Yakima DoubleDown 4 Bike Rack

Not only does the Yakima DoubleDown 4 Bike Rack carry four rigs to the trailhead, it also folds out of the way so you can get into the back of your car without going over the back seat. When you're not hauling around a bunch of cross country bikes or big downhill rides, the DoubleDown's support bars fold down to and say out of the way. Yakima used their SwitchBlade anti-sway cradles to keep the bikes from bumping into each other like kids fighting in the back seat.

Submitted by mtaviator a Weekend Warrior from Rogers, AR

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2012

Strengths:    It's a well built rack, and holds the bikes pretty securely. It is much easier to load than a roof rack. It also places no stress on the fork during transport, unlike dropout mount racks.

Weaknesses:    The rubber bands left stains on our bikes that haven't come off. Haven't tried solvents but they haven't come off with nice solvents. Also, this style of rack can cause some damage to cable guides, or to the paint from rubbing the cables on the frame. Also I use a bungee cord to hold the front wheels from spinning.

Bottom Line:
I would be careful putting an expensive ride on this thing if you are concerned with having a beautiful paint job on your bike.

Yakima DoubleDown 2 vs. BigHorn 4

I only have one bike I want to mount and carry. I have a GMC Envoy with a 2" hitch. Both of these look like decent, fairly inexpensive options for me to lug my bike to and from the trails. The only real difference besides the 2 bikes vs. 4 bikes, that I can tell is the ease of moving the arms up ... Read More »