CatEye Enduro 8 Computer

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

The reliable Enduro 8 computer offers a large gauge, heavy-duty wire - making it ideal for off-road use and more demanding conditions.The wheel pickup is shapedTo fitTodays suspension forks. Magnet installs easily withoutToolsTakes common, inexpensive CR2032 batteries COMPUTER FUNCTIONSDualTrip distancesCurrent speedMaximum speed Average speed OdometerTrip distanceTrip distance 2 ElapsedTime ClockAuto start/stop Auto power-saving mode Pace arrow Programmable odometer

Submitted by Paul SIbek

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    Large and easy to see, won't be as easy to accidentally reset on the trail like my old one because it has a push button instead of pushing down on the bottom of the unit like my previous. Somehow I lost my CatEye last weekend, I think one of the bikes that were also on my trunk rack somehow pushed it off. So I still had the former CatEye mounting stuff on the handlebar and wheel/fork. Well whadda ya know, the new Enduro fit right into the old mounting bracket, I didn't have to do anything but program the Endura. BONUS... Easy to program too.

Weaknesses:    Has a "calorie: feature that didn't come close to the iPhone app that calculates calories based on ride speed and time. It was so far off 145 vs. 463.

Bottom Line:
Excellent device, especially for $29.95 at the local shop, I could have got it on-line for $5-7 less but I got it locally and instantly.

Submitted by chocolategourmand a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    I think the real strength of this computer is it's simplicity. It really isn't hard to figure out how to do things on it. My main reason for purchasing this model was because it was wired. I upgraded my lighting system a couple years ago and noticed that my computer readings would either zero out, hold at odd speeds or jump erratically. I thought maybe it was my cell phone since I keep it in my front pannier, but narrowed it down to the LED light pretty quickly. Supposedly if the computer is 6 inches away from the light the interference will go away, but I did not find this to be the case, and it would have meant compromising my cockpit setup.

Weaknesses:    As others have stated the zip tie mount system isn't perfect. I know it really expands the mounting options, but the zip ties shipped with the computer are a little weak. When trying to get them really tight they sometimes break. I replaced with some sturdier ones I had and they were fine. A backlight would be nice since I commute with bar mount light and not helmet mounted light.

Bottom Line:
This is a great cyclocomputer for someone who only needs basic functions and wants a cord to eliminate radio interference from lights or other sources.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Many other Cateye computers going back to the 80s.

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike with front/rear racks, fenders, etc... set up for touring/commuting.

Submitted by steve brenner a Cross Country Rider from san antonio, texas

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Nice and looks good.

Weaknesses:    Shows higher speeds and miles.
A known ride was 31 miles and it showed 49 miles.

Bottom Line:
I love it but not working correctly!

Should have an 800 number for information/repairs fixes!

Favorite Trail:   Streets: safer

Purchased At:   Utah Trikes

Similar Products Used:   Always use Cateye.

Bike Setup:   Set up by Utah Trikes. I checked and setup was done correctly according to instructions.

Submitted by Phil TK a Cross Country Rider from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to read display, even in bright sun, looks good too, (it's shape is often copied by the cheapies). It's compact and robustly made and has endured several occaisions when I've turned the bike over to repair a puncture and rubbed the poor thing into the gravel, minor scratches only. Easy to set up, reads the same figures as my mates satnavs/Garmins every trip. Good price.

Weaknesses:    Cable is rather long, it would be nice to be able to shorten it easiy. Cradle needs tightening very hard on oval bars or it slips. The sensor has to be shimmed out to get close enough to the magnet on my 29er. Magnet needs regular tightening before it slides.

Bottom Line:
I like products that are fit and forget and this computer has proved to be just that. I used it whilst training for an off-road London to Paris ride and it was invaluable in helping me raise my game for the ride. The Enduro does everything most people want save for heart monitering etc. 'Brilliant value, it'sdeal if you don't want to spend much on a computer but also don't want rubbish. My next computer will have to be pretty outstanding to replace the Enduro 8.
I can reccomend anchoring the magnet holder to the spokes with a dab of epoxy and some radiator pipe cut in half makes a good spacer to position out the sensor if needed.

Purchased At:   Amazon UK

Similar Products Used:   Cheapo $8 thing that worked once then died.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi 29er -standard but for 180mm disc conversion

Submitted by Colorado Yooper a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, Co

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb proof, easy to use

Weaknesses:    none for an inexpensive computor

Bottom Line:
Great for the money, I use this on both my MTB and Cross. I have over 3100 miles of use and the only thing that broke was the retention clip for the device. That was my bad, I had a panic moment on ice and it was below freezing. A little gorilla glue until I buy a new wire and retention clip. The computor has been on the origonal battery since I bought it and no problems operating it.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye Strata

Bike Setup:   ron Horse Warrior 5.0, Xt cranks, XO front and rear deriliers, Juicy 7 brakes, RS Recon. XT M317 wheels.

