Avocet 35 Computer

2.72/5 (25 Reviews)

Avocet 35

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Renton, Wa

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Strengths:    very acurate

Weaknesses:    overengineered mounting and speed sensor, display fades out and turns black, computer is hard to install on the mounting bracket, almost impossible to memorize the function of the buttons.

Bottom Line:
This product is not very good. The wheel sensor and ring did not fit my bike well and probably would not fit many bikes well. The mounting bracket deforms when it is tightened to the handle bar making it very difficult to install the computer. On several cold rainy rides the screen started turning black but did return to normal later. The two buttons in combination with the fact that the the screen only diplays one function at a time makes using the computer difficult. Much better computers can be had for 2/3 the price.

Similar Products Used:   Sigma sport BC 1200

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Submitted by Leon Fu a Racer from Randolph, NJ

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Strengths:    Small, light, simple to use.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable. Doesn't seem water resistant. Doesn't mount correctly on certain forks.

Bottom Line:
I am on my 3rd units. These computers are unreliable. They don't seem to stand up well to the rain. The first unit I had must have short circuit. At first I thought the battery died, but when I replaced it, it drained it in 2 weeks. I sent that one in for warrenty. The second one lasted less than a year and then the left button stopped working! The 3rd unit (also covered under warrenty) I had wasn't displaying the right speed even though I calibrated the wheel circumfrance correctly.

I finally gave up and bought a $20 Cateye Mitty 3 from Performance Bike. So far so good.

Purchased At:   Bike Stand, Scotch Plains

Similar Products Used:   Cateye's

Bike Setup:   Jamis Eclipse '99

Submitted by Francis a Cross Country Rider from BC Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Nice display, colour, Good functions, I like it, precise. I like the solidity of the mounting. I do lots of on road and serios off road riding and it stands up to it.

Weaknesses:    The mounting system. I couldnt mount it on my old bike so it stayed in the box for two years. I have a new one now it has worked so far for the last few weeks. I couldn't put it on my Rock Shox Jetts though , I had to buy a rear mount system. There is a funny white bit at the side of the screen, but it might be from when I accidentally dropped it.

Bottom Line:
It works well, but it needs a new mounting system. I do like it much.

Favorite Trail:   My Trail

Purchased At:   Christmas Gift

Similar Products Used:   NONE!!!!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin
Rock Shox Jetts
I do lots of on road and serios off road riding and it stands up to it. It is my buddy.

Submitted by Jesse Smith a Racer from Tucson

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    Variety of functions

Weaknesses:    Battery life.

Bottom Line:
I really liked the design of the functions. You can program in specific tire diameters, program in odometer miles after changing batteries, keeps an "all-time" max speed, trip odo, trip average speed. The buttons were well designed with posative feel. The disk magnet works well with road bikes, but I could see how it wouldn't be so hot for mountain bikes. I like the look of having a magnet close to the hub instead of mid-spoke positioning. The instructions were pretty good.
I had problems with what I think might have been battery life. The display would go dead, and I'd change the battery and it would work well. After a while the display would go dead. I'd take out the battery and clean it and the contacts with a pencil eraser and it would work for a while, then poop out again. I've had the same battery in a Cateye Enduro 2 for 4 years.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Lemmon

Purchased At:   Full Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro 2, VDO Sprint Plus

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by SFA a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Strengths:    Uhhh no

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
This thing is a piece. The magnet doesnt fit any hubs right. The sensor won't fit any phat forks. It is now in many pieces in many places that I dont know of (I don't really care either) It's just a really big pain in the ass. Doesn't work when riding fast on trails. Good for nothing garbage. I could go on but I leave you with 1 flaming piece o'crap.

Favorite Trail:   bike show

Similar Products Used:   dont bother with these pieces anymore

Bike Setup:   specialized

Submitted by Dom a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    Longevity
Ease of use
Clear readout

Weaknesses:    Initial Setup

Bottom Line:
Had this for 5 years and never a problem. Circular hub magnet stays put and works when wet, muddy, whatever. It does speed, distance, average speed and there's a timer. What else could you want?
For cost/longevity it gets five dead robins. Only problem is I forgot how to calibrate it if ever I change tyres.

Bike Setup:   Kona Mokomoko
Marzocchi z2 Abomb

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, FL

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Strengths:
easy to use, large display, you can reset individual read outs or all at once, cool colors

Weaknesses:
EVERYTHING ELSE!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! The display goes bad after a while and it often reads 0.0 when your riding. It works when it wants to.

Bottom Line:
When I first got it, it worked great...for about 45 miles, then it reset for the first time. I figured out if I left it on the bike (hoping it would get stolen if I parked it) It wouldn't reset. Everything was fine for a few more hundred miles (just a few weeks for the amount I ride) and then the display went bad...It just quit working. I replaced the battery and it worked better for about a week, then it cut off again. So it was finally retired (after 6 months and about 750 miles).Foolishly, when I got my new bike in June, (before the first one died for good) I got another Avocet 35 because I thought it would be good if the 2 bikes could share computers. The replacement's display hasn't worn out yet, but it also is very finicky about working. It seems the sensor has a hard time reading the magnet on the hub. It's really a piece of crap. I'm tired of writing about it because it's making me more upset. If I could give it 0 blazing horses or whatever they are, I would. So I'll give it one. I've had the Sigma 800 ever since I had to replace the first Avocet 35 and it works well aside from the cord snapping yesterday...guess I have to go wireless now.

Santos

6 months

Sigma 800...Like it but the cord snapped yesterday. :(

Gary Fisher Hoo Koo & Joshua F3

Submitted by Tom Doyle a Weekend Warrior from South San Francisco, California

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1999

Strengths:
Large display, simple to use.

