Yakima Mighty Joe Bike Rack

Mighty Joe represents the top-of-the-line in Yakima's Joe Collection, offering the best fit and quality of any trunk-mounted bike rack on the market. The Mighty Joe provides a super solid ride for bikes with Yakima's integrated two piece Stable Cradle. Equally important is Mighty Joe's superior fit to your car along with a complete fit guide in the package. Mighty Joe also protects your car and bikes from scratches with its padded spring loaded metal buckles. Hands down, MightyJoe is the champion of stability in trunk mounted bike racks.

Submitted by ChrisL a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    Not too expensive, but NOT worth one cent

Weaknesses:    Carried one bike okay; but with two, the rear bike flew off the car, causing a three car crash, sending four people to the hospital, fortunately with non-life threatening injuries. The rubber straps wiggled loose, after they were secured tightly and double checked by two of us. The straps are defective! DO NOT buy this product----If you have one, add your own straps; don't trust this product

Bottom Line:
Thumbs totally DOWN.

Submitted by switchbacked a Racer from Washington D.C. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    support arm first slides in before locking in. so likelyhood of unlocking and sliding upwards is not possible.

Weaknesses:    support arm in 2004 mighty joe is loose that can frighten you loading your expensive bike on it.

Bottom Line:
Mighty joe 2 and 3 have swinging support arms that rotate within the molded hub. Mighty joe 2004's support arms slide inwards and out before locking in. The angle at which support arms are does not allow them to slide out if unlocked by a bump on the road.I suspect there 'll be any problems with it if you are carrying not more than two bikes.Don't buy it if you are carrying your favorite mountain bike just to be on the safe side.It is a good carrier mechanically sound for carrying one road bike.

Purchased At:   Thrift store

Similar Products Used:   cheap walmart bike carriers.

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 5.2 SL road

Submitted by treveis a Weekend Warrior from palmetto, fl

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    I have the Mighty Joe 3, 2004 model, so arm locks stay locked. The 2005 models are the ones with the arm locking problems that Yakima has recalled. 2004 model is very easy to install, just follow the directions. The 2004 is not rated for my car, a 2000 TransAm, but I have never had a problem with this unit and I carry 2 and sometimes 3 bikes on this carrier, I make sure that I have followed all of Yakima's instructions and I drive I-75, I-4, I-95 & the Florida Turnpike all the time at 80 to 90 mph and have never had any problems. Bikes always stay secure and I've never after hundreds of uses had a strap come loose or off. Use some common sense and read and follow the directions people.

Bottom Line:
This is a great carrier at the suggested retail price or especially at the price I paid, $30. Ease of mounting the unit and the bikes is unparalleled. I rate this best without even trying any other units because I don't think I could ever find a easier or safer unit to use. I've seen other units on vehicles and cannot believe what I see people do. Either they are not following instructions or if they are it is a far more complicated unit than I would want. If you ever get a chance to purchase a Mighty Joe 2004 model do so. I got all instructions and ratings online.

Favorite Trail:   Legacy trail

Purchased At:   yard sale

Bike Setup:   Setup is easy and I mount my bikes in 30 seconds or less each. The only caution I suggest is that if you leave the peddles on, wrap the inside peddle of the first bike on with a small towel to protect your bumper...I do this and just secure the towel with a strong rubber band.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Calera, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    Easy on and easy off, fits trunks OK on vehicles listed as 'no fit' in the documentation in my case, otherwise fits nice and snug on other vehicles. Keep the mounting straps tight and tighten again after loading bikes.

Weaknesses:    I've got the Super Joe 3, but it's only a two bike rack unless you want to cram a third bike on and mess your bikes up! Clearance is just too close for 3 bikes.

Bottom Line:
OK trunk rack for weekend use for two bikes and if you don't have to get on the freeway. I take the backroad to our trail with two bikes loaded and feel pretty safe, but not safe enough to do over 50mph. OK rack for two bikes with this Super Joe 3.

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Bike Setup:   Fishers and Specialized

Submitted by gary a Cross Country Rider from long beach, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to get on and off. Hold 2 bikes securely as long as rubber frame loops are stretched tight.

Weaknesses:    No problems for me.

Bottom Line:
I can mount the rack and bike in less than 3 minutes on our Prius. Have used it several dozen times with one or 2 bikes. Even at speeds over 70mph the bikes remain stable. The first time I used it one of the straps came loose but that was because I didn't have it tight enough. I don't use any other tie downs other than the 3 provided for each bike.

Obviously there is a desigh problem with the hub but I haven't seen it.

Purchased At:   125 Jax

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   Trek pilot 5.2 spa

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Yea, the Mighty Joe 2 & 3 are being recalled because of a potential problem with the hubs.

For the price, it's a great rack. I've used it many times and never had a problem, even at 50 mph on curvy highway 35, out to skeggs. Great for local rides, just make sure it's positioned correctly and ALWAYS tighten the straps AFTER you put the bike on the rack. If you get lazy after a big ride, you bike will end up as road kill.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs, Waterdog

Bike Setup:   2005 Fisher Ziggurat

Submitted by James Yun a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Guys, this rack is in the process of being recalled. I don't know the specifics yet, but contact Yakima on instructions for sending it back either for a refund or another product. The Mighty Joe's are being pulled from store shelves, and its even gone from their Web site.

