Avocet 25 Computer

3.94/5 (17 Reviews)

Avocet 25

Submitted by bobwemer a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    The buttons have a very hard and audible click. One doesn't accidentally push one. I have several of these computers and have been using Avocets since the early 1990s. I rode from L.A. to Boston this spring using one in all kinds of weather.

Weaknesses:    I would like another one for another bike but they are not available, now. When I contact the company they say "maybe next year". This is about the third year in a row that I have gotten that response from them ?????

Bottom Line:
In reading some of the other review complaints:

1. It does not matter where the sensor and magnet are mounted as the sensor counts one revolution whether the magnet is close to the hub or far out from the hub.

2. I have not had problems in the rain if the battery cover o-ring is in place.

3. If the computer is falling off easily, it is not completely seated. There is a hard click to completely seat it. If seated completely, it is hard to get past the click when removing. It will not fall off on its own. It has to be forced off.

4. A calibration factor can be experimentally determined or calculated for about any device one wants to mount the Avocet 25 on. Just determine the millimeters per wheel revolution and enter that number. I have been able to calibrate mine within 0.01 of a mile.

Similar Products Used:   Other types that have very wishy washy buttons and can be accidentally reset.

Bike Setup:   Road bike, mountain bike, tandem, spinner, Nordic Trak, and walk-behind lawn mower.

Submitted by Robert Wemer a Cross Country Rider from Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    I have described the strength in detail in another review.

Weaknesses:    Those who are having problems with the "waterproofness" of Avocet computers may be damaging or losing the rubber o-ring on the battery door when changing batteries. I have used Avocet computers in downpours without problems.

Bottom Line:
Avocet bike computers are the highest quality bike computers that that I have used. I love the "hard click" buttons. One doesn't accidently bump and push one. One knows when he has pushed a button.

This does not criticize the new breed of GPS computers. I have a Garmin Forerunner 201 which is fantastic but then it is much more than a standard bike computer.

Submitted by Robert Wemer from Montezuma, Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable. I like the hard to push buttons with the obvious click - one knows for sure that he has pushed a button. Have had no trouble riding in rain.

Bottom Line:
Have used Avocets for ~ 15 years. Have used all models with both the circular magnets and the single magnets. Both work great. I love the feel of the buttons.

Those who have a problem with the computer falling off must not be sliding the computer through the final "hard click" point at the end of the slide. It will slide on easily but the last 1/8" or so is a very hard click. Properly installed, an Avocet is very hard to start to slide off. One must first get it past that first 1/8" hard click.

Purchased At:   Mail order

Similar Products Used:   None. Other brands that I have looked at have very wishy washy buttons.

Bike Setup:   Road bikes, road tandem (spliced two computers in parallel on one sensor wire for front and rear riders), indoor spinner (two computers spliced together for speed/distance and cadence readout), nordic track, walk-behind commercial lawn mower. Have also adapted a second Avocet & sensor to crank arm on road bike for cadence read-out of instantaneous, average, and maximum cadence. One can figure our a calibration factor for about any application. One can get an initial calibration factor by tire size or rolling the tire. The calibration factor can then be fine-tuned by riding the bike a measured mile or more and calculating the % error to adjust the calibration factor by. I can fine tune mine to the nearest 1/100th of a mile.

Submitted by Glenn Vernes from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Can't think of any, to be honest.

Weaknesses:    Not sealed against water.

Bottom Line:
The one I had stopped working the first time it got wet. Inspection revealed why- the battery door was not sealed in any way. No O-ring, no wiper seal, nothing. This is totally unacceptable on something, like a bicycle, that is used outside. I only used it less than a month because it only lasted that long. Don't buy it.

Similar Products Used:   Various Cateyes (which all stank), Specialized Speedzone Comp (which works great). Vetta C10 (which lasted 9 years on a road bike)

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, Bomber Z1 Bam, XTR, Avid rim brakes, ceramic rims

Submitted by Garth Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Whittier, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    Good mount, withstood several drops without problems, water resistent, easy to operate

Weaknesses:    recent ones made in China have had problems with the mount and the sensor

Bottom Line:
I've bought five of these for various bikes (two for the tandem). The earlier ones we got that were made in Taiwan never had any problems. The last two were made in China, and have had several problems with the sensor going bad and with bad electrical connection at the mount. I won't get any more unless they quit making them in China.

The mounting method is very solid. I wonder if others who have said it fell out accidentally were too timid to push it hard enough to make it click in. It really takes a lot of pressure to get the computer on and off the mount. We've never had trouble with the 25 when it got wet either. I don't mind the hard-to-push buttons at all. (It's pretty typical to use the thumb anyway.) The buttons give a very definite click when you push them, so you don't have to wonder if you pushed it hard enough.

