Thule Peloton Fork Mount Bike Rack

3.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Thule Peloton Roof Rack (517). The world?s #1 selling fork mount just got a make over. From road bikes to disc brakes and fat tires the Peloton is up to the challenge.

Submitted by Michael L a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use, solid lock down, looks cool, well made.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel strap a bit tricky

Bottom Line:
We've had the full Thule rack with a pair of Peloton trays in solid use for over two years now and so this is a review based on lots of experience. I suspect that some of the earlier negative reviews are based on a lot less experience and a lot more operator error. The fork lock down is super easy to use compared to older models and rock solid. In addition to lots of short trips this rack just did it's second 3000 mile road trip with bug bras on the bikes creating more resistance and still no problems.The rear wheel straps are still a little tricky to figure out so this get 4 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Strand Hill, Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Some internet rack s

Similar Products Used:   Older model Thule

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR with bells and whistles

Submitted by nhrawingman a Weekend Warrior from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Hard to think of anything that isn't overwhelmed by the horrible design

Weaknesses:    Awful fork mount bracket.

Bottom Line:

This thing pulled off the car when it went over the very first bump. Despite claiming that it works with Yakima racks it certainly does NOT. Hard to explain, but the bracket design simply does not work.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill, Auckland NZ

Purchased At:   Capital Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Viper

Submitted by Steve Bett a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    While you have to remove the front wheel to us this kind of rack, the bike is held more securely with less wobbling than on the racks that clamp the wheel or down tube. Doesn't beat up the wheel, brake, or paint on a long trip. The lock secures the bike to the load bar.

If you are always carrying the same bike, you can preset the tension and mount the bike in seconds by simply closing the clamshell. When you carry several different bikes, mounting them on the rack and adjusting the tension is nearly as slow as with the old style skewers.

Weaknesses:    On the pre 2007 units, the clamshell had to be closed and locked or it might work loose. That is, the clamshel may open about a half inch depending on how rough the terrain.

The unique clamshell cam lock on the older (pre 2007) models worked fine until I opened it to the widest position where it became stuck. It still works but on some forks I cannt make it as snug as I would like. There is probably a fix for this but I haven't discovered it yet. Since the unit has a lifetime guarantee, one fix is to take it back to the dealer for a replacement.

Bottom Line:
Rock solid. Looks good. Easy to install on round or square load bars. Very quick loading when pre-set for a particular bike and quicker to adjust for different bikes than the old style skewer mounts.

I would recommend the older product and the updated Peloton is even better

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Rack Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Yakima and RockyMount fork lock racks. I have also tried several of the racks that require no wheel removal.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Good rear wheel strap.

Weaknesses:    The fork clamp mechanism is horrible, just like other reviews have mentioned. I almost lost my bike at 70 mph on the freeway because it is impossible to set the clamp tension correctly. Only the rear strap saved my bike from becoming shards of carbon and aluminum scattered across the road. The dropout on my fork broke, and the fork needed replacement. The clam shell clamp pressure is at its highest when it is not completely engaged, and the pressure actually releases slightly as it reaches the fully closed position. I still haven't figured out a way to make it tight enough, without making it impossible to close or open.

Bottom Line:
This is a really bad design, that I do not trust putting my bike on. I am looking at replacement options.

Purchased At:   Luggage Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Older Thule fork mount carriers (worked great).

Submitted by Ben a Racer from SF, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    None to speak of.

Weaknesses:    This fork mount is one of the worst on the market. It caused 2 expensive problems and it nearly ruined a bike.

The fork pins do not close with even pressure on both sides. Unlike the Yakima design, which is essentially a self-centering QR lever, the Thule Peleton can clamp down with slightly unbalanced pressure. Thule has tried to fix this with their pricier Echelon. This is a HUGE freaking problem. I have been using fork-mounts for years and I know how to set the tension properly. In a crosswind, the drop-outs on one side of my fork became dislodged, causing the other side to literally break off of my carbon fork. Later, with a different bike, I went over a speedbump at less than 5mph. The rocking motion of the car caused the same exact problem...destroying another carbon fork.

Finally, I was driving at 60 mph on a freeway when the bolt that secures the front of the mount to the crossbars simply snapped! I was so lucky that I heard it and pulled over before the rear bolt snapped as well. There is only one bolt securing the front of this mount...It's just a bad design.

Bottom Line:
Avoid this product if you care about your bikes at all. Yakima has a better design and better service.

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Thule sidearm, yakima fork mounts, saris trunk mount.

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Sleek, secure, only one lock required, wide tray

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is THE best fork mount carrier and above/beyond the Velo Vise. I got this as a warranty replacement from my Velo Vise because of a broken fork mount adjust knob. Performance happily accepted the bad mount and replaced it! Once my bike was secured it was very stable even on bumpy dirt roads. Setup is a breeze. The wide tray can fit my Rampage 29ers, nice! The bike was very stable when I even made agressive turns on the road although I dont recommend you do that.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Velo Vise, Big Mouth

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabberwocky

Submitted by Brandy a Weekend Warrior from Owings Mills, Maryland

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to install. Solid fork mount. Bike is secure.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I initially wanting a roof top rack where I didn't have to remove the front tire. However, after doing a lot of research, I began to get skeptical about products such as the Thule Criterium, Thule Big Mouth, and Thule Sidearm. Each had its strengths/weaknesses, but several reviews had me concerned about the stability of the bike atop the car. In one review, I read that someone actually lost his bike from atop the car with the Criterium (user error, maybe?). The bottom line is that I didn't want to take the chance. All reviews of the Peloton were great, so I went with that. I'm a 5'5" small framed woman and had no trouble getting the bike atop the car and in the fork mounts. Once in the fork mounts, that bike wasn't going anywhere. Extremely easy to install and extremely easy to use. I highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Specialized WSD Stumpjumper

Submitted by Brando a Racer from Richmond VA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    price, lock cover, seems strong

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
I took the bike for a weekend getaway to the mountains of West Virginia. Route 33 all the way through to the destination, and the roads were windy and snakey enough that I felt like I needed to constantly look out the window at the bike to make sure it was still there. It didn't budge. 5 hours of those roads and not a peep nor a problem. Thule is replacing my V2 with a Peleton fork block and I'm much happier now. Claudia at Thule is very nice and helpful. Customer service is A+!

Favorite Trail:   singletrack