CatEye Cordless Cyclocomputer Computer

3.46/5 (90 Reviews)

CatEye Cordless Cyclocomputer

Submitted by Pete a Racer from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    Durable and easy to see

Weaknesses:    In cold weather it is intermittent at best. I checked the pick up spacing, it was nearly touching the magnet. New batteries failed to help

Bottom Line:
Other than thermal shortcomings, a good value for the money.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Other Cateyes

Bike Setup:   Habanero Ti w/ Campy Components

Submitted by CL a Cross Country Rider from N. Cal

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    CATEYEs VECTRA MODEL: Pick up signal very well, auto start-stop. nice reading and mounting kit.

Weaknesses:    No single trip ride time, which is the second most important function of computer (other than milage). THis is an unforgivable mistake.

Bottom Line:
CATEYEs VECTRA MODEL
Very happy with the signal capture and auto start fuction, work flawlessly everytime and no need to 'wake it up'. However, lack of the function of single trip ride time makes this computer an unfortunate limp. otherwise I will give it a 5 chillis.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toads

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cateye enduro, Vette,

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite

Submitted by Logan a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    The CC-FR7CL is easy to install due to lack of wires. CC-FR7CL setup easy when making step-by-step confirmation with instructions. Odometer can be preprogrammed with previous/old computer reading. Appears to be water resistant.

Weaknesses:    Original factory batteries lasted about 6 months of continuous use. Batteries will last 12 months provided that computer is used 1 hour per day (This is mentioned in the insructions). At this rate the batteries would last me about 6 - 9 months.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is that the CC-FR7CL appears to do what it was designed to do. I have followed the instructions as written and never had a problem.

Purchased At:   K-Mart

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Tomo CC-ST200 (this unit is NOT wireless)

Bike Setup:   Raceline Giro (2004) road bike. Prior to using the CC-FR7CL for the first time I wanted the most accurate distance/speed to be measured. I did this by using a GPS and a calculator. My tyres are 700x23C and the instructions suggest a wheel size of 2096. I programmed the CC-FR7CL with 2096 and inflated the tyres to 90PSI. I travelled a distance of 100km using my GPS. My CC-FR7CL registered 100.67km. 100.00 / 100.67 X 2096 = 2082 which seems to be the correct wheel size for my bike tyre. Assuming of course that the tyre pressure is always the same!

Submitted by Gary Snodgrass a Racer from Malvern

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Clean look and simple to use/install.

Weaknesses:    Computer wont get signal unless you hold computer right next to the sensor on the wheel now. I put new batteries in and still same.

Bottom Line:
I had this on my Merlin XLM for 13 months and its been perfect. I put one on my Rocky 6 months ago and it took a dump this week. The one on my Merlin still has original batteries and is perfect. Its hit and miss from what I'm seeing with the cordless 7. I put new Trek Incite 8i on Rocky yesterday. I like the big display of the 8i.

Get the new Cateye Micro or try the Trek 8i. I would avoid the cordless 7.

Favorite Trail:   Brush Creek

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn Vertex TSC, IF rigid fork, xtr 8speed, avid mechs.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    When the battery is not dead it works well.

Weaknesses:    This unit seems to eat batteries - 4 in a year.

Bottom Line:
Nice unit, I liked it for the clean look of cordless, but it does not seem to hold a battery for more than 2-3 months. Too annoying considering in the same time frame, my specialized road bike needed 1 new battery and the Cateye needed 4. Cateye makes good stuff, just not the 2004 cordless 7.

Purchased At:   Universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro 8, Specialized, Sigma

Bike Setup:   Custom Vulture SS

Submitted by Paul C a Weekend Warrior from Boca Raton, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have to add to my last review. It wasn't the battery that was the problem. The problem was I had my MP3 player mounted on the stem right nect to the computer. The MP3 player was interfering with the signal. Moved the player, problem solved. Reads fine, quick and accurate from what i can tell.

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling.com

Submitted by Paul C a Weekend Warrior from Boca Raton, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    I couldnt find it elsewhere so here is my review for the micro wireless: CC-MC100W. Awesome unit. Wireless rocks.