Favorite Trail:   anything not boring

Purchased At:   G's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Torelli

Bike Setup:   (four different bikes-- three road and one inexpensive MTB)

Submitted by David C. Menges a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, US

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Solid construction, intuitive operation, compact, easy to get parts

Weaknesses:    Wiring only average

Bottom Line:
Our family has 3 Avocets - a 30 and two 25s which are 13, 7, and 1 year(s) old respectively. The older two have had one wiring break apiece, both repaired at home.

I recently looked at Sigma's 600 and Cateye's Enduro II. The Sigma has nice numbers but flimsy wiring (only $10 at Nashbar though). The Cateye looks beefy, but it's operation is non-intuitive and slow, and at $30 at the high end of what I'm willing to pay.

Funny that a 13+ year old design is still best. Nashbar sometimes has them on sale for $20. Parts are affordable and easy to find at www.avocet.com.

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Cateye

Bike Setup:   Trek 8700

Submitted by Adam Paternostro a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    looks, easy to read display, and easy to access functions

Weaknesses:    instructions stink, keys are too hard to press when mountain bike riding, resetting should be easy but likes to set itself into kilometers

Bottom Line:
I like the way it looks and for the price had the functions I wanted. The instructions are just down right terrible. The pictures that don't match the words and give a false example of how to install. I actually sent them an email telling them just how bad their instructions read. In addition the rubber device that is suppose to place the receiver close to the wheel is too small and I ended having to shimmy it. It might be a good product, but I'll never know since I probably do not have it install right. Also, the keys are hard to press for their size. Not that they are impossible to press, just take some effort and concentration, which I can't afford to spare while mountain biking. The next time I'll probably look around for something that is easier to use while riding and fits my bike better.

Who should buy it? People who like instructions that make you frustrated.

Favorite Trail:   local

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Unicoi w/XT w/SID

Submitted by DC Page a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
Large digits, dual display and independant stopwatch.

Weaknesses:
No quick release (as far as I can tell.)

Bottom Line:
The Avocet 25 bike computer has a strong durable case, reasonably thick cord, a well made and robust receiver and is water resistant for when you get unexpectedly caught in the rain (not tried, as I won't ride in the rain on purpose.)
Setup up was a bit of a problem as I wanted utmost accuracy. I inputted my tire and rim imformation easily enough. But I couldn't figure out where the transmitter (which attaches to the spoke) was supposed to be positioned.
One of the reasons I bought the Avocet is because it had the single magnet transmitter like the Shimano Flight Deck, which is the one I really wanted, but couldn't justify its cost. Another reason I liked the Avocet 25 was because transmitter replacements cost only $3 US.
However, I didn't find any instructions in the manual as to where on the spoke the magnet was to be placed. I mean, it could basically go anywhere. Close to the hub, or close to the rim wall with accuracy being potentially affected at both extremes. With a look at the approximate position in the manual's diagram, I finally just guessed and placed it about 3 cm from the 26 inch rim wall or closer to my brake pads than the hub.
My old CCM computer had the transmitter close to the hub, that's why I wasn't sure.
Anyhow, I'm fairly happy with it's current position as the accuracy comes very close to the distances measured in my car for similar trips. Accuracy is what I wanted, providing that using my car's odometer, (resettable thingy) is a decent indicator or benchmark for determining the valid readings of the Avocet. If it is. I'm close.
So it ended up that I can adjust the accuracy to within a 10m error per kilometre with this excellent product. With a bit of tinkering it can be adjusted to reflect the distance and speed indicators of any car, motorbike etc. (all of which should have similar readings anyhow.)
So. Buy this US made product if you want an accurate bike computer at a reasonable price. Since there's no quick release (as far as I know), and has been a bit of hassle for me to get to work, I'll give it a 4.

Seagram Trail

less than 1 month

CCM something (had quick release)

CCM Heat MTB with SR Suntour front suspension

Submitted by Jeremy a Racer from Springfield,MA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1999

Strengths:
this computer is very durable and can take a beating without losing info or doing damage to the screen or innards. the dispay is easy to read and has a lot of features for the money

Weaknesses:
The mount is not desingned very well, it comes off to easy. It looses information and gives saratic information when it is wet.

Bottom Line:
The computer is very durable but won't work well in the rain. The first time I rode it for an hour in the rain the next day it was fin, the second time it didn't work ever again no matter what ajustments me or my mechanic did. The mount could be better put together. It's a damn good piece of equiptment but don't chance it in the rain for too long it will turn into a useless piece of crap in less time than it took you to buy it. Otherwise it is well worth the money

1 Year

shimano flight deck

98 gary fisher with rock shox 99 sid's full XT with sram 9.0 sl rear derailer and shifters,XTR hubs on X517 rims DT spokes and niples

Submitted by Jon a Cross-Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: April 20, 1999

