CatEye AT-100 Computer

4.04/5 (28 Reviews)

The AT100 has a temperature compensated altimeter to provide quick and accurate altitude readings that let you know just how high you have climbed. An Eeprom chip saves all your valuable information during battery changes (no more losing your hard-eamed mileage). A new LED back light lets you see all the information at night, and G-Shock technology takes the abuse of off-road riding.

Submitted by Safari Larry a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, CA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, Altitude Function

Weaknesses:    Display, complex, broken sensor bracket

Bottom Line:
I purchased my AT100 in 1998 before a cross country ride on my new Trek touring bike. I now have about 10,000 miles on the computer and the bike. Only problem I've had is a broken sensor bracket.

It has been very reliable, all functions have worked well. Altitude is generally within a 100 ft error when properly set at the beginning of ride. Altitude gain function has been very useful as I do considerable hill/mountain riding. I've replaced the battery twice over the 13 years.

I keep thinking I need to upgrade but this thing just keeps on working.

Favorite Trail:   Angeles Forest Highway

Bike Setup:   Touring

Submitted by JD Parker a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Altimeter.
Bike on / bike off mode for altimeter.
Value.

Weaknesses:    Lots of keystrokes for some functions.
I find the display difficult to read in some lighting conditions compared to other computers.

Bottom Line:
I bought the CatEye AT100 in order to track total elevation gain per ride. It has worked reliably and accurately for that function in 4+ years of service. When purchased, it was the least expensive computer with altitude capability. Because of the low cost and years of accurate service, I give the unit a high score for value.

Because of weaknesses listed above, I use a different computer (yes, I have two mounted on handlebars) for time and distance functions.

I think a basic understanding of how an altimeter works will alleviate frustration when working with this, or any, altimeter. An altimeter doesn't really know what the altitude is. All it knows is what the air pressure is. It is your responsibility to tell the altimeter if the air pressure at your trailhead is different than it was last time you were at this trailhead.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Similar Products Used:   Avocet, specialized

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Julian, CA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Strengths:    The Altimeter

Bottom Line:
Many of you folks are way too hard on the Altimeter function. Since it is based on barometric pressure it will give different readings throughout the day based on temperature and barometric pressure. I usually find that I am within 100 feet or so of the actual altitude and that is good enough for me. To me the big bonus is the altitude gain feature which is highly accurate and repeatable. Not only do I care about distance traveled but elevation gained during my ride and it does that extremely well.

The unit has proven to be reliable over years of use and the battery life is very good.

Who cares about temperature and back lighing? I don't. That is not why I got the computer.

This computer is better than anything that is available and even at list price I find it a good value.

Too bad they quit making it. Now you guys can whine about that!

I never give 5 stars for anything, but if you look at the reviews this computer is one of the highest rated out there and I will give it 5 stars to keep it up there.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 50, Vetta, GPS's

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Dambala 29er

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent accuracy of altimeter - consistent to within 2m over the same 550m vertical ride done more than 20 times

Weaknesses:    complicated to reset; light is a joke (too dim, too brief)

Bottom Line:
Why would anyone buy a comp for a mtb without an altimeter: height gained (and lost!) says far more about a ride than just distance. The AT100 has performed faultlessly for over 100 rides in rain and mud and fine. It has survived many crashes including being ripped from its mount and, apart from a few scratches, is still going great. Only just changed the battery after 2 years.

Similar Products Used:   none with altimeter

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 80

Submitted by Brian Clingman a Cross Country Rider from Klamath Falls, OR

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    Reliable, well made. Good features. Can't beat the price for a unit with an altimeter.

Weaknesses:    Backlight is a little weak.

Bottom Line:
Have had no problems with this unit. The mileage is very accurate. The altimeter is reasonbly accurate if you follow the directions and reset the unit before your ride as temperature and atmoshperic conditions will affect the readings you get. I have put around a thousand miles on my bike since purchase and have checked the altimeter against GPS and Topo map computer programs. I'm always within 5 percent on my total elevation gain, pretty good for a unit at this price. I'm very happy with the product.

Favorite Trail:   Rye Spur

Similar Products Used:   Avocet, echo.

