Yakima Super Joe Bike Rack

2.25/5 (20 Reviews)

This super mount delivers knockout ease and stability at a heroic price!. Carries 3 bikes with ease. Easy to install with Quick Trigger Hub system. Hold bikes firmly with integrated Stable Cradles. Solid fit to car with six-strap system; foam feet protect your car's finish. Fits broad range of vehicles: sedans, minivans and hatchbacks.

Submitted by John Brakeall

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Trash. The thing broke after about 5 uses. The red tab that is used to adjust randomly pulled out. I tried to fix it, but this thing isn't worth my time.

Bottom Line:
Junk.

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones 3

Bike Setup:   Scott Aspect 60
Cannondale R700

Submitted by Tess Knadler

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Not expensive, but you may need to buy a new bike after yours falls off the rack...

Weaknesses:    I agree with everyone who says those rubber straps are unreliable. This has nothing to do with how you install the rack. We lost a bike on the freeway this morning because the rubber straps we had SECURELY fastened came unhooked at 70 mph. It's a miracle no one was killed. I'll never use this rack again. DON'T BUY ONE.

Bottom Line:
It's a terrible feeling to have a bike fall off the rack and hit the center lane of the freeway at 70 mph. This was not due to operator error. The rubber straps that secure the bike to the rack can come unhooked at freeway speed.

Submitted by louthemathteacher a Cross Country Rider from Ocean County, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2011

Strengths:    fits many types of cars

Weaknesses:    straps release randomly, causing bikes to fall off and make babies (alright - maybe grown men) cry

Bottom Line:
It's cheap - and not worth risking your bike, and other people's lives over it. My friend lost his Schwinn Moab off of it the other day.

Favorite Trail:   Clayton County Park

Purchased At:   given to by a friend

Similar Products Used:   Different hitch style racks that worked much better.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Big Mike a Weekend Warrior from Forest Grove, Or. USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Ability to mount and dismount from car with ease. Light weight and durable.

Weaknesses:    Super Joe 3 is not the best "fit" for a small child size bicycle. I had to get creative loading my daughters 16in. bike. But lets be honest, this size bike creates a problem on just about all racks.

Bottom Line:
I feel the Yakima Co. made a great rack at an affordable price. It does what it is designed to do. I am very pleased.

Favorite Trail:   Fern Hill Wetlands

Purchased At:   Schleigels Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Expedition with a few mods.

Submitted by Lori P a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to use

Weaknesses:    Lost a bike on highway

Bottom Line:
The rubber bands that are used to secure the bikes can FAIL. we lost a bike at highway speeds without warning. Luckily, the bike ended up on shoulder w/o anyone hitting it. We are putting in a claim with Yakima, but wont' know for 2-3 months if they accept blame. It's poor design, not a technical failure.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Toly Molitvenik a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clarita, CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2007

Strengths:    Easy install, strong, good finish.

Weaknesses:    Straps get loose. No way to "really" tighten top two straps. Seemed to be pretty full when I put two bikes on it (made for 3). Also, I wish it had some way to lock the bikes. Once you go, you cant stop anywere without being worried.

Bottom Line:
Good product for the money. I wish I could get a hitch mount but I'm not ready to upgrade my car for my bike (yet). I did two six hour trips and several shorter ones, the rack did fine. Beats my trunk by far.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Clamintine Loop

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   my trunk

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe, bone stock and lovin it!

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from SoCal, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to install as long you read the directions carefully and look at the photos online. Holds bikes well. I'm a bit of worry wort so I check them at every stop. So far so good. It's inexpensive for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Easy to steal the rack, but I don't think you can get around this with this type rack. Instructions could be better with better diagrams of how to attach the straps. If you are worried about theft you have to remove it and throw it the trunk which is a little bit of hassle. Pads will scatch car if ti's not clean which again is a bit of hassle, but unavoidable with this type of rack. Even thought the hooks are plastic coated they make the paint a bit too even when clean. Also if you drop the plastic coated hooks the plastic seems to wear relatively easy.

Bottom Line:
Very good value if you don't want to spend a fortune on a bike rack.

I have no idea how poorly the folks who had their bikes fall off their car installed it, but it must have been a site to see. I had a friend who had the same rack and he installed it wrong and it still held the bikes on fine. If it is installed the way it is supposed to be and isn't over loaded I have no idea how it would fall off. User error is the only thing I can think of.