Weaknesses:    Battery operated...will eventually run out at probably the worst time.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing! It's wireless! Its reads. I had one problem when i bought it. I mounted it, and after about a day it would only read 4.4 mph, even when i would go much faster. Made all sorts of adjustments. FInally replaced the battery in the trasnmitter and walla, problem fixed. Reads like a charm. Have it high on the fork, with the transmitter as close to the magnet as possible, and about 50cm from the recievber on my handlebar. Very easy to use and setup, backlit, big screen. What more could you want? 5 for value, paid only $35 for it. 4 for Overall.

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling.com

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche

Submitted by gary a Cross Country Rider from arkham, ma.

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2005

Strengths:    wireless, inexpensive, durable, accurate, lightweight easy to mount, quick responsive pick-up.

Weaknesses:    instructions could be more refined but are adequate.

Bottom Line:
I HAVE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNIT. THE TRANSMITTER HAS BEEN SUBMERGED MORE THAN ONCE AND THE COMPUTER HAS BEEN SOAKED IN THE RAIN AND ON THE BIKE WHEN IT HAS BEEN HOSED DOWN, IT HAS BEEN OUT IN SINGLE DIGIT TEMPS, BASHED IN CRASHES AND GENERALLY NOT TAKEN CARE OF BECAUSE IT WORKS SO WELL YOU TEND TO FORGET IT IS THERE. I HAVE ABOUT 1600-2000 MILES OF ROUGH NEW ENGLAND MTB RIDING ON IT (HAD IT ON 2 DIFFERENT BIKES). SO FAR I'VE CHANGED THE BATTERIES JUST ONCE. I BOUGHT IT AT MY LBS WHERE THE STAFF ARE RIDERS AND RACERS AND THIS IS WAS WHAT THEY RECOMMENDED OVER MORE EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS. SET UP REQUIRES A LITTLE TINKERING BUT NOTHING UNREASONABLE AND MAYBE ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ADJUST THE TRANSMITTER ANGLE. IT PICKS UP THE SIGNAL RELATIVELY QUICKLY. I USE MY MTN BIKE AT TIMES FOR GEOCACHING AND OFTEN HAVE MY GPS MOUNTED ON THE HANDLEBARS, I HAVE HAD NO CONFLICTS WITH INTERFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2 UNITS. THE GPS CONFIRMS IT'S ACCURACY. THE PRICES FOR THIS ITEM ARE GETTING REAL CHEAP AND I WILL BUY ANOTHER JUST TO HAVE.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   2 dfferent sigma models

Bike Setup:   giant vt2 with upgraded components

Submitted by xcbikeman a Cross Country Rider from London ON Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the Cateye Cordless 7 CC-FR7CL. Big display. Ease of use. Just the right amount of functions.

Weaknesses:    Installation and instructions. Expensive (suppose I could have bought cheaper online).

Bottom Line:
After reading some complaints here (for the same unit?) I took some precautions. With my tires at correct pressure, sat on the bike and measured tire circumference manually - this differed greatly from the chart provided. Double-sided tape for transmitter and computer mounting. Stronger zip-ties for transmitter and mounted as high on fork as possible - well within 5mm of the magnet and 70cms of computer. The magnet configuration seems likely to come lose and is inspected before every ride (risk of over-tightening so maybe tape that too!). I've bashed and thrashed around several times and it works fine not having experienced any of the other complaints in this review section. I'd recommend the Cordless 7 CC-FR7CL but take your time with setup and securing components.

Favorite Trail:   North Thames Valley Trail

Purchased At:   allseasonsports

Similar Products Used:   Older Cateye with wires which didn't survive the washer and dryer.

Bike Setup:   xc Trek Fuel

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne,Australia

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Looks, Weight, Ease of use.

Weaknesses:    Range, Inaccuracy.