Bike Setup:   Klein pulse race. Bianchi Veloce

Submitted by Dalibor a Cross Country Rider from Koprivnice, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    Heavy duty design, quite good precision of altimeter, battery change possibility without lost of ODO distance

Weaknesses:    Battery life time about 1 year, decreasing of altimeter precision when battery is weak (altitude ranges +/- 10 m constantly and adds nonsense to total altitude), temperature measuring over 0 degree only, trip distance precision in 0,1 km only. If you have set ALT lock when the speed is zero, the computer has falen to stand-by mode and you move with the bike after a while, it awakes and imediately jumps to a very different altitude and "frize" there. To prevent this, awake the computer with any button first and then move the bike, it will keep previous altitude.

Bottom Line:
In spite of some weaknesses it's a very good computer, one only should learn how to prevent from them. I had beed using it even before I bought my first MTB but just then I enjoyed its features!

Similar Products Used:   CC-MT100

Bike Setup:   XC, RST381R fork, Alivio

Submitted by Dave Kim a Cross Country Rider from Covina, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    Rugged Design that can take the jolts and bumps. Back lighting in cool blue color. Accurate Speedometer. Some usefull functions. Altimeter

Weaknesses:    Very inaccurate Temperature readings. Takes about 10-15 minute before a closer accuracy temp can be taken. Basically the temp does not cycle fast enough. The altimeter can be a bit confusing to understand and set up.

Bottom Line:
Once the speedometer was calibrated correctly, I found the accuracy of it to be very good. In my line of work, I work with a vehicle dynamometer and I calibrated my AT100 to within 0.3MPH accuracy up to 60MPH. The altimeter function is very cool and a interesting tool when biking. It has the ability to function also away from the main pod. Usefull when hiking. The battery life seems quite good lasting over 1 year life. The speedometer pickup might seem a little cheap, but a lot better than other models I have seen from other manufactures. The computer has MAX speed, MAX ALT GAIN, Total Distance, Inaccurate Thermometer mainly used for Altitude compensation, Back lighting and a 12 hour clock with timer. So far it is the best computer I have ever owned from Cateye.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Other Cat Eye Cyclocomputers including wireless models.

Bike Setup:   1998 Giant MCM 980 Carbon Fiber Dual Suspension Bike.

Submitted by Alex from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Strengths:    Alt. and total ascent amount. Mileage and speed are accurate when compared with a riding partners GPS stats.

Weaknesses:    Non programable odometer.

Bottom Line:
So far I only have a little over 150 miles on the unit but so far it seems to work great. I used on a 15 mile 2300' climb ride where another ride had a GPS unit on his bike. Our speeds were identical throughout the entire ride and the altitude and total acent figures were never more than 20' apart.

I've done one ride on three seperate occassions and the total ascent has been within 30' all three times. My home altitude has always been within 20' after returning from a ride.

There is some error when riding flat terrain, but that is best explained by one of the other reviews.

Bottom line is that so far this has been well worth the $

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch, Santa Cruz, CA

Purchased At:   Joselyne's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Lower end Cateye and Specialized. None with an alt.

Bike Setup:   Haro Werks XLT full susp.

Submitted by elbow a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Zip!

Weaknesses:    Highly inaccurate if it's actually working!
V. erratic, quitting in middle of ride. Changed batteries, cleaned, chanted, beat w/ large hammer, no response.

Bottom Line:
Looked soooo good on paper! Worked imperfectly for 3-4 weeks.

Spoken to others w/ identical problems!

Good looking garbage @ best!

Favorite Trail:   Goosebury Mesa

Purchased At:   Ebay New

Similar Products Used:   Avocet Altimeter 50 Model - 10 years old - dead reliable!

Bike Setup:   Full Pimp Scalpel

Submitted by Mike Warner a Racer from O'side, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    T A D M modes.

Weaknesses:    ODOMETER Bottom Cover (S/S) came loose: had to glue back on w/cement glue. low grade wiring for sensor. Only a 12 hr. clock. Altimeter needs resetting at the beginning of each ride -- for Best results. Cheap Quality Backlight.