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   An OLD rack of similar design from many many years ago. It was total crap compared to this one.

Bike Setup:   A breeze. Very easy to put bikes on and off unless they are smaller, my BMX (20 and 24) bikes can be a tight fit and require some fiddling.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Minot, ND

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    I will carry a bike-hey, beats putting your bike in the trunk.

Weaknesses:    There are too many to list, lets just sum it up with "bad design."

Bottom Line:
This is a horrible product. It's made for three bikes, but i was concerned with just two bikes on. As soon as you put a bike on it, all the straps loosen up. Alittle bit of a side wind on the interstate, and you can see the bikes swing. Red side adjustment pulls, wouldnt pull after a couple months. Huge problem, because this rack is in need of constant adjustment. Bottom line.....dont buy this product, it's a terrible waste of money!!!

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey

Purchased At:   Scheels all sport

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones 3

Bike Setup:   Standard specialized rockhopper, with shimano PD-M324 ATB pedal

Submitted by Katie a Weekend Warrior from Illinois

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    The Yakima Super Joe 2 protected my car well and secured solidly to my trunk. Others reported damage to finish, but I did not have this problem.

Weaknesses:    It was difficult to get my "girls'" bike on it. The pices that normally support the frame did not fit my bike precisely. I had to get creative using the rubber straps.

I was driving 4 hours on highways at high speeds and was concerned about the bike, but I used all the rubber straps and it was fine. On the way home I forgot to connec the strap that encircles the post that extends to the seat and that strap is important. Without it, the bike is pushed away from the car by the air current and the frame slipped off the back holder. I could see this in the rearview mirror. After it was fixed there was no problem.

Bottom Line:
The staff at M&M Cyclery were nice enough to help me set this up the first time and I'm glad they did. It was a little different than I expected. Give yourself time to read the instructions if you're doing it yourself.

I couldn't find a trunk rack with reviews that did not report some instances of car scratching or damage. I think if you attach them correctly, you'll avoid damaging your finish.

Bottom line, I like the rack and would recommend it. For the price it seems to be a good value.

Purchased At:   M&M Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I've used bottom of the line trunk racks before. One must be careful not to mar the paint with the hooks, but the hooks on the Yakima Super Joe 2 are covered with plastic and the rack itself has cushy foam pads that protect your car.

Bike Setup:   It can hold two bikes. The frame support pieces are fixed so they don't slide forward and backward, keeping two bikes separate.

Submitted by Jennifer a Weekend Warrior from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to put on and take off of car.

Weaknesses:    DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! Or if you do, make sure that you bungee/U-lock/whatever your bike to the rack. The rubber straps come loose at highway speeds.

Bottom Line:
We bought this rack (King Joe 2) because we were too lazy to get my Yakima roof rack sent out from CA and fit it out with new Q-clips, fork mounts, etc. Big mistake! My bike came off the rack on the highway and luckily didn't cause a crash. Also lucky that it was my old bike and there was only $100 of damage. When my husband bought a new bike, we found taht we couldn't even get the bikes on the rack without my pedal sticking straight into his spokes. Between that and the fact that we both had nice new bikes, it was well worth it to switch to the roof rack and we absolutely love it. Our only regret is that we didn't do it right the first time. Now to test the REI "100% satisfaction guarantee" and see if they will give us our money back. Overall, we really trusted the Yakima name, and ended up being seriously disappointed.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Q-tower roof rack with Viper fork mounts. LOVE IT!!!

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Fenton, MO

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to use, straps hold secure on any vehicle. Mine holds VERY well at speeds of 70+ mph. Rock solid. Never scratched the bike - EVER - in 2+ years of use.

Weaknesses:    Hooks do mark on car, but it is a white car so it is also easier to see. Luckily I dont really care.

Bottom Line:
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! Others on this site have trouble. Clean your trunk before use to prevent scratches and read the correct spacing for the bars in the manual. Secure your downtube in the switchblade cradles - its what they are designed to do! Never had a problem with the rubber straps or the bike flying/swaying behind the car. Keep the straps sealed when not in use, and if they are drying out - replace them. Yakima is easy to do business with. Great easy to use rack that is solid at any speed. Use it right and you WONT have a problem!