Weaknesses:
Magnet/sensor mounting is akward.

Bottom Line:
Had to trash this computer recently. The display faded to the point where I thought that the battery had died, but when I put in a fresh one, the same thing happened. It got to the point where no matter how many times I changed the battery, the display would last no longer than 1 hour. Also the fork mounting of the magnet/sensor is really wierd. It mounts down near the hub, and was not very secure on my bike. I had to use some grip tape to keep the sensor in place, and even then sometimes I was not getting any reading at all. I really don't think that this product should be marketed for MTB riders. It just cannot take the G-shock punishment of MTB riding. It's unfortunate, because I really liked the unit at first. Due to the display problem, I switched to the Cateye Enduro 2. I've had it for 3 weeks now, and it seems to be designed to take a bit more punishment.

Montara Mountain

Cateye Enduro 2

Novara Alight, Rock Shock Jett XC

Submitted by MTBikerJM a Cross-Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to view display.
Easy to use buttons.

Weaknesses:
Display does not last for more than one ride. Battery or display is burnt out. I've gone through 3 warranty returns already. All of them have the same problem.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this computer to anyone and am in the market for a new one, since I'm getting my money back (if I can) for this piece of crap. Giving it two chilis only because the one on my road bike has lasted this long and that's why I decided to get one for my MTB.

1 Year

Performance Axiom 8 (also sucks).

I have two of these computers. One for my road bike, which I've had for over a year. And one on my new mountain bike, which I've had since early June. The new one is giving me all of the problems. The one on the road bike is just fine.

Submitted by PE a Cross-Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1999

Strengths:
easy to read display, pretty simple to use

Weaknesses:
1)the hub mounting feature. I have a specialized stout hub which made for difficult installation. Had to zip tie the thing on. After a year of riding the magnet has cut a groove into my fork leg. Not too happy with that.
2)bar mount- hard as hell to pull the computer off the mounting bracket.
3)Computer is very inconsistent. with the original battery it was better but still had problems. I'd be cruising down a hill prabably going close to 20mph and the computer would register my speed at 4mph. Sometimes it would just stop functioning all together. the inconsistency got me fed up and so I removed the unit and pitched it.

Bottom Line:
The mounting units could use some redesign. If the unit is working properly no problems but the inconsistency in the readings can really get to you.

poto

'97 Spec. Stumpjumper Comp with RS Judy XC

Submitted by David a Racer from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1999

Strengths:
All of the right functions.

Weaknesses:
Hub-fork mount.

Bottom Line:
While it worked, it was very nice. No problems at all. Then the hub ring started to pop off whenever I put my wheel on my bike, which for some very odd reason screwed the whole computer up. It won't come on all of the time, and when it does, speeds aren't accurate. I liked my 15 much better, but it didn't have enough functions. A new design for the transmiter would make this the perfect computer.

3 months

Avocet 15

Specialized M2 Pro, SX Ti

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Strengths:
Simple, easy to read

Weaknesses:
After 1 year, the unit resets itself almost every ride, when I simply try to reset the stopwatch function. Therefore I lost my accumulated mileage.

Bottom Line:
I liked it while it worked, and it should have worked alot longer, it is not complcated technology.

Avocet, other models

Voodoo Bizango
Rock Shox SID

Submitted by Sky a cross-country rider from Seneca Falls NY

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like the 35 generally, it's been reliable. I also like the pace arrow thing. The only problem I had was a coupla years ago one of the buttons quit working and it took 3 monthes for the factory to fix it. What's with that? Also the magnet ring is kind odd.

Submitted by Keith Crosier a weekend warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had my 35 for about a couple of years. It works well in all conditions, does what I need, and has been reliable. But ... (i) it was hell's own delight, as we say hereabouts, fixing the sensor to my new Rock Shox and there are no Avocet dealers anywhere in the UK any more, who might be able to supply or order an adaptor (ii) Avocet HQ don't answer e-mails or faxes (iii)as another reviewer remarks, you'll just about pull the bars off trying to disengage the computer from its mounting. I suppose that means intending thieves will have the same problem. Philosophical, we Scots.

Submitted by Paul Tam from Cupertino, CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the computer for over a year and it works well and had no complaints, but I got a new bike this year with Mavic Crossland wheels and the magnet does not attach to the hub very well. I wish Avocet made a magnet that attaches to the Crossland better.

30 vs 35 mm internal width

Hi, I'm looking at getting pair of Light Bicycle carbon rims for my Santa Cruz Bronson. I'm wondering what the general differences are between the 30 mm and 35 mm internal widths? I know the current trend is for wider and wider rims but is there a point of diminishing returns? I'm currently runn ... Read More »

IKON 2.35 on a sub 20mm rim?

been running ikon 2.2 F&R but have been thinking about trying 2.35's only catch is my wheels are sram rise 60's, inner width i believe is 19.5mm thoughts?Read More »

Trek 27.5" Tires 2.35 front, 2.20 rear? Why?

Why would trek put 2.35's on the front and 2.20's on the rear of all of the Fuel 650b models? Any particular reason for the different sizes?Read More »

The short, cheap bike trip that cost me six months and $35,000. With video!

Angle Fire bike park, 4th of july weekend. The park was pretty amazing, the've done a great job with the trails out there, but the majority of it was outside my comfort zone. I'm not a skilled jumper by any means, so alot of the thrill of riding this park wasn't there for me. But it doesn't mean ... Read More »

Does the Maxxis Ikon 2.35 fit aluminum 429?

Hi, I've got the newer 429 with the reduced tire clearance on the rear triangle. Anyone able to run a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 back there with enough room to spare? Thanks!Read More »