Yakima Spare Joe Bike Rack

The Yakima Spare Joe Rack is a quick and convenient rackThat mounts rear mounted spareTires, allowing youToTransport upTo 2 bikes. Quick attachment and adjustment on almost any size spareTire Bikes are held firmly with anti-sway cradles Easily offsetsTo center bikes onThe vehicle Arms fold down when not in use 2 bike capacity

Submitted by hardboiled a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, quick to mount and take off

Weaknesses:    Strap mounting mechanism is not secure enough to vehicle

Bottom Line:
I was a big fan of this rack when I initially bought it and had no problems on several trips to Tahoe and back from the Bay Area (~200 mi each way). And then one day, driving home from a ride on the freeway with my bike attached to the rack and the rack on my SUV, the rack fell off the back of my car (with bike still attached). I always kept an eye on the rack/bike in my rearview mirror so I immediately saw what happened and freaked out, worrying that it would cause a major accident as I was traveling 65+ mph in the fast lane, and now there was a bike rack/bike bouncing in the lane behind me.

Fortunately it did not cause an accident. UNfortunately, someone stopped and picked up the rack and my bike and took off before I was able to recover it!! I was gutted.

Yakima offered to give me a new rack but refused to compensate me in any way for the loss of my bike. Needless to say, I declined the offer for a new rack and will not use a strap mounted rack like the Spare Joe again.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler

Anybody have any pics of a Yakima Spare Joe?

I just bought a Yakima Spare Joe online. As I await it's arrival, I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their spare joe they could share. I'm trying to get a visual of what it would look like on the wife's Honda CRV. thanksRead More »