Bottom Line:
The ODOMETER LOCKING UP on me: I depend on this to keep track of my total mileage. USELESS Altimeter & Thermometer. Notes were kept in my bike diary. At times, alt. was 10% off accuracy. I got so tired of this inaccuracy, I stopped relying on it. Began using an outdor tool w/alt., therm., etc: carrying it along in my jersey.

Favorite Trail:   road

Purchased At:   Oerformance

Similar Products Used:   1st computer ever used/purchased

Bike Setup:   Masi Gran Corsa Campagnolo 9-speed chorus

Submitted by Abraham Altamirano a Weekend Warrior from Puebla, Pue. Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    The japanese guys are great with the computer because it´s accurate and has good functions like the termometer, altitude gain and backlight.

Weaknesses:    The light button is very small and bad located, with gloves is difficult to activate.

Bottom Line:
Very good computer, once again check your riding style and mountainbiking locations to do a smart decision. I recommend the japanese have to incorporate cadence and dual wheel size to make a more competitive product.

Favorite Trail:   Many different

Purchased At:   Puebla, Pue. Mexico

Similar Products Used:   No similar products tested.

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant Warp DS1.

Submitted by Teiby Toribio a Cross Country Rider from Santiago Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    Well, in the two almost three yrs I've had this unit, I loved and wouldn't buy anything else for a MTB... I live basically in a vally, beetween Mountain ranges, and most of the trails I ride, are in the two ranges, with lots of climbing to do, after long rides, I come home, and the alt is pretty close to the original ALT... the margin of error is very small close to none... Remember I live in the tropics... temp and pressure seldom change.... I noticed the extreme accuracy, cuz after climb thru the mountains, and riding about 30kms after the Mountains, you arrive to the beach... and when your on the sand it anywere form -5 to 10 metres... I use this in km/meter... Then after a long ride back home from the beach.. it's back to the normal ALT of my home town.... And the light is great for night riding, though, even though it would drain the batts, it should stay on at night, who care about changing a 2 dollar batt... and the fact you can't zero-out in on shot, to me is a plus I like it better that way, cuz what if you want the total alt gian of the hole month or something...

Weaknesses:    None really, just the little base on the handle bars, needs replacing after about a year,.... I always take my pc of the bike, when I on it, like when at the bike store of something... the metal connecters wear... and well you just need new ones for a tight fit....

Bottom Line:
Don't change, what works... I love this product and wouldn't change it for any other, I just would like a new version, with a cadence feature... i think any one with a MTB should buy it, cuz... Well mountain bike is about mountain basically right?, you have to do madd climbing, well it's nice to know what you have done on your ride....

Favorite Trail:   Pedro Garía...

Purchased At:   Bici-Centro

Bike Setup:   97 Gt Zaskar, XTR/XT Mavic 221 Michelin Wild Gripps (Greens)

Submitted by Mike Tyler a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Altimeter, large display

Weaknesses:    Multiple resets needed to zero out, short backlight duration, occasional problems with rain.

Bottom Line:
Of all the altitude measuring devices I have used, the Cateye has been the most accurate, especially in the area of total altitude gain. I had used the old Avocet 50 before they discontinued it, and was dismayed by huge exaggerations in my altitude gain - the Cateye has been consistant and accurate for me for several years. I am on my 3rd At-100 (I have had one stolen, and one crushed) and they all seem to have worked identically well.

I wish it was easier to zero everything, as it is I sometimes still forget to reset the total ascent, even after zeroing everything else. And I wish the backlight stayed on longer.

I have noticed user complaints about the unit failing in the rain, and I have noticed this too. What happens is water gets underneath the unit and shorts the two metal connectors on the mountaing bracket. Taking the unit off and wiping the mounting bracket (and the bottom of the unit) has worked for me in 90% of wet situations.

I am a gadget freak and have had various GPS units on my bike for long (over 1000 mile) trips, the latest being the Garmin Summit, and although it has a nice altitude graphing and total ascent feature, the cateyes ascent feature has been so dependable and accurate, I keep it on my bike even when all the features are duplicated by other gadgets (Now using the polar s-710 for the cycle computer functions) because of this.

Its a great, classic unit.