CatEye Astrale Computer

3.51/5 (53 Reviews)

In addition to the most common cycle computer functions, the Astrale offers one of the most useful measurements a cyclist can have - cadence. Cadence is the measure of your revolutions per minute - how fast you are pedaling. The Astrale will let everyone form the seasoned racer to the novice rider monitor their cadence, and excellent indicator for proper gear selection.

Submitted by dudevf1 a Cross Country Rider from SoCal, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    None. It is completely worthless

Weaknesses:    It is flimsy. It is very difficult to align the sensors, which are not able to sense things. The number of buttons to push to set functions is ridiculously long. There does not appear to be an option to set km/h or mph without re-setting everything. In a world of user friendly devices this is a total P.O.S.

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money on this alleged product. It is cheap Chinese junk.

Favorite Trail:   Anything where Equestrians are prohibited

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Nathan from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to use and read, nice design and has the basic function you need as a cyclist.

Weaknesses:    Stopped working after about 6 months. Computer was still working but the wires are not robust - i've only used this on the road and in one ride the cadence went, then a few miles later the speed. There was no visible problem with any of the wires. Performance swapped it for a new one free of charge though.
Also, you can't switch between km/h and m/h without reseting odemeter.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad computer and has nice easy to use basic functions but at $30 you are getting what you pay for in terms of longevity. The product would be a lot better if Cateye would buff up the wires a bit so they don't go bad easily.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   decent road bike

Submitted by Amy a Weekend Warrior from Riverside, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Cadence with simple display and buttons. Price. Small size. Durability and battery life pretty good. Works extremely well for me, mostly on bike path in all weather including pouring rain and snow. (Note: original model)

Weaknesses:    Getting the speed sensor close enough to the wheel magnet. On one bike I was experiencing speed fluctuations (dropping to a fraction of actual speed), and correspondingly less distance on odometer: swapped another main unit in, same problem--a more powerful magnet fixed the problem. No backlight. Having to replace wires occasionally when I wear them out (may have installed without enough slack for turning handlebars relative to rest of frame over long term).

Bottom Line:
I like the original Astrale so much I have four of them (on different bikes). I really like its simplicity and reliability. Since I use mine primarily on bike path, vibration is not an issue for me, but they have worked prefectly in crummy New England weather for me for years. Original model is hard to find now but I want to keep compatible between bikes.

Favorite Trail:   East Bay bike path

Similar Products Used:   Other Cateye models, Sigma, Cateye and other brand wireless.

Bike Setup:   current: Lemond Zurich, Wizwheels Edge trike; soon: handcycle

Submitted by Gilbert Cunanan a Cross Country Rider from Paranaque City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2005

Strengths:    cadence, looks good, easy-to-read digits, good contrast

Weaknesses:    rear-mounted sensors easily misaligned, especially the cadence sensor

Bottom Line:
First and foremost, the cadence function is very useful. If RPM is useful for car engines, it is 100-times more useful for "human engines". Helps maintain discipline so you conserve your energy and focus on proper shifting. The result: more efficient transfer of precious energy to the ground. I think this is even more important than speed/distance since these two don't factor out coasting.

If you also use an indoor trainer, the next most important feature is the rear-mounted sensor (plus the cadence). Front mounted sensors simply don't work. For me, the speed/distance/cadence is a good motivational tool for training indoors in place of the feel of real biking.

Just find a way to secure the sensors well, specially if you ride on rough and muddy terrain. Careful too when you wash.

Even just standing still, the computer unit looks really cool and easy to read with large clear digits. It adds to the overall aesthetic value of my cheap bike.

Favorite Trail:   All trails in Montalban, Rizal (Philippines).

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Alpha, Cateye Enduro 8

Bike Setup:   Budget XC MTB: BigCat/Mosso frame (Taiwan), SR Suntour XC60 fork, Shimano Acera groupset.

Submitted by Ian Channing a Weekend Warrior from London streets

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Cadence. Cheap. Rear mounting sensors. Relatively simple installation. Better sensors than the cordless I tried. 3000 miles quality service.

Weaknesses:    It will stop working in heavy rain. In the end it got one soaking too many and died on me. Not very clear display - could do with back light.

Bottom Line:
The Astrale doesn't appear to be designed to suffer the abuse of off-road. As a road computer this is excellent. The cadence is really useful for improving road speed - and subsequently reducing commuting time. Also any cycling training book will refer to cadence so you really need it to make use of them. The rear mount is useful as you are more likely to remove the front wheel when locking your bike, so no wires to get in the way.