Favorite Trail:   Chubb Trail

Purchased At:   Wholesale from manufacturer

Bike Setup:   Raliegh M60 with various upgrades

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville FL USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    'adjustable'

Weaknesses:    too many to list - the pieces mar your car's paint, have to adjust and readjust and tighten and retighten to get secure, rubber tie downs don't hold, frame puts pressure on your back windshield and license plate, obscures your license plate, doesn't handle girl-style, non-standard bike frames, prevents opening your rear hatch -Oh yeah - EXTREMELY UNSAFE

Bottom Line:
Please please understand this:
THIS RACK IS A PIECE OF JUNK.
It cost me over 100 dollars and was recommended by the bike shop that sold me the Specialized Hard tail. I spent more time trying to rig it so my bikes would stay on safely (and not drag the ground or slip off) and sweating over every bump in the road than I did trail riding. It is so 'adjustable' it is sloppy. Maybe that is the penalty you pay for the "one size fits all" feature.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna Park

Purchased At:   100

Similar Products Used:   thule roof rack, yakima roof rack

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard tail, Trek Navigator 200

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    looks nice, name brand

Weaknesses:    Rubber straps let go, hard to secure on round shaped trunks, leaves marks on trunk

Bottom Line:
Well, I am embarassed to say that I lost my bike off of it. I also nearly caused a three car accident. The rubber straps do not hold the bike. They become unsecured at highway speeds. The bike was miraculously fine except for the Bontrager saddle I was about to replace anyway...

I had the newer version but returned it since it wasn't recommended for my car (Accord coupe). Then I got this one. The bottom line is don't trust the rubber straps, use bungees or rope. Also, you have to pull the straps TIGHT. I expected more from a name brand such as Yakima. The vertical stabilizer is a nice touch though.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tass Disc

Submitted by G Drab a Weekend Warrior from Lewisburg, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Strengths:    At first glance appears to be a well-made, secure trunk mount rack.

Weaknesses:    Brand new cannondale fell off the rack and was destroyed on the highway. Sheer luck that a major accident did not occur when everyone swerved out of the way to avoid my cartwheeling bike flying down the middle of the highway. You absolutely cannot trust the Yakima rubber straps to secure you bike. This rack is DANGEROUS

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this rack if you are planning on highway/long distance transportation of your bikes. I wish that someone would have told me this before I bought it. The Yakima rubber straps do not securely hold your bike. I am very lucky that someone was not killed when my bike fell off on the highway. This is a defective product. Read posts you will find similar stories of bikes falling off on the highway. I will never buy another trunk mount rack...they are NOT SAFE. On a side note, I won't even follow someone who is using one anymore. BE CAREFUL.

Favorite Trail:   Allegheny River Trail

Purchased At:   Howe's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Used the Mighty Joe II to carry 2 bikes

Submitted by Mike from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Strengths:    Still in use after 2+ years

Weaknesses:    Signs of rust
Hard to use
Not enough rubber bands

Bottom Line:
Been using this to primarily transport my girlfriend's bike for over 2 years now. Although it gets the job done, overall its not very good. There aren't enough rubber straps to secure transport for more then one bike. After over 2 years of use some parts show signs of rust. If you aren't careful the bike will easily scratch the car. There are black spots were the black rubber pads rest on the trunk. And its hard for one person to put the bike on the rack, it really takes two people to do it right.

Check out NorCal Joe Lawwill's Super D Course...

If you're looking to warm up and rip an epic Super D course, think about getting yourself down to SoCal for the Fontana Winter Series #1 event, 7 Jan 2012. NorCal's own Joe Lawwill has been designing and refining the Fontana Super D for the past two years. Whether you want to race, or simple rid ... Read More »

Joe's Super Sealant in non-UST tires

In the last 3 weeks I've had 3 flat tires, so I've decided to go "ghetto tubeless". I've just received in the mail, 2 new Schwalbe 20" BMX tubes with removable core presta valves, and a bottle of Joe's Super Sealant. I'm going to mount Kenda Kozmik Lite II tires (non-UST) onto WTB Speed Disc XC rim ... Read More »

Yakima Super Joe 3

Has anyone ever put a Yakima Super Joe 3 (bike carrier) on a Honda Pilot? The two upper straps are supposed to hook on the edge of the rear hatch, but that is a wind deflector. Don't think I could put much tension on that. I was thinking of hooking them onto the rear crossbar. n8Read More »