Avocet 45 Computer

3.66/5 (44 Reviews)

Avocet 45

Submitted by Paul a Racer from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    I currently have 4, in the past destroyed 2 (Incidents with a tree, and a boulder). Low profile. Large display, Posi-click buttons, simple screen navigation and installation. Quick and easy to find the most pertinent information. Three main views - Time, Speed, Distance. Cadence/Gear inch option. Relatively waterproof. One of my favorites.

Weaknesses:    Cadence fails in the slightest rainfall. Wired. Battery life. Wired pick up sensor doesn't fit modern frames.

Bottom Line:
No computer is perfect. I bought my first 45tt back in '94? Whatever, whenever they first came out. Wiring harness was designed for steel framed road bikes.
Positioning the pick up on the frame/fork can be challenging. I've had to be a little creative in mounting both the magnet and pick up sensor - especially on the TT bike. Hub mount magnet works with bladed spokes - need accesories for disc/TT wheels.

Most computer speed/distance errors are because of magnet/sensor positioning. I haven't had CPU errors like other reviewers, but I've owed 6 units - 4 current, 2 destroyed by impact related incidents. (My collar bone is fine, thanks for wondering). Most of my problems have been rememidied by replacing the wired pick up, or adjusting the sensor position.

Yes, the computer says use the 675 Zinc/Oxide battery (2 year life - hah!) - but the waterproof computer doesn't allow enough oxygen to pass to the 675 battery - so you have to use a 357. I replace batteries on Jan 1, and again in July.

While becoming less easily available, it's still my favorite. Yes it lacks some of the data available on newer computers - it's simplicity is why I still use it.

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   Cyclosport, Specialized, VDO, Cateye

Bike Setup:   yeah,whatever... multiple: road, mtn, CX, you get the drill. Several bikes... No wife or kids.

Submitted by Anthony from Riverside, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Solid feel, If you get a good one, it will last forever.

Weaknesses:    Inconsistent quality.

Bottom Line:
I originally owned an Avocet 25, it lasted about 2 years with no problems whatsoever. After it was damaged in an accident, I purchased an Avocet 35. It lasted about 2 months before it died. It was soon replaced through warranty services with an Avocet 45, which consequently lasted about 9 months. The "45" was then replaced through warranty services with a "45tt", which only lasted about 3 months, at which point, the warranty was up.

In the meantime, my neighbor up the street has used a "45: for 2 years without any problems. This makes me wonder about their quality control. If you get a good one, it may last forever, but it seems like the odds of this happening are slim.

Buyers proceed with caution!

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Northern, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2004

Strengths:    Compact Design, Large disply for compact Design, Mounting hardware

Weaknesses:    I had two and both worked for a short time and both simply stopped working. This is with new a battery.

Bottom Line:
There are simply too many options when it comes to cycle computers. Avocet worked will at first, but simply malfunctioned at the end. DO NOT BUY!

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Many

Submitted by Richard Zhang a Weekend Warrior from Shanghai, China

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    Accurate, lots of features, small size and pretty

Weaknesses:    Eats battery, LCD display is not reliable

Bottom Line:
Since one of my US friend gave me one Avocet 15 as a gift about 10 years ago, I'm in love with it, I rode my bike to work for several years just because of it. I bought my current Avocet 45tt in San Francisco about 7 years ago, compairing the prices you guys paid, I found $115.- is way too high! But it's much better than the 15! I like its accuracy and dual display (Current Speed with Avg. Speed, for example, is my favorite combination).
Since I bought my first car about 5 years ago, I left my Avocet alone for about 5 years, meanwhile, the battery leaks, and the computer was almost dead when I found it in my drawer 2 months ago (missing / random LCD or sometimes totally dead), but my Avocet 15, whose' battery also leaks, worked immediately after I installed a new battery.
It took me 2 weeks to repair my 45tt, first I tried some electronic contact cleaner (spray), but it only worked for several days before it died again, then I suspect the rubber conductor between the PCB board and the LCD failed, but it was not - I installed the suspected rubber into my 15, and it worked (in fact, one rubber conductor works well even after I tore it apart accidentally). But just before I was about to throw it away, it worked again after I carefully cleaned every possible short-circuits on the PC board and the contacts to the rubber conductor (both on the PCB and LCD panel), You could imagine how happy I was! (it would be a pain to go back to the old Avocet 15 if you've tried a 45tt)
Now I noticed the battery life issue, the old manual recommends 675 Zinc-Air batteries, but it's usually for hearing aids and it's hard to find (it's a 600mAH battery), and no wonder I didn't noticed this when my 45tt is new with it's Avocet 675 battery, and I noticed that the new manual don't recommend this type of battery any more. The common alkaline LR44 or A76 batteries most common here in China (110mAH) only last for 1 month if you do not set the 45tt to SLEEP after each use, and you lost your calibration and total distance! A SR44 or 357 Silver Oxide (165mAH) should be a littel bit better. The 2 year battery life on the manual could be misleading unless the hardware is different now.
But if you're a serious rider who require that kind of accuracy (accurate even at 5KM/H) and all those riding information (average, max speed, riding time), the 45tt is great, the battery life is an issue, and be sure to write down your total distance and calibration number often, you'll need this when the battery dies again.

