Yakima Bike Rack Bike Rack

4.06/5 (170 Reviews)

Submitted by Rappy a Weekend Warrior from Rossville, GA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
My friend bought this rack and it was really hard to put on compared to the Saris, The rubber latches are super hard to latch. I hated this rack even before my friends bike hit the freeway, because one of the latches failed. Please go with any brand other then this, but I do love the Saris Bones.

Saris Bones

Submitted by HS a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to load bike onto roof rack

Weaknesses:    Difficult to tighten cam grip on cross bar

Bottom Line:
The rack has always been a problem from the very first day. Had to constantly check to make sure the cam grip was tight to make sure the rack was secure. As some one has mentioned with vibration they loosen up. Finally a disaster happened. Just returning from a trip in the mountains with two bikes on the rack. Checked the rack before leaving and everything was secure. After driving on a slightly bumpy highway for about 150 miles, I stopped and did a recheck of all supports. About 100 miles later in gusty winds the bike rack lifted off the car and landed in the middle of the highway. Problem, the cam grips worked themselves loose in the gusty wind. How lucky no one was immediately behind me, it would have caused a major disaster. One lucky thing was the rack landed on the highway with the bikes upright and the bikes only took some road rash but no major damage. The rack was completely destroyed. Do not buy this rack.

Purchased At:   Rack for Cars

Submitted by darkman a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had the exact same experience as your user chrisharjes. Than you chrisharjes for extensive review. I wish I saw it before I bought this product. It was the same problem with the Q towers. I was driving on the highway going surfing when I lost the front bar of the rack together with my surfboard. You can imagine the horror of me running on the highway to pick up the peaces so other motorist do not get injured. I sent the rack back to Yakima. I waited for like 12 weeks with no response. After 12 weeks I contacted them twice before they responded. Again, they said it was my fault because the racks were adjusted 1/2" too wide! If I have adjusted them that wide they would have fallen like months ago. Anyway, they offered me some money back and refused to repair my vehicle. I suggest if you decide to buy this product better make sure you get the exact measurements from Yakima for your vehicle.

Favorite Trail:   Cahunga Canyon

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by chrisharjes a Weekend Warrior from Asheville,NC

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2008

Strengths:    Looks cool, lots of neat little accessories

Weaknesses:    Falls off cars on the interstate

Bottom Line:
I've used Yakima products to haul bikes, kayaks and couches for years and years. They've established a reputation for dependability, but have lately allowed their quality to slip substantially. I bought a full Q-tower setup for my 2008 Honda Civic early ths summer, meticulously installed it per factory directions, and used it for only six weeks before the entire system flew off my car at 70 MPH with no warning whatsoever, destroying my wife's and my surfboard. I borrowed her car the next day, also with Q-towers, and noticed the rack slipping off as I tied my new(ish) mountain bike on for a ride.
I asked around, and was amazed to hear that several friends in the southeast (eleven so far) have had the exact same thing happen with Yakima Q-towers on Hondas and other sleek, low-profile vehicles. The clips they use attempt to fit multiple car models, and do so poorly. The Q-tower locking mechanism has an inherent flaw that allows road vibration to gradually loosen its grip, resulting in catastrophic failure.
When I contacted Yakima, they lied. "Q-towers work excellently, even on Hondas- We have had very few reports of failure." They weren't happy that other folks were telling me about these common failures, and continued to deny them despite more incoming reports. Yakima asked me to send the rack in for analysis, at my expense, then refused to offer restitution for my surfboards or vehicle damage. They have even failed to refund my money for the defective product. If you choose to buy a Yakima rack, be ready to get the cold shoulder when your bikes get rag-dolled across the interstate!

Favorite Trail:   Kitsuma

Purchased At:   Diamond Brand Outdoo

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 6

Submitted by slow learner a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    Versitile! Fits both my vehicles. Carries bikes in the summer and skis in the winter.

Weaknesses:    expensive!!

Bottom Line:
Solid rack. Several parts (e.g. hinges on ski rack) corroded and I had to replace with stainless components. In fairness, my rack is 10 years old.

I have had two (I guess I'm a slow learner) encounters with my garage. The Q-Clips bent slightly some of the plastic covers broke. Additionally, the Raptor clamp broke. However, damage to my car was far more costly. The rain gutters sustained some damage, the rack feet dented my roof in 3 places, and bolts from the Yakima caused a 3 inch gouge in the paint and a 1/2 inch deep dent in my roof. I can't really fault the Yakima for my stupidity but it sure would have been nice if the rack would have seperated cleanly from my car.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail MTB

Submitted by George Kaplan a Weekend Warrior from L.A. , Ca.

