Yakima WindJammer Bike Rack

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

This simple and inexpensive airfoil makes your Yakima rack virtually noise-free!. Airfoil shape smooths airflow over the middle of your bar, drastically reducing turbulence and eliminating wind noise. Snaps onto front crossbar, providing quick and easy installation. Only 8" wide, it easily fits between your accessories on the bar. Constructed with tough, UV-resistant PVC plastic.

Submitted by Nomadic1 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to attach. Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
My Yakima support bars turned my Jetta wagon into a roaring wind tunnel. Then I snapped on the Windjammer (in about 2 seconds) and suddenly all was quiet again. I love this thing! Plus, the Yakima sticker is easy to peel off.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Submitted by oddiophool a Cross Country Rider from Tri-Cities, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    It worked for me, without the fuss of setting up a complete fairing.

Weaknesses:    On the surface, one would say price; but if it works, I'd say it's a fair price considering ease of installation and—ultimately— effectiveness.

Bottom Line:
Worked for me. I had no issues with wind noise when driving my Passat Sportwagon, but when I put the rack on my Nissan Rogue, the howling began. I really didn't think this little device would solve that problem, but it did. A bit spendy for what it is, but absolutely worth the price when you consider the bang for buck factor.

Favorite Trail:   State patrol

Purchased At:   Sport Haus

Bike Setup:   Trance X3

Submitted by Mark from Enterprise, Alabama, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Small and compact. Does not affect the purpose of the rack. Actually looks cool!!

Weaknesses:    Cannot be locked onto bars. Easily stolen. Pricey for just a small piece of plastic.

Bottom Line:
The Yakima Windjammer is a great add on to my rack. I am very surprised that such a small item could work so well.I have a new Toyota FJ Crusier and the Yakima fairing doesnt work well on it. I saw the windjammer and thought i would give it a try. WOW!! is all I can say. I put 2 Windjammers on the front bar and ALL the wind noise was eleminated. I am adding 2 more to the rear bar just because i like the looks of the Windjammer. I give the Yakima Windjammer a two thumbs up!!

Submitted by Gilles a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to install and it works! Inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Easy to steal...

Bottom Line:
I recently switched cars and was not able to use my Yakima fairing. My car, a Mercedes E320 wagon, has factory rails on the roof and the fairing was too big. As a result, there was an infernal wind noise when driving at high speeds. I did some research and came upon the Wind Jammer. I also checked out MTBR reviews and concluded that people either loved these things or hated them.

So, I went to my local outdoor gear store, Bushtakah, and they carried the wind jammer. Before buying, I made sure to ask them if I could return it if it didn't work. They said no problem, you got 60 days. I figured I got nothing to lose and decided to give it a try. I installed it, which took like 15 seconds, and headed out on the highway. I immediately noticed a difference, it deadened the noise by quite a bit. At 110 km/h, it reduced the noise quite significantly (90%?). At 130 km/h, there was a little more noise but nothing like before. I also took my wife for a spin and she agreed was there was less noise. So, there you have it, it works on a Benz E320 wagon, even with the sunroof open!

Favorite Trail:   Powerline

Purchased At:   Bushtakah Outdoor Gear

Similar Products Used:   Yakima fairing

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS composite. XT rear derailleur with SRAM Rocket shifters, Mavic CrossMax XL with Kenda Blue Grooves.

Submitted by Dave from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    It does what it says it's supposed to do. Reduces wind noise by 90%.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't lock. Can be stolen easily.

Bottom Line:
I was sceptical at first that this would actually work. From what I have researched I guess it depends on the make and model of your vehicle. I have an 07 Mazda3, and this product works extremely well. Its only 8 inches in length so doesn't get in the way of your stuff on the rack. I even took my car just under 80mph to test the windjammer and could barely hear anything up above. Inexpensive fix to a very annoying problem. I highly recommend it!

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSRxc

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    Reduces wind howl by about 80% on my Acura TSX.

Weaknesses:    Introduced an intermittent whistle. Not nearly as load/annoying as the howl that it got rid of.

Bottom Line:
Well worth the $15 in my opinion. I'm too lazy to take off the rack when I drive on the highway, so this was a huge improvement. If only it improved fuel economy!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Original style Yakima fairing (worked better to reduce noise, but I didn't like the look!).

Submitted by KBA a Cross Country Rider from North Tahoe

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Effectiveness apparently varies based on vehicle

Bottom Line:
Felt like I had to chime in here on this one. Despite the claim by others that these don't work at all, I suspect that it's entirely dependant on your vehicle. I have a 94 Toyota 4Runner, and the minute I put one of these on front bar the howl was dramatically reduced. I purchased another (the q towers on my truck are pretty far apart) and place the two equally spaced on the front bar and eliminated the howl altogether. Makes no difference what I have mounted up there, they work well on my vehicle and they look cool too. 5 flaming chilis across the board. Thanks Yak.

Favorite Trail:   TC to Watson Lake to Western States

Bike Setup:   Trek in the mountains and Specialized for the Road

Submitted by Gale Crow a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, california, usa

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    promises...promises

Weaknesses:    doesn't work on my 2005 toyota matrix

Bottom Line:
Very disappointed. I have a new car toyota matrix and wanted racking for my bike and kayak but didn't want to have to take the rack off in order to have peace and quiet. Buyers beware, the Yakima roof rack can make a horrible vibration racket that will drive you bonkers. The outrageously priced little piece of plastic was no help in eliminating the painfully irritating vibration noise.