Purchased At:   San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 15

Bike Setup:   Moutain Bikes

Submitted by Steven Fisher a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Simple interface, small, decent price.

Weaknesses:    After about a year the left button stopped responding 75% of the time making use fairly difficult. Of course the cadence also has reliability issues in the rain. Lack of dual bike support is a pain.

Bottom Line:
Reliability seems to go down pretty quick, starting out with problems in rain and eventually the left button wouldn't work no matter what. The 45TT would be a good value if the cadence worked, but for a little more money products like the Vetta VT100 have a *lot* more to offer. Hopefully it'll also be more reliable. Anymore I can't think of a good reason to buy this.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta VT100.

Submitted by G Man a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    The Avocet 45 is a wonderful cyclometer. It has lasted me for years and years and functions well beyond what'd I'd expect for such a small package. It is pretty weatherproof (this is Seattle), rugged (I've smacked it, dropped it down stairs, etc), cool looking, has a great display, and is easier to use than a doorbell.

Weaknesses:    I have noticed that I need to replace the battery about once a year, perhaps more often.

Bottom Line:
It don't get better than this. Functionality, value, performance, looks (it's sexy on your handlebar). Besides, it's a great way to find a date (Soooo, what's YOUR cadence?)

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gary '98 Hoo Koo E Koo (best bike in the world, ever, period).

Submitted by Steven Fisher a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Simple interface, replacement parts (like for a second set of wheels) are cheap, buttons have a solid feel.

Weaknesses:    Every time it rains, the cadence stops working for me. The rear wheel speed sensor can be difficult to mount on full suspension bikes.

Bottom Line:
It's simple and affordable, but since I can't get the cadence to work in the rain I'll probably end up ditching it. As long as it's not raining it's pretty reliable. It would also be nice to have 3 statistics at once instead of just 2 and the ability to use a heart rate monitor.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Strengths:    Great altitude - it's always right on!

Weaknesses:    Auto shutoff - mine stays on all the time & EATS batteries. I'm lucky to get six months on a pair.

Bottom Line:
Great computer, except for the battery issue. It's the best computer I've had.

Favorite Trail:   Carbon Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Earlier Avocet models

Bike Setup:   Front-suspended Giant ATX 870, then moved up to a fully-suspended K2 Proflex three years ago.

Submitted by Royal Tannenbaum a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    The only computer I know that mounts to the rear wheel hub. This is important for me because I also have a bike trainer and like my computer to be functional whether I'm on the trail or using my trainer.

Weaknesses:    Battery Life - if you don't plan to use it for several weeks or months - you should put it in sleep mode.

Cadence magnet mount is fragile. It mounts to the crankarm. I lost it after about one month of use. I must have scrubbed it off with my shoe while pedalling.

Bottom Line:
The loser who made the review below obviously doesn't realize that computers don't work without power. You can't fault a computer for poor performance if the battery dies.

In my experience, the Avocet 45tt is a pretty reliable computer. Despite the weaknesses stated above, it has all the functions I need (Max, Average, Current speed, Time, Estimated Riding Time, Countdown stopwatch, Cadence meter). It also only requires one battery to work (some require two) and the Avocet has a good display despite its small size.

Again, the best feature is the fact that it is a rear wheel mounted computer. This is handy if you have an indoor trainer and want the computer to work while training at home.

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar wireless piece of crap, Old Paramount/Schwinn computer (that was great until I broke it)

Submitted by Greg Loder a Cross Country Rider from North Royalton

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Strengths:    Appeared durable and worked fine at first.

Weaknesses:    After the battery went dead, the computer went dead. This happen on two Avocet 45 Computers.

Bottom Line:
You pay a premium for this computer and then it takes a dump after the battery goes bad. Seems like the biking industries first disposable computer. DON'T BUY. LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike, Cat Eye, & Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Two Mountain bikes.

Submitted by Jonathan Zook a Racer from Aurora, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great form factor and easy to use. Easy to setup, and great looking. Not at all bulky.

Weaknesses:    Computer flaked out when the battery started to go bad. Would read really high, then really low speeds in an instant. Finally went dead. I replaced the battery, but the issue continued. I have now sent it back to Avocet for warrantee repair/replacement. I'm awaiting its return.

Bottom Line:
I'm a bit disappointed with the unit based on the issue above written in the "Weaknesses" field. I really like the look and feel of the Avocet, and have used their products a long time. I have gone back to my Avocet 40 on the bike, but w/o the sleep mode, the battery drains quickly. It continues to work flawlessly, so I'm hoping the 45 will do the same.

I will give the replacement a chance to enlighten me again to their products, but if it continues to fail, I'll look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Pro Peleton

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 40, Vetta, Cateye

Bike Setup:   Custom steel frame w/campy record

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent computer and good visible screen

Bottom Line:
I have this one from 1991 and he is still running, that you will have to change the battery is normal after during 2 years. It still works great. This is a review about the Avocet 40!!! I have also the 25/45 on other bikes and they work great as well. The mounting is good enough for rough rides in trails. Maybe i am a lucky guy but i don't get it that many riders loose their Avocet.

Favorite Trail:   Kaprun