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2008

Strengths:    Nice fit with good instructions. Carry the bikes well which means they do what they were designed for.

Weaknesses:    A little pricy and the Yakima faring is way over priced. The rack system and faring is an advertisement for Yakima going around town on my car. I peeled off the Yakima stickers and faced the faring backwords so it is just black in front. I don't care if anybody knows I has a Yakima. Only I need to know.

Bottom Line:
Got racks! Now I can take my bike with me.

Favorite Trail:   Westchester Parway

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Bike Setup:   Frame, 2 wheels, handlebars, brakes, gear set and a seat

Submitted by Maurice a Weekend Warrior from Fort Mill, SC

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    Durability, ease of installation and removal

Weaknesses:    Noise without fairing

Bottom Line:
Well I've been using my Yakima rack for about 13 years. The only thing I've had to replace were the rubber feet that sit under the Q towers, because I lost them during a moved. The towers aren't as dark as they used to be, but the whole system still works just fine -- even the lock cores I purchased. In this case I think I got what I paid for -- they weren't the cheapest product but turned out to be more than worth the price.

Purchased At:   Bicycles East Matthews NC

Bike Setup:   GT MTB

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    Rack performs well. Good instructions, easy to install. I have used YAKIMA bike carriers as wekk, but THULE will work. Decent locking system. I am sure you could probably punch one with a screwdriver and make it work, but hey you could do the same with your car.

Weaknesses:    Cannot get Q clips for newer vehicles.

Bottom Line:
I travel quite often with my job. I get a new company vehicle every 12 - 18 months. I try to always take my bike because you never know when you will get a chance to ride. I chose a roof rack because you can move from vehicle to vehicle by changing the Q clips. Much cheaper than installing a hitch on every new car. At any rate, I have a 2007 Impala. Had this vehicle for four months. I have contacted YAKIMA 5 times over the four month period, and they still have no clips identified for the 2007 Impala. I have been told by Chevrolet that there are basically no changes from the 2006 model, and asked YAKIMA to check the fit......still nothing.

To make a LONGGGGGGG story short, I have been without a way to take my bikes with me for four months now. Bottom line...if you pan on keeping your vehicle for 4-5 years and can find a fit, buy it. If you plan to change vehicles every year or two and need to get new clips...BUY A THULE.

If I could get parts to move this rack between vehicles I would give a much higher rating. Because I have a rack I cannot use with one of the best selling vehicles in the US (a car that has been out for 6 months)...it sux.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Plano, Tx USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Simple Design

Weaknesses:    Replacement Straps

Bottom Line:
I purchased this carrier 5+ years ago and have been looking everywhere for replacement straps (World Strap). I finally emailed Yakima and they sent an automated response with a phone number. I called the number and they told me they had the straps and would send me the 6 straps for free. I had found serveral distibuters who's website claimed they had them and sold for $3.00 to $7.00 per pair plus shipping which usually worked out to $25 or so. Of course they didn't have any in stock, and several told me that they were no longer available from Yakima. I was very impressed with Yakima's customer service and would highly recommend them to everyone. This is a company who know's what customer service is all about!

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine North Shore

Submitted by benjamin a Weekend Warrior from atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    Great rack if you don't plan on buying a new car.

Weaknesses:    Yakima salesman said "there are clips for every car on the road." I didn't believe it, and now I can prove they don't make them.

Bottom Line:
I echo the reviewer below.
"One of the reasons I purchased the rack was with the idea that I would upgrade the clips and put it on my next vehicle. Unfortunately, when Yakima changed towers they stopped supporting the old product."

I purchased a new car and they don't make the Q Clips. I now own a $450 (including crossbars, QTowers, Clips, locks, bike mount, fairing) waste of space in my closet. It was so expensive that I'll hold on to it with the hope that Yakima makes clips for my next car.

My car isn't overly common (1990s 300zx) but Nissan made thousands and thousands of them in the US. Yakima does not make Q-Clips for them.

It was a great rack when it was on the car. Now I wish I had held on to my substantially less expensive Saris roof rack because they make clips for my new car.

Similar Products Used:   Saris roof rack

- Ease of use
- Very well made
- Looks good

Weaknesses:    - Had to have 90 degree hitch attachment
replaced because pin holes were not aligned (defect)

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Yakima Kingpin 4. Initially I had a problem where the alignment holes for the swivel pin on the bottom post would not line up. That was replaced and things are working well. Very nice design, sturdy and nice-looking. I purchased the optional "deadlock" which locks the rack to the hitch and the bikes to the rack. Don't know if I'd entrust my JTS in this "secured" setup. If you pop a lock ring the rack lock is no longer secured and your bike is gone. If you're one for locking your bike to a rack, I'd suggest purchasing additional lock(s).
I like the fact that it does locks the rack to the hitch.
The rubber strap system is nice and really secures the
bikes to the rack. Even though the cradles are rubber and
padded, I place a length of pipe insulation on the cross bar of the bike(s). I like the fact that the mast folds down as well so you can leave it on your vehicle at all times. The SwitchBlade anti-sway bike cradles are sweet.
My children now fight to see who gets to lower the rack (without bikes secured) to get into the rear of my van.
Easy enough for an 8-year old to use. I would have rated 5 Chilis across the board except for the initial problem with the bottom pin holes.

