Yakima SKS Lockjaw Bike Mount Bike Rack

3.2/5 (10 Reviews)

This upright mount's triangulated arm with locking "jaws" clamp your bike's downtube providing a convenient way to transport almost any type of bike. An extremely stable design, thanks to its triangulated arm; padded steel jaws close securely and adjust to fit downtubes from 1" to 2-1/8" diameter. Kraton(R) pads and built-in cable guides protect your bike's painted finish; two OverCenter Wheel Straps secure wheels in full-length wheel tray. Ideal for bikes with nutted (instead of quick-release) front wheel; design prevents mount from being removed when jaws are up and locked to bike. Accepts 1 Yakima SKS Lock Core, sold separately--mount is compatible with either Yakima Round Bars or Wing Bars.

Submitted by Erik Trogden a Racer from Vista, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Strengths:    Allows mounting many different sized bikes from my 6-year old's WalMart Special to my full-sized bikes.

Weaknesses:    Requires clamping frame downtube which keeps you from really cranking on it to get it tight. Then the bike rocks back and forth in traffic and gets loose in the rack, scuffing paint along the way. The straps that secure the wheels are MISERABLE to disconnect!!! They sometimes get jammed and require screwdriver and bloody knuckles to open. The mechanism that clamps to the frame requires what feels like thousands of rotations to clamp down. This is some sort of medieval torture device brought to the 21st century to make your life miserable!

Bottom Line:
There is NO reason on Earth to buy this rack. It is miserable to use and takes WAY too long to mount, unmount a bike. You'd be better off removing the wheels and throwing your bike in the trunk. My Thule rack is far more efficient and stable and costs the same... you'll see my Yakima's on eBay soon...

Favorite Trail:   Flightline

Similar Products Used:   Thule, ExPort

Submitted by Cakes a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Don't have to remove the wheel. Looks nice. Holds bikes with round downtubes very firmly.

Weaknesses:    The new wheel strap design. The re-designed jaw supposedly accomodates more dowtube shapes but still doesn't grip the bottom of my Giant Reign 2 very well. The jaw comes loose on long trips. The locking system is a joke, I wouldn't trust it for very long.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Yakima Raptor, not the lockjaw but the raptor represents the newest generation of the Yakima lock jaw. I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the raptor. The claw simply does not grip my Giant Reign 2 very firmly and gets loose over time. The giant reign 2 has an un-orthodox downtube design in fairness to the raptor. The raptor does handle my old mountain bike pretty well being that it has a perfectly round downtube. I also had pretty good luck with some steel frame road bikes although the wheel straps don't hold the road bikes firmly, to be expected.

The newly redesigned wheel straps are crap compared to the old design; they simply don't hold the wheel tight. Yakima seemed to do away with the "clamp" type strap and lock jaw. I guess too many people weren't strong enough to get a good clamp on the wheels and downtube so the resorted to a red knob system for the jaw and a ratcheting wheel strap.

The raptor is also expensive, I was even lucky to get a 20% off discount on them at REI recently. I still feel that Yakima stuff is pricey although I like the way it looks compared to Thule stuff. Thule stuff *looks* cheap (but I hear it's quality stuff)

Anyways, buy the raptor if you have a straightforward downtube design otherwise I suggest looking at the yakima cobra.

Favorite Trail:   mr. toad's wild ride, lake tahoe california

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   The *old* lock jaw system from Yakima.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2, all stock except for a 8" inch front rotor upgrade.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Strengths:    Strong secure positive clamping. Adjustable to different down tube diameters. I have fit MTB full suspension/hardtail, Road, BMX, and cruiser bikes without any major adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Tire straps wear-out and strip easily which makes dis-engaging difficult.

Bottom Line:
I have 3 Lockjaws and 1 Ankle Biter on my rack and the Lockjaws are my favorite. Simple to operate with one hand while the other hand holds the bike. There's a slight wobble but I think it is due to flex in the cross bars or wind buffeting from my truck traveling at 90+ mph. Also, the rack is mounted on my fiberglass tonneau cover.

Similar Products Used:   Yakima ankle-biter

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro FSR, Monkey Lite carbon fiber bar, Hayes HFX hydraulic disc brakes, ODI locking grips, Time Control Z pedals, Wipperman Stainless chain, Thompson Elite seat post & stem.

Submitted by dan a Weekend Warrior from boulder, co

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    This review is for the Raptor which I assume replaced the Lockjaw. I borrowed a lockjaw and used it for my Proflex. Like a previous reviewer, the jaw didn't hold and my $1000 bike put a big crater in my $500 car's roof. So I went and bought the Raptor, as I wanted a wheels-on rack. The biggest improvement is the size of the jaws which will get around most any downtube. But instead of a clamp, it tightens down with a knob. Then when the knob is locked, it disengages the knob, i.e it just rotates freely. HUGE improvement. I just bought another Raptor off eBay.

