Yakima Copperhead Bike Mount Bike Rack

3.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Fork-style mount has a fork block design that fits round or rectangular bars and new wheel tray design fits a wide range of tire shapes and designs. Micro-adjusting, ratcheting wheel strap fits a myriad of wheel shapes and designs. Locking long-throw skewer offers one-step adjustment making it easy to load and unload bicycles. Corrosion-resistant, heavy-duty steel construction and injection molded block design combine strength with beauty; hardware is hidden when mounted. SKS compatible (lock cores sold separately).

Submitted by darkcoupon a Downhiller from sl,ut

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    great quality parts, very sturdy, holds FAT tires, easy to install, holds bike extremely stable

Weaknesses:    skewer is too easily removed, yakima should have found a way to lock the skewer nut along with the clamp. Mount is too close to crossbar for some forks.

Bottom Line:
For the price, the quality is amazing in both the materials used and with how securely it holds your bike. I've taken my car down some roads most jeeps wouldn't go through with my bike on this rack and it didn't move a millimeter.

That being said, I know some of my friends who's fork's hang really low under the dropout aren't able to mount their bikes on it because the fork hits the crossbar before the dropouts hit the skewer. There should be a way to raise the front of it. And even though its been 3 years, the last reviewer is correct about how easy it is to remove the skewer. The lock only keeps people from opening the quick release clamp, Yakima should have found a way to lock the nut on the skewer as well as the quick release. I can shimmy this thing loose in a few seconds.

If your fork has those raised teeth in the dropout then its not a problem because if you clamp it tight enough there's no way to move the skewer around. I'm more worried about someone taking the skewer off when my bike's not on there, so I keep it in my glove box along with the plastic top cover when my bike isn't with me. This does expose the allen bolts that hold it on, but a passerby wouldn't notice, or even have the slightest idea of how to remove the entire rack. A skilled theif might have an easier time with it, but if they want it bad enough they're going to take it one way or another.

4 chilis for value because of the qualaity, it would get 5 if the lock worked. 3 overall for the false security.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse 6.0, 2.5" tires, Marzocchi AM 2 fork

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2005

Strengths:    Seems to be very sturdy

Weaknesses:    The dumbest, least effective, worst-designed, crappy locking system I've ever seen in my life.

Bottom Line:
Want to lose your bike? Buy this bike tray! Want to lose the tray, too? No problem... Yakima's made that easy, too!

I bought a complete Yakima rack setup for my SUV yesterday and installed it with two Copperhead bike trays with locking skewers. I'm returning them today. I've never seen a more pathetic security system on any type of equipment in my life. The stupid locks that come free on cheap luggage would provide more protection... at least you'd have to use a paperclip to open them!

You can remove a bike from this tray BY HAND, even when locked, simply by cranking the locking lever back and forth while holding the nut on the other side of the skewer with your hand. The nut comes loose after a few rocking motions, and can be unscrewed, releasing the bike. Even when fully locked, I was able to release my bike in less than 30 seconds... start to finish.. WITH NO TOOLS!!! Hello!... Duh! And guess what?!? The tray itself is removable with an allen wrench in about 5 minutes. Simply tear off the crappy plastic cover by hand, and unbolt it with an allen wrench. So, they can take your bike AND the tray. Great design! (Am I too cynical, or did Yakima design the thing this way on purpose to make you upgrade to their higher-end models? Why do they have "higher end" models, anyway? A bike tray is a freakin' bike tray... or should be, if you ask me.)

The only thing I will give Yakima on this one is that the tray itself seems quite sturdy, if you're not worried about the security angle.

1 Chili for value: Too damned expensive, the security is freakin' pathetic.

3 Chilis overall: Solidly built, but you've got to make sure you find some other way to lock your bike.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Robert B. a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2004

Strengths:    I've had up to three bikes on my roof rack all attached to the Copperheads on some really bumpy Oregon back roads. 4-5 mph stuff with foot deep holes and bumps. The bikes roiled around and I thought for sure something was gonna come loose. These puppies are sturdy and secure (not in the locked up sense of the word).

Weaknesses:    The rachets that secure the rear wheel can be a pain. When I first bought the rack I was obsessed with ratcheting that baby down snug. All this does is strip the plastic and make bike removal a pain in the ass. My advice, the strap is there only to keep the tire from jumping out of the track, don't cinch it down all the way and you'll be much happier.

Bottom Line:
All roof racks are pricey. After owning two copperheads for a couple of years I bought a third. Enough said.

Favorite Trail:   shave & a haircut

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   2005 cannondale F600 (Raw) since my 2004 got ripped off. Not off of the rack.

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    Holds the bike securely. Can be used with both round and square cross bars.

