Yakima Stick Up Bike Rack

2.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Whether you ride a road bike or a downhill bike, the Yakima Stick Up Bike Rack holds your ride when you travel. This unique design clamps down over the top of your frame, so it works regardless of your bike's size or shape. Plus, you're not dealing with a bunch of straps and buckles when you use the Yakima Stick Up Bike Rack. You just load it and roll.

Submitted by rbs

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Separate clamp tower allows loading of two similar sized bikes.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't fold down far enough to clear hatch or tailgate on some vehicles when bikes are loaded.

Bottom Line:
The rack is well constructed and does the job it's intended for. A real advantage to this rack of similar like the SportRack is that the dual clamp tower allows two very similar sized bikes to be loaded with worrying about one clamp interfering with the other.

i purchased this rack used and the former owner had install the wheel cups upside down. The suspect this was the issue for the reviewers below who found it wasn't secure with road or 29er frames. (If you look at the product photo above and imagine metal frame wheel cup upside down with the point sticking up into the middle of the tire, you could see that the tire would want to slide off.)

I simply can't imagine a bike falling out if assembled and used properly. As for the reviewer who had issues with the straps, how hard were you ratcheting them down? it's there to snug the rear into the plastic cup, not to hold the bike onto the rack.

I down-voted the rack because of interference with the hatch on my wagon when any bike was mounted. It simply didn't fold far enough down for me to use the hatch. When mounted on my truck it was too high and interfered with the tailgate (and I never noticed that the 2" adaptor was a problem when using the supplied anti-sway bolt).

I wouldn't hesitate to use the rack if I had a sedan. Test fit on any thing else like SUV/hatch/wagon/pickup truck.

Submitted by tc21

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Good for a hitch rack

Weaknesses:    Front tire wiggles loose if pressure is not applied using the middle bar.

Bottom Line:
This bike rack for the price range of $240.00 is not as bad as the reveiws. Its clearly not as stable as some for $400.00. It wiggles and the middle hook needs to be tight against the bike. The front bar needs to be longer to fit a 29er tire. If you do not tighten the bike down firmly using the middle hook the front tire will become free and I can only imagine what would happen. So make shure the bike is firmly held by giving the middle hook some extra torque. Its price is fair and it does its job but this is not a the top of the line so I expected that. In all its ok.

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Perfect for beater kids bikes or perhaps very light road bikes that are already scratched up.

Weaknesses:    Scratches top tube if anything other than old style frame, bikes fall off after front wheel cup bounces loose, bounces so much it is not safe to use

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack new for a road trip for three weeks to Southwest biking destinations. It failed almost immediately. Bikes fell off multiple times only to be held on by the after market cable lock I added. Many times had to stop and re-secure the outermost bike as front wheel was hanging off the rack on the cable lock. It scratched the top tube on the bikes because it rattled and bounced so much it rubbed the protective rubber off the arms that hold down the bike. I tried taping over exposed metal only to have the tape ripped off from vibration. This rack is made for light duty use only.
It could work with kids bikes or bikes you don't care about. A real disappointment. Look elsewhere for a rack!

Purchased At:   e trailer

Similar Products Used:   Thule T2 hitch rack. Yakima and Thule roof racks

Bike Setup:   3 full suspension all mountain bikes 1 hardtail cross country bikes

Submitted by mitsuturbo a Cross Country Rider from Houston,Texas

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    easy in and out, price

Weaknesses:    the wheel cups don't fit 29er or a road bike very well. the wheel dose not fit all the way down in the cup. No bike lock. the rubber has rubbed off the hold down arms, to the metal scratching my top tube, after only a year of use.

Bottom Line:
This was a decent rack for the money and very convenient compared to the roof rack. Unfortunately I have to pay to sent it back to etrailer to have it warranted. This is not the first stick up rack to do this. There are people that bought from amazon with the same problem. Thats half the cost of the rack in shipping out of my pocket. Plus the fact that it scratched my top tube. Buy it if your just taking you huffy to the park not to haul your high dollar rigs on. I would suggest the Yakima hold up if you looking for the same style, it has a lock and you don't have to worry about the top tube eater.

Purchased At:   etrailer.com

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roof rack system with viper trays

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher hi-fi 29er, specialized tarmac

Submitted by jc48036 a Weekend Warrior from Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to use. Quick in/out

Weaknesses:    Some of the bolts are rusting to quickly. Sprayed wd40 on the bolts and that seemed to help.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rack for the price. Having the bikes sit in trays is so much nicer than worrying about bike to bike contact. I have a full suspension bike and my wife has a cruiser and there is no need for an additional cross bar to hold them in place. If you are looking for a hitch rack I would def suggest looking at this rack. One note spray wd40 on the bolts b/c they will get surface rust.