Weaknesses:    After 6 mos. the arms now swing side to side a bit. I will ask them if this is normal wear or othewise expected play after awhile. It's not like I go 4x4'ing with this thing, and have travelled about 3000 miles with it, works great. As I mentioned, it is lockable. I do lose about 4-5 mpg, but I figured out that on a 2000 mile trip that might cost me about $25-30 more in gas, well worth being able to take one's bike.

Bottom Line:
For the price of a front-wheel-off rack with wheelholder, one can get one of these for the same price and not have to remove the wheel. With the SKS locks, my bike is locked to the rack, rack is locked to the car rack, and car rack locked to car. I still take my bike in at night of course...

Like anything else Yakima, it's good stuff but WAYYY too $$. So, eBay and REI sales are good options. I just bought a NIB Raptor off eBay for $59/shipped, and got another at REI sale for $67. Normally run $85. I also notice no wind noise, but that is due to the needed fairing probably (another $50 for a hunk a plastic...oh well, it works).

Favorite Trail:   Happy Jack

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   The borrowed (and quickly returned) Lockjaw.

Bike Setup:   K2 4000, like a Proflex, an old Research Dynamics commuter and a Novara Corsa 700c Hybrid.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of use - once you figure out how to adjust the clamps so they don't come undone.

Weaknesses:    If you're not careful the clamps can slip into a notch meant for a smaller tube - if you then clamp this on a large tube the clamp can slip out and release the tube and *crash* the bike comes down. It's critical that you "fit" the bike tube into the correct notch on the clamp. This probably makes no sense to anyone who hasn't used one of these.

Bottom Line:
A must for those of us lucky enough to have a Cannondale lefty.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   C-dale Jeckyl 1000 stock: XTR, Hayes, Fox RL with remote lockout, 100mm Lefty DLR Titanium.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Lehigh Valley PA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    Simplicity, durability, not obtrusive & price

Weaknesses:    A bit shakey in high cross winds.
Low level of security - if that's a concern...

Bottom Line:
Have used this rack set up for five years w/ no problems on a Suby wagon.Traveled thousands of miles w/ no problems.
Easy to secure bikes, keeps 'em clean on dusty roads.
A good rack @ a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   Subaru Dealer

Bike Setup:   road & x-country mt bikes

Submitted by David a Racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Lockjaw held my bike onto the car fine while driving. As far as theft protection, it only deters amateurs from walking away with it. I parked in a busy parking lot for a couple of hours. I had the jaws locked and a SKS cable wrapped around everything. Someone cut through the cable like butter and pushed the bike over sideways to bend the struts and wrench the bike free from the jaws. Someone must have scared them away because the only thing left securing the bike was a wheel strap. The wheel straps can be hard to release so that might have delayed them just long enough.

Submitted by frank burrito a Weekend Warrior from atlanta

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    no need to remove front tire

Weaknesses:    IT DOESNT WORK D*MMIT

Bottom Line:
I was riding down the highway at around 70 mph when i heard a loud thud. Looking up in horror, I see my $1500 bike dangling on the side of my car held only by the wheel straps. The clamp simply did not hold on to the downtube of my bike or my GF's Cannondale. It required constant fiddling and tightening to insure hold. Furthermore, cranking down on the downtube with the clamp scraped off a good bit of paint. I would worry if I was using a thin walled downtube with this unit - I could see possible denting. Unless you are running a steel road bike with a downtube that will be completely surrounded by the clamp, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.....I have no confidence in the Lockjaws and have returned them for traditional mounts.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Planet X JFC, Race Face Turbines, Azonic Shorty, Avid Discs, etc..

Submitted by Charlie D a Cross Country Rider from Oak Ridge TN

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    No tire removal
Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Not lockable; must use cable.

Bottom Line:
This rack worked great for many years with many differnt bikes. It has been to Colorado and back (from Tennessee), and around the Great Lakes.
Last weak I drove into my carport with my bike on the roof, and that was the end of that rack.
The rack let lose the bike with out damaging it.
Hopefully, I can get a replacement long alluminum tire tray. That would fix the rack. The house's alluminum rain gutter is another matter.
I would like to see a place where you can put a lock on the clamp.
Bikes did tip back and forth just a little bit.
It didn't bother me.
If they still make this rack, and if it fits your bike, then get it. If you see one used, pick it up. If you can't use if for your F/S rig then use it for your road bike.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge