Avocet 50 Computer

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Avocet 50

Submitted by Eric Mosher from Northridge, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    Altimeter is a plus! Lots of funtions. Very nice size display. Durable housing, and water tight!

Weaknesses:    Loss on data when battery dies. Battery life seems short.

Bottom Line:
The Avocet Altimeter 50 is a pretty rock solid computer in its time. You can take a big spill, and it will keep on working. It would be nice to enter in your total distance again after the batteries die and you have replaced them. A PC download/upload would be nice. A back-light display would be nice too, however this would use up even more battery juice.

Favorite Trail:   La Tuna Canyon

Purchased At:   Newberry Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Not too hard to install

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    Altitude feature is awesome.

Weaknesses:    When it was new I got false readings for speed 76mph. haven't got false readings in 3 years. Could use backlight

Bottom Line:
Cool Product I've had it for over 5 years. Eats batteries every 8 months.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Speedzone

Submitted by Emilio Blok a Cross Country Rider from Rotterdam Holland

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Strengths:    Altimeter works very good

Weaknesses:    Lasted just 1 year

Bottom Line:
This is a very good computer. The altimeter works very good.
1 thing: in Holland we have very much airpressure changes, so I had t callibrate it often. After a year of use, the computer started to eat batteries: He consumed 1 pair of batteries in a week! Too bad the guarrantee had expired. I didn't want to spend so much money again, so I bought a Catey Mity 3.

Bike Setup:   Scott Boulder '91

Submitted by Neil Cavanagh a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Strengths:
Altitude. Total climbs per ride

Weaknesses:
Expensive

Bottom Line:
loved it. Until it started throwing fits. Now after 3 years, when you go above about 30mph the speed goes screwy. Suddenly your doing 80mph, then 50, then 10 then 80 again. Screws up the max. speed read out, which is most important for those bottom of descent comparisons with friends.

more than 3 years

Submitted by Francisco Garza a racer from Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

I like this computer, I have it for more than two years. The problem I see are the batteries holder doesnt work, you have to tape or you will loose the cap, batteries and reset data. Batteries dont last too much. Individual reset for each parameter is a good feature. In general is altitude a good mark to check specially in MTB.I would like to see an upgraded unit.

Submitted by Otto Martinez a weekend warrior from Valencia, CA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had a Model 50 for seven years, and it works great. Accurate (runs very close to my Casio altimeter watch readings), dependable. Batteries last only 6-10 months, though.

Submitted by john a cross-country rider from Penna.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1996

Bottom Line:

Model 50
I developed a problem after 8 months of the speed function kept accumulating even though the unit was off the mount. Anyone else? I liked the altitude function. I don't know if I'd buy another.

Submitted by Darin Chester a weekend warrior from W. Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have the Avocet 50 and it works well. Especially when its calibrated right. Its great for the altimeter option, helps when youre climbing and dont know the exact elevation (within a couple hundred feet). I took it on a ride one day and forgot to re calibrate it cause i got new tires and the max speed said 85 mph, so make sure you calibrate it correctly. It helped me in MOAB thats for sure. It does need a light though.

Fool's Gold 50

Anyone wanna sell their spot??Read More »

Tires for Vermont 50 & Other East Coast Endurance Events

If conditions are dry (as in it has not rained significantly for a good week or more), is anyone swapping out their day to day tires for endurance events in the NorthEast? I typically ride Specialized Purgatories. I have nothing to compare it to other then Nbby Nics which I found SLOW. Just w ... Read More »