Favorite Trail:   Roadie

Purchased At:   Rack Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   - El Cheapo Bell strap-on rack

Bike Setup:   2005 Kona Jake The Snake (Stock)
2003 Trek 3500

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    -Very Secure
-Doesn't interfeere (at all!) with door mechanism
-Sturdy
-Looks Good
-Awesome customer service.

Weaknesses:    -Price (but you get what you pay for)

Bottom Line:
Very good product. I have the Viper fork mount bike holder with the Q towers and Q stretch kit since I have a Honda Civic Coup. The rear tower covers that I recived with the kit did not fit the Q towers. At first I was puzzled but I later found out that other people were having the same problem. Turns out that some dealers have older tower covers that aren't compatible with the new 2005 towers. A quick, friendly call to Yakima on Monday resulted in brand new (compatible) covers on Friday. All of it was covered under warranty and thus didn't cost me a penny. Excellent customer service and a fantastic product. I absolutley recommend Yakima to anyone looking for a high quality bike rack with fantastic customer service backing it up.

Favorite Trail:   Captian Jacks-Chutes

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Bike Setup:   2004 Ram XT1500. Azonic 50mm stem. Swinger 3-way w/6" of travel. 5" fork (rock shox)

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Strengths:    Stong, secure, and most importantly, looks good!

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Q-Towers with the stretch kit.

This rack is easy to install and very strong, if you follow the instructions carefully.

When I tried putting the rear cam covers that came with the stretch kit, they wouldn't fit so I called Yakima. They said that some of their dealers were selling an older model stretch kit and that the only difference were the covers. They sent me the new cam covers for free.

The only downside I've found so far is the price. But when you think about how many roofs Yakima had to destroy to get a rack like this to fit right, it justifies the cost.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Putting bike in the backseat of a 2 door Ford Focus.

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Strengths:    Stong, secure, and most importantly, looks good!

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Q-Towers with the stretch kit.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Putting bike in the backseat of a 2 door Ford Focus.

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Enduro

Submitted by John M a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2005

Strengths:    Rack is secure on the car and is strong. When properly installed, this rack holds the bikes well. Mine is the older version with the Y towers and not the Q towers.

Weaknesses:    Yakima nolonger supports the "Y" clips. One of the reasons I purchased the rack was with the idea that I would upgrade the clips and put it on my next vehicle. Unfortunately, when Yakima changed towers they stopped supporting the old product.

Bottom Line:
Yakima makes a good roof rack. Even the plastic loops that hold the tire to the roof are strong. One time I did not adequately tighten the clamp that connets to the downtube on my Fuji. The thing came loose at highway speed and the bike fell sideways. When I pulled over, the pedal dented the car, but the plastic straps held the bike-no damage to the bike. Two chills for value since they don't support the product for the long haul (I know it would be expensive) and 4 for the quality of the product.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Varies

Vw roof bike rack issues

So I got a oem vw roof rack and bike rack for my trek slash. The front strap doesn't fit! I'm thinking will have to carry a pump in the car and just take air out of the tire to fit in the rack and be able to strap it down. Anyone else have this issue or tips/solution?Read More »

PSA: Don't Put Bike Rack Too Close to Exhaust

....or risking melting your carbon fiber rim as I did this weekend. In 20ish years of cycling and driving I have never heard of this, so perhaps my mistake will prevent it from happening to you. Car is brand new to (to me) for about 2 weeks and a week ago I got a 2" receiver hitch installed ... Read More »

PSA: Don't Put Bike Rack Too Close to Exhaust

Anthem 29er on a haning bike rack carrier

Will an Anthem X Advanced 29er Size Large fit securely on a Thule hanging bike rack carrier without a frame adapter?Read More »

Hitch mounted bike rack

I was able to buy this rack for $25 [url=http://www.homedepot.com/p/Atlas-Homewares-4-Bike-Folding-Towable-Rack-1805005/204333345?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053#product_description]Atlas Homewares 4 Bike Folding Towable Rack-1805005 at The Home Depot[/url] Or I have a friend wiling to sell ... Read More »