Yakima Raptor Bike Rack

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Dont let a limited budget cause youTo suffer from Rack Envy -ThanksToThe Raptor, you can get a sweet rooftop bike mount without depleting your piggy bank. Fits 1To 3" diameter downtubes (most shapes and frame materials) Secures wheels with ratcheting wheel straps Fits round and square crossbars Factory rack-compatible with MightMounts

Submitted by brcjacks a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Hold many different bikes securely.
Easy to use (if you're tall enough)
Lockable (sort of).
Adding lock cylinders was very easy.
Easily adjustable for bikes of varying wheel bases and tire sizes.

Weaknesses:    Not completely lockable. (pointed this out to Yakima and they told me I could use a cable lock on conjunction with the Yakima lock) lame. I have no problem leaving the bike on the rack and going into a restaurant. Unless you encounter a thief who happens to be where you are and he is familiar with the setup it's not obvious how to get the bike off when locked.
Takes a number of turns on the clamp to sung it down good.

Bottom Line:
My complete setup uses standard cross bars with Q30 clips to attach it to the hard cover on my Avalanche.
I'm not going to get into reviewing the base crossbars and clamp system here. This is just for the Raptor bike mounts.
I should start by saying that I'm 6'1" and have no problem reaching everything I need to but my shorter friends struggle putting up their bikes. Any roof rack that allows you to leave both wheels on is going to have a tall clamp location. Like other reviewers said, the Raptor is not a good choice for SUV owners. I wouldn't want it any higher than the bed cover of my 4x4 Avalanche.
I don't what happened to the guy who says his bike fell off his roof while using this rack. I take mine off road frequently with no problem. Of course, when I do I drive like I have a bike mounted up there. The owners docs specifically say not to go off roading but some folks will do it anyway.
I would like to see a hold down clamp for the down tube bracket for when the rack is not in use so it can't bounce up and down on the wheel tray but it's really not a big deal and I can't even hear it happening if it is.
Assembly/Installation was pretty easy. In fact it was easier than the instructions make it seam.
Like most of the Yakima racks and accessories, the seem to be expensive but once you look at the engineering and design that goes into the stuff you should have an appreciation for the gear and and understanding of the cost.
Overall I like the setup. It allows me to mount my bikes with both wheels attached, within reach and still have full access to the bed of my truck and all the gear in there.
I have confidence in my Yakima Raptor bike mounts.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain - Birmingham, AL

Purchased At:   Spin Bike Shop - Cle

Similar Products Used:   Yakima front wheel off mounts.
Hitch Receiver Thule rack

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Motobacane Fantom Pro 29, 24" Specialized Hard Rock, 24" Specialized Hot Rock, Specialized Rock Hopper Expert 29, GT Tempest, Schwin Ranger

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from englewood, tn

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    no front tire removal

Weaknesses:    bolt takes a while to clamp down on a fat down tube forcing you to hold your bike upright for a while. not easy on an suv. very stealable unless you upgrade to the rear wingnut lock. the plastic wingnuts that support the front plate to mounting tabs look like a hacksaw would take 10 seconds to take care of and the whole rack will come off. i would have appreciated a bit more security out of the box, at least the thief would have to be familiar with the copperhead or really poke around and have the right allen tool to take it off quickly.

Bottom Line:
its an ok rack, probably better suited for a car due to the reaching and balancing youll have to do with an suv. i wish id gone with the king cobra for 40 bucks more. also im concerned about long term lateral stability. my wahoo has fishers g2 geometry, front tire is about center on the front lip of the tray. the ross road bike fits pretty well.

Favorite Trail:   athens regional park - close

Purchased At:   owen cycles, chattan

Similar Products Used:   copperhead

Bike Setup:   2009 gary fisher wahoo, 19". 80's ross grand tour.

Submitted by chester a Cross Country Rider from cottonwood heights, ut 84121

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    factory rack attachments included

Weaknesses:    did not work for my 6" travel bike,(giant reign) clamp does not reach bottom tube, or if it does the angle of the clamp is way wrong and barely reaches bottom bracket. doubt it would work on any 6" travel bike, the triangle arms are just not long enough to reach the bottom tubeand am suspicious that it wouldnt work with anything with a higher bottom bracket (4" travel bike or bigger)
from now on im just gonna take off front wheel as this is the best rack set up.

Bottom Line:
yakima should tell you that it wont work for high travel bikes, since they didnt and i gotta return it(hassel) im giving them 2 chilis

Favorite Trail:   bobsled

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   yakima copperhead.

Submitted by Robb a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2008

Strengths:    Don't have to take front wheel off

Weaknesses:    Not very stable

Bottom Line:
This rack blows. It's not very stable-- I'd never go off road, or even on a bumpy road with it. I've had it actually fall off the car in a strong cross wind and on a sharp turn. If you buy it, don't drive over 55. To its credit, even when the rack came off the car the bike stayed in the jaws.

Purchased At:   web

Bike Setup:   mountain and road

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to intall, full bike mount so you don't have to remove wheels, price and Yakima is a pretty well respected brand

Weaknesses:    You gotta get way up there to lock the bike in. Various mounting options make the instructions a little strange.

Bottom Line:
I have a Subaru Outback and you have to be pretty tall to get to the lock down knob. But it sure beats taking the front wheel off every time you want to throw the bike on the car. Even standing inside the door my six foot body had a little trouble securing things. I'm sure I will get better with time but that is the only draw back so far. I used the mighty mount adapters and that made things a little lower. Mighty mounts are nice too.

Favorite Trail:   Long Staircases

Purchased At:   rackattack.com

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M 40 (she's a classic), pretty much stock, urban tires, Giant pedals, suspension seatpost.

Osprey raptor, size input

Hey so I have decided to pull the trigger on an Osprey raptor but I'm stuck on what size....the 10 or the 14. I know its not a huge difference in size, I just don't want it too bulky if it doesn't have to be. I have a saddle bag so what I would carry in the pack would be: spare tube, shock pump, ... Read More »

Zealot 16 vs. Raptor 14

I'm looking for a bigger pack that can hold pads, lots of water, and gear for longer, 5-6hr backcountry-type rides. I dig the Osprey warranty, but am open to other suggestions, but am interested to know if anyone feels one way or another between these two. Thanks!Read More »

New pack: Ergon BX3 vs Osprey Raptor 14 vs other?

Looking for a bigger pack than the Camelback Mule I currently ride with. It is totally maxed out on all day rides, especially when multiple layers are needed at beginning/end. Was also thinking that a larger option might also allow for carrying 2 water bags when exploring in areas where there's limi ... Read More »

Yakima raptor bike trays

Anyone know if those work well on bigger down tubes. Specifically my Giant anthem x4 29 and wife's giant talon 0 29er. It says they work for 1-3 inch down tubes but not sure since they are more rectangular shape. Any help appreciated. Thanks 2012 Anthem X29 4.Read More »

Raptor vs. Raven

[COLOR=#333333]Which hydropack do you prefer? I am considering buying an osprey but am not sure if I should go with the Raptor 14 or the Raven 14....they seem similar-the Raven is women specific and only comes in two colors-hence the allure of the Raptor with more color options.[/COLOR] [COLOR=#333 ... Read More »