As I said it survived 3000 miles and did the job well. Shame it died, I'll be replacing it with the new Astrale 8. Hopefully its more sturdy, it looks like the Mity now...

Favorite Trail:   Thames Embankment

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   CDC10 Cordless computer.

Bike Setup:   '98 Specialized Stumpy. XT rear, LX front. Avid 7 brakes. Mavic rims. Gripshift.

Submitted by Bert a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Accurate, aesthetic, legible display, easy to install and operate, great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Displays data even when not completely secured to mount.

Bottom Line:
I live in Southern Israel (semi arid region) and average about 200 km a week. Astrale 8 provides me with all the essential information I require to measure my progress during actual training and over the long haul. The parameters are all very accurate and I had no problems installing the system.
Recommend pushing start/stop button before going out on ride. Good value, quality and excellent company service.

Favorite Trail:   sansana

Purchased At:   branford bike

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200 SCi 58 cm

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Nice Display. Easy to navigate.

Weaknesses:    Mounting brackets suck. Sensors not sensitive enough.

Bottom Line:
The computer itself is great. I like having the cadence, and the functionality is fine. However, the mounting brackets are very difficult to install properly, and both the cadence and primary sensors keep slipping out of position and require constant adjustment. I've tightened them a number of times yet they keep slipping. My next attempt is going to be to tape it in place with electrical tape. Perhaps a stronger sensor wouldn't have to be so close to the magnet to get a reading. Overall, I rate it 2 and a half stars for this.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Avocet.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Holland, MI

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Cadence, Speedo accuracy, mounts are compatible with other cateye computers.

Weaknesses:    No 2nd Trip Distance, Odometer is NOT setable, Takes lots of button presses to scroll through important information. Thin wires.

Bottom Line:
The astrale series of cyclocomputers have most of the same features as the Mity3/Mity 8/Enduro2/Enduro8 series of cyclocomputers such as Speed, Distance,Odometer (NOT setable), Ride time, clock, average speed, maximum speed, selectable auto/manual start stop. The only bonus features an astrale has over the mity 3 is a 4 digit tire size (more accurate distance calculations for those who need it) and cadence. The features it does not have compared to the Mity/Enduro series are pacer arrows (not a big deal), dual tire settings, setable odometer, 2nd trip distance (Argh! I loved that feature), and the ability to swap the top and bottom lines (a less than useful feature really).

The new astrale 7 is functionaly identical to the original astrale. It merely has a redesigned case, display, and button arrangement.

The astrale's user interface is primitive and it it's biggest downfall. The microchip inside was designed way back in 1993 and is the oldest still in current production for the cateye line. No effort was made to minimize the number of button presses needed to acess the most vital information. It takes up to a maximum of seven button presses to scroll to the information you want to see. The mity/enduro series is much superior since it divides the data into 3 different groups, with the most important information (Distance/Average Speed/Elapsed time) listed first. So with the exception of the odometer, all ride data is at a maximum of 4 button presses away, with the most needed information at a maximum of 2 button presses away. I would rate the Astrale's user interface 3 times less efficient than that of the the mity/enduro series. Cateye should have designed a new microprocessor for the astrale when they revamped it's look.

The astrale will work (minus the cadance) in any non cordless cateye computer mount and any non cordless cateye computer will work in the astrale's mount. It's good to see that cateye keeps their parts somewhat universal! The sensor wire in the astrale's mounting kit are extremely thin. Durability has been sacrificed for discrete mounting. I didn't have any trouble installing it, but cateye should include black zip ties to match darker colored bikes.

Unless you really want cadance, steer clear of this cyclocomputer. There are many tradeoffs in using this rather antiquated design. For a cyclocomputer that costs more, the features, durability and interface are less. The mity/enduro series is still the best value there is.

Purchased At:   Ebay.

Similar Products Used:   Mity 3/Enduro 2 series

Bike Setup:   Road bike.

Submitted by Aaron a Racer from Greendale, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    Cadence moniter, Rear wheel mount sensor makes it useful on a trainer. Ease of installation.

Weaknesses:    Cadence sensor mounts on Crank arm with zip tie. It has a tendency to slip. Use electrical tape to keep it in place.

Bottom Line:
Seeing that this is my first computer I have no real basis for comparison. I can say that it was easy to mount and very easy to use. The odometer is very accurate as I rode a closed course then measured the same distance in my car. It was right on the money. A defenite good buy.

Purchased At:   Emerys Super fitness and Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, with stock setup.

Submitted by Ken Bessler a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Simplistic design, ease of use

Weaknesses:    Light duty wires, outboard position of crank sensor

Bottom Line:
It's a good computer. I have my GPS (Garmin Etrex Vista) mounted on the right handlebar and the Astrale mounted on the left handlebar. The main control on the computer is the left button so mounting it on the left means you can control the computer with your left thumb, never taking your hand off the handlebar! The controls also have a light touch - much lighter than my Mity 3. Yes, the wires are light duty - Cateye refined the older design by replacing the wire tape with zip ties but now they are so strong they can crush the delicate wire! I solved the problem of exposing the wires to abraision by mounting them on the inboard edges of the frame.

Now the crank sensor is different - the crank is outboard of the frame so the sensor is outboard, too. This exposes the sensor to possible damage. IMHO there is nothing that can be done except maybe to mount the crank sensor to the right side of the frame where the chainrings will protect it a bit.

My Bianchi has a 50cm frame and the wires in the kit were about 6" too long - I just folded them back on themselves and secured them with zipties...... The wires are the same
size as those with my Mity 3 but they are more flexible and delicate. Still - they work and with a carefull install should be alright in even the roughest use.

FYI I don't use the speed function - my GPS gives me that. All I need from the computer is cadence. I use the cadence and riding time display. My GPS gives me speed, tripmeter, odometer, average speed, max speed, rate of ascent, descent, altitude, heading and a moving map.....nice but expensive ($339.95)!

Favorite Trail:   Colfax blvd

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle, Denver, CO

Similar Products Used:   Mity 3

Bike Setup:   Bianchi 12 speed road racer

Submitted by Chi a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    All the basic stuff plus cadence.

Weaknesses:    Wiring harness, wire too short or too long for frame, number of simultaneous function displays.

Bottom Line:
I have used this computer for more than 6 months now and it's a bargain for me so far. With the cadence function, it gives me an idea of how I am performing, esp. when power output is high and I need to reach a certain RPM to avoid hammering my knees. I ride my mountain bike on the road a lot. Since it's water resistant, I haven't had any problems with water. The most stringent test I took it on was a rainy trail up this hill in mud and dirt. The two buttons got stuck, but I was able to clean it out with some very unorthodox methods. It works great now.

Like a previous reviewer said, being able to reset this computer with one hand is a plus.

But the sensors and wiring seem flimsy, esp. the cadence sensor, due to this position. I have broken the sensor twice (repaired it once) on the commuter train, and I finally threw the clamp away and resorted to some zip ties to maintain the sensor's position.

Crank and wheel magnets are mounted very securely. The manual mentions that the wheel magnet will not be able to mount on bladed spokes, and that a adapter is available for such setups.

Like I said before, I've taken it off-road, and it does perform. I'd appreciate a larger insulation for the wire, but so far I haven't had problems. The display window only displays two functions on my model, but I think the new '04 model displays more functions at once.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere away from everything

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000 MTB

Submitted by Aram a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    Small, Cheap, CADENCE!

Weaknesses:    Lightweight. Not for off road use. Crankarm sensor attachment was a joke...

Bottom Line:
I spent an hour setting up the sensors when I realized that the crank arm sensor was never going to stay in place and would be a constant source of anxiety. I threw in the towl right then and never took it out for a ride.
I will return it as PB has an excellent policy on returns. I am considering the ENDURO instead, and giving up cadence.
I'll just have to count!

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   Street Trail mutation

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2002

Strengths:    Has cadance, and rear wheel capability. Excellent for trainer.

Weaknesses:    Crappy display. You can only see MPH and one other item. I have yet to figure out how to set the odometer to the bike mileage. Didnt like the magnet mount for the crank either. The whole setup was a royal pain on my 2001 M4 frame. But in all they seem to work just fine afterwords. Very touchy when there not very close to the magnet

Bottom Line:
Trainer use only. I cant not see myself using only two options for display when only one is changeable. Speed is fine however I like to Review Speed, and Avg Speed to conferm where I am currently riding at. On a trainer RPM is more of the Key. Due to the crappy Rear wheel and crank wiring setup I dont think I would trust this on the trail. There is to much going on to get caught up. And with a short magnet to pickup you have to be carefull let alone they mount to the bottom of the frame.

All in All if you have a trainer I recommend this cheap unit. But buy on ebay or cheaper. I wanted to ride my new trainer that day so a local bike store was a little expensive. But everything there is. But hey I wanted it then so i cant complain to much.

You cant find cadence at a much cheaper price.

NOT FOR TRAIL USE..SUCKS FOR TRAIL