Bell 8 Computer

2.8/5 (25 Reviews)

Bell 8

Submitted by Jonathon Lall a Racer from Kweenz NY

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2006

Strengths:    Really holds up. it did fall off, but that was because I hadnt
heard the SNAP sound that it makes when its on fully. many functions. holds up great when your bike flips(that hurt), after some retard lady runs you off the road wit her minivan.

Weaknesses:    took a while to install(fork clamp was hard to adjust and difficult to line up 1/6 from the wheel. slow response to acceleration.

Bottom Line:
Great value.
Bad for true trail riding, but street biker and BMXers like me should not be its enemy.
Does require careful installation.

Favorite Trail:   Straight up streetz

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, much better for 17 dollars more.

Bike Setup:   '04 MongoosePro Motivator. no chaingaurd(bent arter a bad crash), ipod auxilary setup with lightweight presidian radioshack speakers.

Submitted by Brad Sims a Weekend Warrior from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2005

Strengths:    Inexpensive, easy to install

Weaknesses:    Cheaply made, difficult to read

Bottom Line:
I already thought it was kind of difficult to read, but it got worse. One day after I had had the computer for about 6 weeks, I got my bike out of the garage and the lense on the display was so clouded I couldn't even read the larger numbers on the display. We had many 100 degree days, but this comp was never left outside or in the sunshine. I have never had one do that before and I thought that was a defect. If yours does this, here is how I fixed it. First I used a metal polisher that was already impregnated into the cotton. I used Nevr-Dull, but glitz would probably work as well. Then I followed up polishing it with toothpaste with my finger. It didn't make it perfect, but it polished it well enough to be seen again clearly.

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   Bicycle computers from avocet, cateye, and others.

Bike Setup:   Cyclocross bike used mainly on the road

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2004

Strengths:    cost, durable

Weaknesses:    hard to read

Bottom Line:
unit easy to put on, it's durable(I have over 2000 miles on it) It's hard to read. Lthe price is hard to beat.

Similar Products Used:   Schwin

Bike Setup:   trek

Submitted by Guy from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive, 8 modes cover most one needs

Weaknesses:    Delayed speed reading, clips out too easily, connections loose

Bottom Line:
This computer would be ideal for a person who rides street only. Also if you are not too concerned about a major delay in time for speeds to register then this would be ok. For the price it is decent but for offroad try another product. Mine came out of the base and was lost on the trail.

Submitted by Dan H a Weekend Warrior from Issaquah, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to read. Enough functions for me. Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    It does fall off or disconnect from the contacts easily. So far it has only happened when I leaned into the handlebars. Instruction manual is weak but useful. It is not waterproof, so if you take it out in the rain you need to wrap it in plastic. The average speed function is inacurate!!! When I do the math (divide the trip distance by the trip time) it can be right on, or it can be off by as much as 5%. Error seems to be random. I can find no way to contact Bell to inform them of this bug. Sensor needs to be adjusted periodically. Threads on sensor clamp are weak.

Bottom Line:
Cycling is a brand new ballgame since I started using a cycle computer. It makes cycling a lot more interesting to me. If you can't or don't want to spend much, this is an adequate entry level unit. If you can afford another $10 to $20, I'd recommend getting into something more reliable. Look around at on this site for similar products.

Favorite Trail:   Burke-Gilman

Purchased At:   Fred Meyer

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Ranger

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    Good value

Bottom Line:
Computer does well for me. No problems falling off. Make sure you push it onto the mount until it clicks into place. Used in the rain and it still worked. Wires are kind of thin so expect them to break at some point. Easy to read and easy to use.

Favorite Trail:   Pavement, OP Schnabel

Purchased At:   Academy Sports

Similar Products Used:   Vetta

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper

Submitted by Mada Darveau a Racer from Québec, PQ, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Best price I have found! It is easy to install and easy to read. That's it!

Weaknesses:    It comes off easily, I dropped it once and it was done for my bell! I replace it and after 60 mile it stopped!

Bottom Line:
I'm looking for somethig else!

Purchased At:   Canadian Tire

Similar Products Used:   I hope there is no others like it

Bike Setup:   TREK 1000

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, Easy to read, plenty of functions

Weaknesses:    bad directions, Comes off handlebar easily

Bottom Line:
For the price it is o.k. but there are better ones out there

Purchased At:   Wal mart

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz heckler (soon)

Submitted by Chriso a Weekend Warrior from Aurora Il

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap. $40+ won't cut it. This was about the right price. Slightly larger display than my riding buddies' 'puters. I found it easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Skinny little wires, will break soon. The sun hits the display and it can't be read. Needs a light (they all do).

