)

Favorite Trail:   Don't make me chose

Submitted by Alex Tromp a Cross Country Rider from Apeldoorn, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    Basic functions

Weaknesses:    Needs lot of pushing on the buttons, but erases data easily if you accidentaly push both at the same time, sensor mounting, early breakdown

Bottom Line:
Stupid thing. Broke down after four months of use. I tought it was the sensor moving on the fork again because of my fork legs being to thick for the band, but there just wasn't a signal coming through.

The sensor mounting on the fork was bothering me anyway, why didn't Cateye provided tie wrap fitment like on the Velo 1. Just got that out of place once in 14 months.

Might be good if it doesn't break down and fits straight onto the forkleg

Favorite Trail:   Any south of Apeldoorn

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Velo 1

Bike Setup:   Giant XtC DS 3, SR MG 91 forks, Shimano PDM 545 pedals, Club Roost go fast bars, Giant Boulder saddle

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, Ontario, CANADA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Strengths:    Works well, clicks into mount, all the info you need

Weaknesses:    Occassionally resets, clock displays 0:00 instead of 12:00

Bottom Line:
This computer has worked fine for four years. My original Cateye is on my Beater/Pavement bike, and it's been going for six years.

I ride 50-70km per week (2-3 rides), and the computer occassional resets itself during the ride (about 1 or 2 times per month). This is not a big deal.

The computer has survived lots of endoes and crashes. It probably helps that it is mounted next to the stem on riser bars--the riser bars are like a roll cage.

I didn't change the first battery for 3 years, but now I change it at the beginning of every season, just to be sure.

It is inexpensive, and it works.