Submitted by dsh a Cross Country Rider from Harrogate, England

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to set up. Easy to use. The wire is robust. The unit is very weather resistant. Dual wheel set up.

Weaknesses:    The magnet has a hard time clearing my Avid BB7 disk brake.

Bottom Line:
This is a great little computer. I previously had a Specialized computer that served me well for may years. When it died I decided to step outside my comfort zone and go with a Cateye. This one was on sale and right up my alley. I commute on my mtb and have two sets of wheels with different size tires. Switching between the tire sizes on the computer is very easy... much easier than switching the actual wheels. The only complaint I have is that is sometimes has a hard time clearing the disk brake rotors. I have Avid BB7 brakes. Once positioned right it just plain works. Since I live in England it has made it through its fair share of bad weather, including rain, freezing temps and mud. I couldn't be happier with it.

Favorite Trail:   Clawhammer, Pisgah NF

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized computer... many moons ago.

Bike Setup:   A frame, two wheels, handlebar, stem, seat etc etc. 2 wheel sets.

Submitted by DIRTY DUCK a Cross Country Rider from TAMPA, FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    ACCURATE
DEPENDABLE
HEAVY DUTY SENSOR CABLE
EASY TO USE
WATER RESISTANT

Weaknesses:    NO COMPLAINTS

Bottom Line:
NICE BIKE COMPUTER FOR THE PRICE. DURABILITY HAS BEEN EXCELLENT. I HAVE WRECKED NUMEROUS TIMES YET THE ONLY DAMAGE SO FAR HAD BEEN A SCRATCHED DISPLAY. I'VE BEEN CAUGHT IN HEAVY RAIN STORMS YET THE COMPUTER JUST KEEPS ON WORKING. GOOD COMPUTER FOR RECREATIONAL RIDER OR MOUNTAIN BIKER. NOT HIGH TECH ENOUGH FOR THE ROADIES.

Favorite Trail:   ???????????

Purchased At:   BIKE NASHBAR

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   SETTE ACE AND FUJI SUNFIRE

Submitted by Graphyfotoz a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Durable....Large clear display makes it easy to read...easy setup.
Most important has Heavy duty sensor cable!!
MUCH nicer than any Bell unit I have seen!!

Weaknesses:    Optional light up feature would be nice.
Maybe make it waterproof?
Other than that none.

Bottom Line:
Great unit esp for trail riding.
Rugged built and Heavy duty sensor cable make this a must have.
Should be a standard unit for any XC/Trail Mountain Bike.
Other units are frail and more for road bike only use.
Reasonably priced for what it does.
Has all the basic features you need in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Any place I can roll

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   Bike: 2006 Voodoo Hoodoo 19"
Bar: Titec Enduro XC
Grips: Bontrager Big Earl Lock On's
Neck: Titec Lil-Al
Head Set: Ahead
Fork: RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air
Levs: Avid Speed Dial 5
Brakes: Promax 160mm (For now)
Speed: 3x9 SRAM X-7
Saddle: Selle Royal Xsenium
Saddle Post: Titec Hellbent

Submitted by sith_lord a Weekend Warrior from Croatia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Heavy duty wire, simplicity, robust design, looks nice, simple display with BIG numbers on it, does it's job!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Very nice piece of equipment, which when I saw for the first time, I knew I had to have it.
I wasn't disappointed with my choice...
My only objection would be for those manuals that doesn't show you what this little device is capable of (I am referring to all those functions that Cateye Enduro 8 has and are not explained in manual)...

All in all, GREAT product... :)

Purchased At:   TCT

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap computers

Submitted by jeffhallman a Cross Country Rider from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Simple display, not overly complicated to setup, similar to older Enduro models

Weaknesses:    No advanced functions (i.e. HRM, rear wheel mount); fork mount is zip-tied on

Bottom Line:
I'm still running a Cateye Enduro from 1998 on my XC hardtail racer and haven't replaced the battery yet, and hasn't failed me yet. I bought the newest Enduro 8 for my full suspension about 6 months ago and besides looking a little different than the older models, it works exactly the same.

Very simple design makes it a great deal. No worries about losing a wireless signal. The wire is thicker than other computers I've seen. The only issue I have is that the fork mount for the receiver is zip-tied, whereas my older model mounts using a screw, so it's easier to move around if I put a different wheel on the front and need to move the magnet to a different position.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt