Thule Helium Aero 2 Bike Rack

The Thule Helium Aero 2-Bike Hitch Rack weighs half the weight of comparable hitch racks and offers a tool-free installation. This rack maximizes bike protection with a new Sleek Aero-Design. This design improves ground-clearance and increases the distanc

Submitted by monkies a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2014

Strengths:    It's light

Weaknesses:    It will eat up your expensive frames. Almost impossible to attach a bike without the adapters.

Bottom Line:
Simply one of the worst purchases I have ever made.

I bought this simply because I wanted a rack better than a cheesy trunk rack, and something light because I need to take it on/off since I don't live in the best area. Had my pricey Ibis Mojo with me, took it to the store and bought this rack. They attached it by forcing the frame into the holders, and I'm on my way. I was nervous about how much effort putting the bike on was...modern bikes have tight frames, so I don't know how the designers of this rack though this would work for all frames (more on that later). As I'm driving down the highway, the bike comes off one of the rack arms and dangling! I pull over and the rubber bands 'tightening' the bike to the rack just didn't hold. Oh yeah, and the rack scratched up the frame galore because the friction of the plastic rack bits on the frame aren't meshing.

Back to the store. Now I end up buying the attachment arm accessory that you put on your bike (headset to seat tube). Bought 2 of those for my bikes. Both of my bikes have scratch marks on the top tube from the plastic piece on the rack that you use to 'stabilize' the bike from swaying. I've put socks, and some padding on that piece...along with a neoprene sock around the top tube to stop further damage.

This thing carries my bike. That's it. It's a pain to get the bikes onto the rack even with the attachment arm. The whole rack has eaten up the frames on both bikes. The attachment arm also has rubbed the headset and handlebars and wearing those down...obviously friction will take it's toll.

Should have bought a tray style rack. This investment was worse than my trunk rack because at least that never ate up any paint on my bikes.

I've had this rack for over 2 years. The rubber bands to 'secure' the bike to the frame have all ripped and need periodic replacement (the rack is used 2x/week, and kept indoors when not in use) as well.

Absolute JUNK.

(NOTE: I accidentally gave a bad review for the Helium, not the Helium Aero...mtbr won't let me delete or edit my review)

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by henry

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Very Light! one handed! seconds to install!

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
expensive but worth it!

Thule Helium Aero 2?

Couldn't really find much on the Helium Aero hitch rack from Thule. Any current users? As much as I want a 1Up, getting fitted for two bikes is breaking the budget just a tad. I'm fine with a hang and swing type set up. The other choice is the Yakima Highlite 2...Read More »