Weaknesses:    The rear wheel ratchet hold down is pretty testy and locks up when over tightened. (this can be fixed by sliding the botton down the pressing in hard, but is annoying)

Bottom Line:
Ok maybe the security isn't the best on this rail, but for the difference in price between the copperhead and the Steelhead you can buy a nice cable lock. Anyway as far as the rest of the rail goes its great minus the rear wheel ratchet. Oh, and the person winning about having to buy seperate SKS locks, think about it, how else would any of the manafactures do it. Put locks on each product you buy, ok think about how many stupid keys you would have to carry then cause they could use one key for everything or somebody down the street could use theirs to unlock your rail.

Purchased At:   Discover Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Performance xsport

Bike Setup:   klein, Colnago

Submitted by elray from the midwest

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ok guys - this rack is not meant to be locked on the roof - yakima does that so you'll buy what's called an "sks accessory lock housing" for another $10 to keep the rack locked. None of the yakima racks come with locking mechanisms - they want to sucker you into buying more. Typical commerical BS. But please, do some homework before you post next time.

Submitted by Jacques a Weekend Warrior from gatineau

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Solid, good price.

Bottom Line:
I just hauled my full suspension bike 16 hours at 70 mph and had zero problems with this rack. It works well, and is all you need for transporting bikes from A to B. I would not leave my bike locked to it assuming it would be safe, but i wouldn't do that with any lock.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Montain Edge with upgrades

Submitted by David Speers a Cross Country Rider from Altamont, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    Rack works well, keeps the bike very stable. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Very few. Some mention security, but I do not know if I agree.

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack on the advice of the guy at Agees, over the Steelhead or Viper, based on what I needed. I am quite pleased with the rack. Have used it a number of times, traveling over a few hundred miles and it works well. I can see why some might be concerned about security, and while I agree that someone could bust the plastic cover and remove the rack with an allen wrench or force the nut on the other end of the skewer off, I believe that they would have to make a bit of noise and commotion, especially trying to bust anything, or even loosing the nut on the skewer. I may be wrong, but I do also use a cable to secure the tires and bikes. Nothing is foolproof and maybe they could have made this sturdier, but, as the guy from Agees said when I raised these concerns, you do not leave a high price bike out in the open unattended. Somebody will find a quick and easy way to get at it. For that matter, the SKS cores, even on a Steelhead or Viper could certain be defeated if someone wanted to steal the bike. They are only small lock. Locks and security only deter thieves, it will never stop them.

In any case, the rack is very good, stable and I have really appreciated the convenience and the serious increase in security when compared to my old Graber trunk mount.

Purchased At:   agees

Similar Products Used:   Graber truck mount

Bike Setup:   Cannondale, GT, Mongoose

Submitted by SLinBend a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    Well... if your just looking to hold the bike to the roof, this rack works fine.

Weaknesses:    Security
Wheel ratchet sticks if you tighten just a wee bit too much

Bottom Line:
Bottom line - if you don't care that your rack and/or bike can be easily stolen, than this is the system for you.

I agree totally w/ the previous review. I am baffled as to why Yakima would even sell this thing. When the bike isn't on the rack, all a would be thief would have to do to steal this thing (with the lever properly locked) would be to unscrew the securing nut, remove 3 hex bolts w/ an allen wrench, and off she goes! 30 second job.

With the bike on and lever locked, a pair of pliers or vice grips could easily remove the nut on the opposite side of the lever, and whalla! The thief runs away w/ the bike.

I definitely wouldn't buy another one of these. I don't even feel comfortable leaving my bike/car right outside the door of a convenience store to pick up a post ride snack for fear of my bike being stolen. Do yourself a favor and secure piece of mind w/ the Steelhead.

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from York, PA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Well constructed.

Weaknesses:    Locking mechanism.

Bottom Line:
If you just want a rack to hold your bike, this would work fine. However, if you're looking for something to lock your bike up with when you're not there, I suggest you look elsewhere. I purchased this rack because it says that you can lock it with the SKS core locks. That's true, but what they don't tell you is that the lock is totally ineffective. The locking mechanism consists of a lever that locks down, but the other end of the skewer is simply a skewer nut. Anyone with a pair of pliers can waltz up and unscrew the skewer end without even worrying about the locking lever. Then they can grab your bike and walk off leaving your still locked skewer behind. What kind of a nut job at Yakima thought of this design.

The Viper has a much better locking mechanism. The skewer is square so you can't unscrew it without the assistance of the brass knob which is locked out of sight when the lock is employed.

If you buy the Copperhead, I admonish you to buy a locking chain with it or some other form of security. Especially when you don't have your bike on it, it is VERY easy to steal the rack. One would need only 2 tools to steal this rack, a pair of pliers and a hex wrench.

I've never tried one, but I think the Rocky Mounts rack is half the price and probably offers the same amount of protection.

Purchased At:   www.agees.com