Strengths:
All the functions

Weaknesses:
Slides off too easily

Bottom Line:
The computer itself works wonderfully, for the $20.00 dollar pricetag I got it for it was a good deal. It has all the functions I really want and need at this point and seems very durable. Unfortunately I have only tested its durability due to the 25's one glaring weakness. Here in Utah a lot of the trails I ride are covered with loose rocks that can make for a bumpy ride. When I first started out with the computer it would lose its connection frequently from the jolting that the trail caused, although it never actually fell off. It did fall off fairly easily a couple of times when my bike accidently fell over. At any rate this problem quickly became a major nuisance so I went about resolving the problem. I found that by placing a single strip of black electricians tape over the mounting bracket where the computer slides on that subsequently the computer fits very snug and can still, albeit with a bit more effort, be slid on and off of the mounting bracket without trouble. Since doing this I have ridden on the same rough trails and haven't lost connection once. Fortunately my bike hasn't accidently fallen over anymore, but if it did I think the computer is snug enough that it still wouldn't come flying off. The loose fit problem would have easily kept the Avocet 25 from getting a perfect score, but because that problem is quickly, easily, and cheaply solved I can just as easily give it a five. The computer itself is great and at twenty bucks make it that much sweeter.

3 months

Submitted by John D a racer from Columbia, Maryland

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

This computer is reasonably priced, easy to use and has all of the functions that you really need. My major complaint is with the design of the mount. The mount is designed so that the computer can be easily removed from the mount and placed on another bike. Unfortunately, it can be removed too easily. So far I've lost 3 Avocet 25's on the trail from falls ranging from mild to moderate. There should be some way of positively locking the computer to the mount so that it doesn't fall off under moderate shock. 4 for the computer, 1 for the mount. I'll round it up to 3 overall.

Submitted by erik baier a weekend warrior from boston, ma

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

my wife bought me an avocet 25 last year. after fooling ith the placement on the spokes for correct mileage, and trying to learn it while riding, (no instructions) i think it is great. i have banged it a few times while crashing, had it pulled off from branches and it works o.k. as the battery dies, slowly, i get blank-outs on the screen.otherwise, a useful and rugged tool.

Submitted by dan garcia from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Purchased the Avocet 25 after reading the good reviews here, and I can say that it has met my expectations so far. Had a Vetta several years ago and liked it a lot, but worried after reading some other reviews about it. Very happy with the 25....easy installation and a several more features than the 15 version. Very durable, too.

Submitted by spoondadee a cross-country rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I figured that I could increase the number of NJ people to 75%. The avocet 25 is a sweet little machine. I think the respponse is good and it's not too difficult to fudge around with. The only thing I don't like is the fact that one can't set the total distance. Mine started to wig out and I just popped the dbattery off and put it back and everything was okay. But now I lost the 150 mi. total distance that I had. But if I really wanted that I guess I could have spent more money. This thing is pretty damn cool. The dual display rocks!

Submitted by scott a weekend warrior from new jersey

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

This computer does everything I need. I especially like the dual-display because you can watch your speed along with the clock. It just barely fit around my indy fork, but otherwise it is easy to install. I have no regrets for buying this computer. It is easy to click it off your bike when not riding so keep it inside during those cold winter nights

Replaced Suntour XCR and shaved off 1.25 lbs!

Just replaced my 29er stock Suntour XCR fork with a Rockshox Silver Recon Soloair TK and saved about 1.25lbs. While I am not one of those people that are obsessed with having a lighter bike, it was pleasantly surprised to see it. I have read how the Silver Recon is heavy and without knowing how ... Read More »

Mininion DHF 2ply 2.5 + Sun Ringle Inferno 25 - setup question

Even since I got my bike I was really disappointed with the stock tires : Schwalbe Hans Dampf in 2.35 , as I was getting pinch flats/snake bites almost each ride I went ( never run under 2 bar ,opposed to what they list as a 1.6 minimum) . Therefore I bought a pair of Maxxis Minions DHF in 2.5" d ... Read More »

swagman xc and 1.25" hitch question

using a 1.25" hitch but not sure on which hole to use on the swagman. I pushed the threaded part back for the right hole, then realized that the included threaded pin doesn't fit. so guessing I need to get the threaded part back where it was. my hitch has 1 hole and its 2" in. EDIT: nevermind, ... Read More »

7/25 tngr!!

well.... Its that time again! 6pm rubber hits the trail. hwy 9@ hwy 35. I had time to get my stuff together before work so I wont be 45 minutes late like last week... Sent by smoke signal.Read More »

Ikon (2.2 & 2.35 EXO) alternate to RaRa/NoNi (2.1/2.25 EVO)

This is for 26" version, Utah, DRY trail, some rocky sections, areas of buff turns with some small loose gravel (about 1 cm or less in size). The 26x2.2 Ikon (rear) is a good substitute for the 2.1 RaRa (rear). I wouldn't use it on the front. About the same size and grip as the 2.1 RaRa, the tre ... Read More »