Bottom Line:
I liked the look and sound of this unit, and decided to give one a go. Installation was easy but the device simply cant make the range from the top of my Fox Fork, through the arch and throught the carbon bar to the main unit. If I take the unit of the bar and put it closer to the sensdor I get solid readings, but on the bar it drops in and out. Tried another unit after changing the batteries and same issue.
Put a Sigma on and smooth sailing all the way. I dont know what sort of bike yo need to use this thing, but im not trading my components to make it work.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM Team. XTR, XT, Raceface,Mavic, Fox F80RLT.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    JAPANESE MADE WIRELESS... 'nuff said

Weaknesses:    haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing. What really sold me on this computer was the simple design, common battery size for computer and sensor pickup and the fact it was made in Japan were as most others are made in China. The line of site for the sensor was simple to resolve with a little tweeking. This thing has been through mud, rain, sun, cold and has not let me down. Accuracy was compared to other bikes with wired units and this thing was bang on for distance and speed. WIRES SUCK!

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   Rapid City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   My first computer

Bike Setup:   2004 Devinci Chili Pepper FS, Full SRAM X7, Marzocchi EXR PRO Fork, Fox Vanilla R Shock, WTB Weirwolf Tires, Mavic XM321 Rims, DT Swiss, SRAM 9.0 Hubs. Truvativ Gigapipe BB, Everything else Raceface.

Submitted by M Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Chi

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    It was easy enough to mount all three pieces to the bike. It was easy to set up and get readings, just not the right ones. It's a Cateye wireless product that looks cool.

Weaknesses:    It doesnt provide me the correct readings. Mileage is off and the MPH jumps all over the place. I was screaming downhill and the MPH would go from 20 mph to 5 mph? The mileage was always off by atleast .25 per mile rode? Poor or NO response from Cateye email support.

Bottom Line:
I got the Cateye Cordless 7 in Dec 04. I tried new batteries and every adjustment possible. I followed the instruction to a "T" but no luck. I ride marked trails where the mileage is known and the darn thing is always way off. The MPH readings are just goofy too. I emailed CatEye and got no response. BOTTOM line is this wireless product didnt work at all for me. I will be picking up a Wired Unit soon and Likely NOT a CatEye product. Later.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Hills

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   None Yet.

Bike Setup:   Stock 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Submitted by Stephen Davis a Racer from Cantley, Quebec

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    Display is easy to read

Weaknesses:    gives in acurate speed readings

Bottom Line:
I actually own two of the cordless units,I won't comment on the things they do well because it is pointless in respect to what they do not do. They both malfunction in the same way. Speed reading will drop every few seconds to about a third of the actual reading,this of course throws of the OD measurment as well.I contacted the service rep, he suggested new batteries (I now know this is not an isolated case, and batteries do not solve this problem)After trying the batteries I recontacted the same service rep but he would not respond anymore.I am sorry I did not support a better company for the last 4 computer purchases.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mate (1980s)
Cateye Velo2

Bike Setup:   Thin Blue Line road
Devince Dragonfly MTB

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from colonial heights va

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    easy set up,looks,I happen to like zip ties( easy to keep some in the hydropak),big magnet+ big sensor= easy install, easy to read instructions

Weaknesses:    all data(except odo) changes to zero at once.Id like to be able to reset individually

Bottom Line:
the instructions say it does not work below 32. wrong. I went out yesterday (27F and windy as heck)and it did fine. the LCD was a little sluggish but the one on my cell phone does that in this cold weather too. I like the way the clock is accessed,the easy way to change from bike 1 to 2,the size of the display and it doesnt look all blurry with polarized glasses. if you want a computer with no wires that is easy to understand how to set up and operate,dont mind zip tie installation,that uses the same size battery on both pieces, Very user friendly, for a reasonable price, then give this one a try. I went wireless with the Sigma and it does not work right below 50F,hates water and must be EXACTLY in line and no more than 20cm,uses batteries like water, and was ready to go back to breaking wires when my local bike shop guru suggested this. there is not much he would "highly reccomend"and he did with this. once again Si is on target. I am not easy on equipment and this one is doing great so far. its not made in USA or Id give it a 5 overall

Favorite Trail:   Pocahontas