I own 2 of these racks and only had 1 problem, and that was the swingarm collapsing causing some damage to my car.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Submitted by eduardo a Weekend Warrior from atlanta, ga

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    easy on, easier off

Weaknesses:    easier off

Bottom Line:
This would be a great rack for my grandmother. She doesn't drive and cannot ride a bike. For the rest of us, this rack is good for driving around town and drying clothes and advertising a crappy rack from Yakima.

I would have lost my Kestrel on an exit ramp if I had not spent the time to secure my bike with a cable lock and extra bungies. Throughout this trip I was constantly tightening down the straps. I think I would have nuked the Yakima plant if I ditched my bike on that ramp since this incident happened on my way to an ironman race. I can only count my blessing cause it could have been a couple months training and a few grand down the tube.

If you value your ride... spend some flow on a sturdy roof rack. Looks like this was a $120 lesson for me. I would feel bad about placing this on ebay as anything other than crap.

Favorite Trail:   401a CBMR

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   yakima roof rack (mighty mounts and q towers)

Bike Setup:   Kestrel Talon

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from salt lake city, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    unknown

Weaknesses:    limited FS bike compatibility

Bottom Line:
I'm glad I bought this at Guthries since they're the best and I know they'll accept it's return tomorrow. I should have read up on this thing here before I bought it.....anyway, I'm scared as heck to trust my beloved bikes on this, much less the paint on my car. Bottom line is I can't put my Rocky Mountain on this rack since the rear shock sits under the top tube. Those with RM Elements and Slayers will have this problem. My wifes Kikapu looks like it ought to fit because the shock is down low on the seat tube. GF Cakes might fit but I'd bet most of their other FS bikes won't since you need a clean angle where the seat tube and top tube meet. BOTTOM LINE: If you want to risk your bike and your car, at least take your bike with you to the shop and see if it fits this rack before you buy it and deal with the hassle of setting it up only to find that you gotta break it down and return it!!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   guthries (2100 south)

Bike Setup:   klein attitude...rm slayer70...kikapu deluxe

Submitted by April Kennedy a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    Everything!

Bottom Line:
The product broke while driving down the highway, sending my bike flying across the road. In the warranty they state that they are not responsible for any damage to products being used with the bike rack. What good is a bike rack if it breaks and ruins your bike?????? No one, not even the occasional biker should buy this rack. It is not reliable, even the shop where we bought the bike and rack looked at it and said that it had been secured properly. The piece that attaches the bike to the carrier was still firmly attached to the bike when the bike was recovered. Unless you want to risk causing a major accident, and losing you bike, don't use this product!

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    Good solid hold on the trunk and on the bike. Easy on, easy off at the trail head.

Weaknesses:    The cradles have no padding and they do tend to rub through the bike paint after a while. I added my own padding with fair results.

Bottom Line:
Bike appearance is not that critical to me, so I tolerate the burned paint. Same with the trunk lid. Inevitably, the trunk will get scratched. I find this rack to be quite solid and I have never had a problem with the rubber straps. If they are stretched over the frame (not just loopes over loosely) and the hole in the strap is fully seated over the horns on the cradle, then it will stay there until you remove it. There is a bit of wobble in the load arms, but I guess they are designed to fold down, so they have to be a bit loose. I prefer to have mine snug, so against recommendation of the manufacturer, I tighten up the screws around the pivots to get a much stabler rack. I never fold the arms down anyhow.

Favorite Trail:   Any down hill run at Devils Head

Purchased At:   Hand-me-down from brother-in-law

Similar Products Used:   WalMart Special

Submitted by Scott M a Weekend Warrior from Evergreen, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    It looks sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Ejected a Specialized softail on I-70.

Bottom Line:
I had only one experience with this rack...HORROR.

Brand new, properly installed (would you take any chances with your bike?). Three bikes were on this thing, a K2 on the inside, my Specialized hardtail middle, and my wife's three-month-old '04 Stumpjumper softail on the outside. It only took 3.5 hours before the Stumpjumper flew off on I-70 in Utah. The rubber saddles slid toward the outside, and the bike was pushed off the arms! One of the rubber straps holding the middle bike was off. I resecured the remaining bikes and when we reached our destination, the same strap was off, and the saddles had moved towards the outside again!

What did Yakima say? No defects...you are OUT-OF-LUCK. Read some of the other reviews...same experience. In addition, the REI rep said, "Yeah, we've had problems with this rack before."

By the way, by the time we had gotten back to where it came off, it was GONE!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cheap, hand-me-down, trunk racks with bungee straps that never gave me a problem.

Bike Setup:   Don't have it anymore.

Submitted by kam a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, Wa

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    secure when properly put on back of car, fits a 75' VW Super Beetle (they won't tell you that) good price, death grip on you precious ride!

Weaknesses:    cumbersome setup, even more cumbersome installation (get a friend to help, makes it so much easier, but it is possible alone)

Bottom Line:
it actually fits an old beetle, buy this rack if you have one, one needs to be careful about mounting the rack or straps will slide down beetle's deck lid. and the installation easily takes more than 3 minutes but once you get the hang of it its fine, and fit is secure, the rack holds the bike with a death grip!

Favorite Trail:   the bluff