Bottom Line:
I ride a river trail to and from work. This is what I needed. I went over the wires running up the fork with Kapton tape so it won't snag. For the people who ride easy, or are tight on cash,(why do all bike add ons cost $40?) go for it. The case is roomy enough to add a small LED for night rides, BTW.

Purchased At:   Mart of WAL

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 700, with the occasional jet engine on the rear rack.

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from catonsville

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    the cost and esay assembily

Weaknesses:    the handle bar mount did not fit tight

Bottom Line:
it is a good buy if u can find a way to keep it on the handle bar

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   cateye mity 3

Bike Setup:   trek 820

Submitted by Bob Grzib a Weekend Warrior from Woodbury NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    Low price, relatively easy to install, enough functions for my limited use, uses standard round camera-type battery, easily removable from bike(also a weakness.)

Weaknesses:    Computer doesn't lock onto bar mount very well, not especially pretty. Resetting the trip odo is also a little tricky the first time (unless you have the manual handy.)

Bottom Line:
Low price, easy to use, relatively accurate, won't win any beauty prizes though. I can also see how this product would not be the most appropriate one for the more hardcore offroader. But for the rest of us it's available through mass merchandisers for under $20, so there's no reason not to know how far, how fast, or how long you've gone!

Favorite Trail:   Lehigh Gorge

Purchased At:   Target

Bike Setup:   Specialized HardRock FS, Serfas Deep Groove Seat, Specialized Comp Tires

Submitted by Amy a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City Mo

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Strengths:    Low Price. Purple Color. Nice Display. Easy to install. Buttons are easy to reach

Weaknesses:    Cannot reset trip odometer. Cloogy computer bracket. Computer comes off too easy. Way too easy.

Bottom Line:
This is an ok computer. Cheap price. I purchased a really swanky purple one.

On my third day of use, the computer fell off. You would think that it would be easy to find a bright purple computer amongst fall colors. No such luck.

Didn't Bell test this thing in the real world before they mass produced the prototypes? Good grief, the thing was lost in under 8 hours of riding (16 miles last time I looked) by a novice!

Would I buy one again? Nope. Would I recommend it? Well, it is a nice computer, just make sure you permanently glue or tape the thing on your bike. Otherwise, put your phone number on it.

I am only giving this thing one chili as something so simple as proper connection should have been fixed before mass-production. Hey Bell, you owe me dinner.

Purchased At:   Wally World

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Stock yellow (hooray) Univega 500

Submitted by Rich from Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    This unit works OK. It isn't the most attractive I've seen, but it works better and has more features than a Sigma Sport BC 401 I also have and it is easier to install and seems to be more rugged too. A good unit for the price. It's available at Wal-Mart, so it's easy to get for a good price.

Weaknesses:    Could use a better way to connect the unit to the sensor. The 2 conductor cord is easily damaged. I haven't had that happen yet, it's almost inevetable.

Bottom Line:
If you want one, this one is worth the cost and won't be hard to find.

Purchased At:   AIR FORCE BX

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Sport BC401

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M40.

Submitted by David B. a Cross Country Rider from TN

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    8 functions, price, lookes good, you can take it of bike when not in use, easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    Speed feedout is slow, unit wont stay seated: the second day I had it, it fell off and got scuffed up.

Bottom Line:
Ok, This is a very decent computer for the price. Put a peice of black tape on the inside of the mount and look down a few secounds slow to see how fast you just WENT and you will be ok. This isnt much of a hassle for the money saved!

Favorite Trail:   Amaha Rim

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   2000 KHS Alite 4000, full XT, Thompson seat post/stem, Pyslo SL fork Mavic X517 wheelset, WTB velocirapter tires F&R/ SST TI leather saddle

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Antelope, CA.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    Well, it looked better than some...

Weaknesses:    The mount on the fork is very weak. Not big enough for larger forks.

Bottom Line:
Bought from Sears because it was 50% off all bike stuff. Would not have paid normal price of 26.00 for this computer. The set-up is poor quality. I already tore the wire somehow. Will not replace with same brand.

Favorite Trail:   Not telling