Thule Roadway 4-bike hitch rack Bike Rack

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Thule Roadway hitch racks featureT3 cradlesTo holdThe bike securely without damaging paint. Carries 2 bikes Stinger Swinger hitch converts quickly from 2"To 1.25" Hitch Switch quick release lever for fast storage of bike arms T3 cradles hold bike securely without damaging paint No Sway Cage available separately

Submitted by SCMTBGUY a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2008

Strengths:    The rack is very strong and I have complete faith in it holding my expensive bikes. The pull clip/tab thing to put arms up or down and the put entire rack up or fold down is an awsome feature and why I didn't go with the Yakima kingpin. The pins are a pain in the ass in the other racks but these pull tab things make it incredibly fast and easy. Also this way the rack/bikes have absolutely no contact with my car's paint. The rack also came 1.25' equipped right out of the box instead of having to buy an adapter.

Weaknesses:    The rack came with holders for 4 bikes but good luck. I bought the 4 bike rack instead of 2 because I knew if I ever wanted more than one it would be a pain in the ass to load them and I was right. I loaded 3 bikes today on it and it was a pain but worked out alright. I don't really wanna try 4 bikes. I'm sure it can do it, but no thanks. Also you have to secure the rack into the hitch with a bolt and it takes a couple minutes to screw in. As a result of it being threaded I think I can't use a simple pin/lock and have to use the Thule hitch lock. Bummer. Not a biggie though.

Bottom Line:
An awsome rack that is solid and reliable. The pull tab thingies are awsome and I am so glad I got this rack instead of one with pins which are a pain in the ass. Get this rack and buy it online. I did about twenty minutes of internet searching for the best price and found a site that had them for $175 shipped but I found mine on ebay and got a better price. If you pay full price it's a bit much so not that great on value.

Similar Products Used:   Attach to the back with straps rack - the straps slide all over despite how tight you pull them and I could never trust it. Also it was working away at my clearcoat.

Bike Setup:   '07 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
'93 Trek 1200
Cruiser - from the future

Submitted by DMG from Elkton, Md USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    Stout construction
Fits both hitch sizes
Carrier folds down for travel
Rack folds back to open rear doors on SUVs or trunks
Latches are nicely made for the folding parts.
Screw in bolt for the hitch pin and the rack is solid. Locking screw in hitch pin available.

Weaknesses:    Fits nice on a vehicle with no rear mounted tire or mounted tire less then 12.5in in width (ie...something like a 33x12.5 sized tire).
May require a hitch extender for larger tires.
Fits with my 33x10.5 in tire, but the bottom folding latch is unable to be fully disco'd to lay the rack back because it is too close to the bottom of the tire.

The bike mounts are standard, but require the sway stopper available seperate to stop the swaying. I just bungee'd the bottom of the pedal to the bottom of the rack. I really liked the mount on the Yakima systems to help stop the swaying on the road. This beats the Yakima rack with the folding parts hands down for utility.

Bottom Line:
Great rack to protect your investment. I especially like the folding options for utility. The latches there are nicely made and look to stand up to abuse on the road.

I needed a rack that would fit on my Tahoe as well as the Jeep with a large rear mounted spare.

I had no problem mounting my Giant full suspension and wifes trek with no extra cross bar tube attachment as well as my conventional tubed bikes. All fit fine.

Purchased At:   Bike Line